Autopsy Blew our chances against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horse made a comment in the presser. Due to injuries we had the most games missing to best 22 this year outside of the Eagles. It’s astonishing we even made the 8. It’s an accomplishment.
I have complete faith we will run out games next year.

I think they need the break mentally and physically

We need to a good trade period shake up the best 22 a little

Our tall forwards played better than Carlton’s 3 forwards, we actually got let down by goals from smaller forwards and mids.

McLean played his best game last night
Glad someone pointed this out. Amartey has been smashed on here too but if he had kicked straight he would have had 3 goals. McLean breakout game. Logan had 2 goals. So 6 of our 9 goals came from our KPFs who are young and developing. FFS there are some harsh critics on here. It’s cause for optimism rather than doom and gloom.

Do doubt. This year has been absolute grind.
KPD and Ruck our main priorities? I reckon some depth through the mids would help too.
Would also be nice to see something (anything) from our 2022 draft. Concerning the lack of games from this cohort. Maybe they need another preseason to help.

Small pressure forward Konstanty - we need
Small defender Vickery - we need
Big bodied midfielder Mitchell - we need

Do doubt. This year has been absolute grind.
KPD and Ruck our main priorities? I reckon some depth through the mids would help too.

I think Mclean re signed is great

Get melican done

Gotta get some ruck depth, ideally a number one but worse case competent support for ladhams .

I just think experienced players over kids if possible

Right, finally managed to watch the 2nd half, full review now.

• Carlton's first 2 easy goals the story of our season. Its always straight out of the middle at the beginning of games. Midfield - what the frack are you doing lads? Near every game.
  • Hey! We ran out 4 quarters of footy! Let's do more of that next year:thumbsupv1:
  • McLean his best game for us. This signing more important that a lot of people thought at the time.
  • Carlton ave age younger than us - but bigger bodies all over the ground. We need to look at that - I'm looking at the gap in our midfield in particular - we cannot keep losing clearances in every game and expect to improve.
  • Was Rowbottom hurt? Not his best I thought. Florent has been poor these last few games.
  • MeliCAN - stepped up and played one of his best. In fact the defenders, bar a few, played a great game for us down back.
  • The forwards will need to work together hard over the off season, didn't spread as much as they could/should have.
  • Errol is bloody amazing:hearts:
  • Chad - the difference between his best and worst needs to close.

Can't expect to give away 30points in a final and have an easy time of it in the 2nd half. Played catch up all game and we were never in front. But mad respect for the boys because they bloody fought and fought hard to get back within a kick.

Last edited:
Not a lot of positives, but...

• Melican, McCartin and Blakey were superb down back. Goal threat of the two main talls + resting ruck was almost none.
  • Not sure if Amartey is in our best 22 come round one in 2024. Just doesn't do the basics well enough for long enough.
  • Parker should've been up forward from the first minute of the game.
  • Really wish we didn't have to use one of our best midfielders (Mills) as a tagger.
  • Sick of seeing us in a lot of finals just lose structure everywhere and resort to bombing it to a 1v3 or 2v4. Cost us so much, especially in the last quarter.
  • McLean was just about best on ground. Unreal performance.
Yep we have the will but not that way. Starting to become farcical tbh.

Right, finally managed to watch the 2nd half, full review now.

• Carlton's first 2 easy goals the story of our season. Its always straight out of the middle at the beginning of games. Midfield - what the frack are you doing lads? Near every game.
  • Hey! We ran out 4 quarters of footy! Let's do more of that next year:thumbsupv1:
  • McLean his best game for us. This signing more important that a lot of people thought at the time.
  • Carlton ave age younger than us - but bigger bodies all over the ground. We need to look at that - I'm looking at the gap in our midfield in particular - we cannot keep losing clearances in every game and expect to improve.
  • Was Rowbottom hurt? Not his best I thought. Florent has been poor these last few games.
  • MeliCAN - stepped up and played one of his best. In fact the defenders, bar a few, played a great game for us down back.
  • The forwards will need to work together hard over the off season, didn't spread as much as they could/should have.
  • Errol is bloody amazing:hearts:
  • Chad - the difference between his best and worst needs to close.

Can't expect to give away 30points in a final and have an easy time of it in the 2nd half. Played catch up all game and we were never in front. But mad respect for the boys because they bloody fought and fought hard to get back within a kick.
Younger than us?

Younger than us?
Yeah but they get top rated & high drafted players want come to them after their crap developing years at other interstate clubs like Cerra & no one ever wants to leave they their recruiters have the laziest of jobs & don't need to work anywhere near as hard as the interstate recruiters do. Same with Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn.
How often does a player want to leave MCG tenant clubs?
They have to be forced out in an embarrassing way like Grundy & Treloar at Pies.

It's embarrassing how much talent they have sitting in their reserves who are happy to keep signing on knowing they'll most likely stay as a reserve player. Paddy Dow a classic example.

Our blokes get picked off if they are in early development like Stephens, instead of toughing it out with us.
We'll see how that changes in the coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is any highlight from tonight and this season, I managed to convert my partner who was a Cats fan to Swannies.

She bought a beanie, scarf for this game and said to me after the game. "I want a number 21 badge "

Errol, established in the elite and managed to have a new #1 fan.
She just wants to follow a team that plays in finals

Not sold on Melican being the correct call but it was probably break even in the end.

Curnows dribble goal in the first was because McKay peeled off of Melican while he was ball watching

Missed spoil from Meli when McKay luckily missed from 1m out
Melican was absolutely the correct call. He was immense last night and shut down a Coleman medallist. If you want a game in which defenders don't make mistakes or get occasionally beaten then you will end up with a nil-all scoreline at the end of the match.
Even the best defenders in the history of the game made mistakes in every match and had goals kicked in them.
Melican was bloody good.

Yep, Blues younger than us average age. And we of course had significantly more finals experience.

However, the stats which counted the most was contested ball etc. All the rest is just frosting.
Are you certain about that. I’m sure I read in one of the previews that our average age was younger for this game? Also horse mentioned in the presser that we were the youngest or second youngest of all teams selected 1st week finals.

Melican was absolutely the correct call. He was immense last night and shut down a Coleman medallist. If you want a game in which defenders don't make mistakes or get occasionally beaten then you will end up with a nil-all scoreline at the end of the match.
Even the best defenders in the history of the game made mistakes in every match and had goals kicked in them.
Melican was bloody good.
He also uses the ball well. Hope his body holds up.

Younger than us?

Are you certain about that. I’m sure I read in one of the previews that our average age was younger for this game? Also horse mentioned in the presser that we were the youngest or second youngest of all teams selected 1st week finals.
Ooops - I stand corrected.
Cartlon 26yrs 7mnth
Swans 25yr 9mnth

Swans22 wrote
Horse made a comment in the presser. Due to injuries we had the most games missing to best 22 this year outside of the Eagles. It’s astonishing we even made the 8. It’s an accomplishment.
I have complete faith we will run out games next year.
I think they need the break mentally and physically

We need to a good trade period shake up the best 22 a little
Horse also said
"Our young players have been fantastic because they've come through the system.. They've been enormous"

So yep, a good trade period to shake things up maybe a little.
As a supporter Im loyal to the players we draft more so than trade. Reckon theres still plenty of upside/improvement in this group

Good lord, we were actually ahead on clearances in the first quarter.

In the first quarter Swans kicked 1.5 to Carlton’s 3.2

Most of all, Swans were +7 in clearance which was Carlton’s worst quarter since Round 14, but from then it became a customary Carlton game based on contest and clearance.

After quarter time, Carlton were +23 contested ball, +19 ground ball, +10 clearance and +10 inside 50s.

Our inefficiency going inside 50 cost us. They kept dropping back deep inside 50 (weitering) and we kept kicking to that outnumber rather than hitting a shorter target. It was soo frustrating. Thought we had played a better overall game but they had better transition into their fwd 50.

Contested possession smacking again. We really need to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back