Autopsy Blew our chances against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Tom Papley think he got that Carlton trade? seems to want to play for them

He was ****ing woeful, no scoreboard impact and butchered it non stop

He is unreliable in big moments, get out of the leadership group asap

Last night's game just sorta crystalized everything I think I already knew about us and have been saying for a long time.

That McLean is legit. He just churned out breakout game after breakout game in the second half of this year, proving it's no fluke, and last night's was the best of the lot.

That McCartin can be an elite, match-winnning/saving defender. If we perform better up the ground and get the W, then one of the major talking points out of this game is McCartin doing a number on the Coleman Medallist.

That we really do need Mills & Rowbottom firing. I highlighted these two as players we needed to have big games (and big years, going all the way back to pre-season.) They got less contested possessions combined than any of Cripps, Hewett & Walsh. One was tagging, the other didn't look right from the get go.

That Gulden really is the kind of cool customer who doesn't see the game in moments of importance or pressure. It's all the same to him. Six goals up in a dead rubber or five goals down in a must-win final, his level of application and intensity doesn't waver.

That Parker can be a very dangerous forward, but I won't open that can of worms.

That you can generate more scoring shots in a game than your opponents but still be the inferior team. All year we have had no problem generating our fair share of shots at goal, but too many of them feel individual-based. Individuals just pulling brilliant things out of their arse to give us a chance and keep us in games. They haven't felt system-based enough for me and it's why we fail to turn our goals into genuine, sustained momentum.

And on a slightly more sour note, once again I'm left lamenting a leadership void in a final. We just don't get enough of a return from our senior core in these games, over and over. Heeney dropping an absolute sitter in the middle of the ground, Parker missing tackles, Lloyd & Rampe spraying kicks, Papley making dumb decisions. It all adds up.

Onto next year.

He also uses the ball well. Hope his body holds up.

this one I don’t agree with.

melican got a bit lucky in the night as McKay frankly should have kicked two goals on him. But his use by foot was pretty ordinary last night - trying to pinpoint targets probably isn’t his go.

I would just once like to say ahh well we lost that final but (insert someone in the leadership group) did their best to pull us over the line.

Instead it's just ahh well we lost that final and our leaders were non-factors.

So frustrating.
Gulden the only one really trying to make something out of nothing going forward, which sums up the season.

i mean north interchange crows goal etc probably finish 12th

Disappointed overall still

especially when it's guys like Papley Heeney parker (good forward second half last night) being so patchy
I mean injuries to key positional players all season, if that doesn't happen probably finish higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night's game just sorta crystalized everything I think I already knew about us and have been saying for a long time.

That McLean is legit. He just churned out breakout game after breakout game in the second half of this year, proving it's no fluke, and last night's was the best of the lot.

That McCartin can be an elite, match-winnning/saving defender. If we perform better up the ground and get the W, then one of the major talking points out of this game is McCartin doing a number on the Coleman Medallist.

That we really do need Mills & Rowbottom firing. I highlighted these two as players we needed to have big games (and big years, going all the way back to pre-season.) They got less contested possessions combined than any of Cripps, Hewett & Walsh. One was tagging, the other didn't look right from the get go.

That Gulden really is the kind of cool customer who doesn't see the game in moments of importance or pressure. It's all the same to him. Six goals up in a dead rubber or five goals down in a must-win final, his level of application and intensity doesn't waver.

That Parker can be a very dangerous forward, but I won't open that can of worms.

That you can generate more scoring shots in a game than your opponents but still be the inferior team. All year we have had no problem generating our fair share of shots at goal, but too many of them feel individual-based. Individuals just pulling brilliant things out of their arse to give us a chance and keep us in games. They haven't felt system-based enough for me and it's why we fail to turn our goals into genuine, sustained momentum.

And on a slightly more sour note, once again I'm left lamenting a leadership void in a final. We just don't get enough of a return from our senior core in these games, over and over. Heeney dropping an absolute sitter in the middle of the ground, Parker missing tackles, Lloyd & Rampe spraying kicks, Papley making dumb decisions. It all adds up.

Onto next year.

Caesar i hope you have recovered mate was looking forward to your thoughts.

Onto next year.
Spot on. More could be added but that's pretty damned right.

I'm tempted to put amartey back in the off season. He's a strong mark but he's not a natural forward.

back? he would probably pull a hammy or need to camp overnight in the centre to get there

My wishes for 2024;

1. We need a decent ruck who is competitive and can take a decent mark occasionally around the ground.
2. We need some changes in the coaches box, to finish 17th in clearances is a disgrace for a finals team. 95% of midfield clearances ended up in our backline. Turn that around and give our forwards a chance and we instantly look more dangerous.
3. Midfield positioning - not enough tactical changes from our coachs and players. We are too defensively focused, free mills up to get the footy and not always tag an opposition player
4. Practice goal kicking during the off-season
5. Improve fitness during the off-season - I don't know if we were as fit as we needed to be in 2023
6. Put a lot of time into Buller and Arnold during the off-season to fast track their development
7. Need to transition to new coach - start succession plan in 2024. Swans are too predictable. How many times do our forwards push too far up the ground that we have no one to kick too in our forward line. Has been happening for years now. My opinion is Voss outcoached Longmire in the first half. Their backline structure was impressive.
8. Heeney, Paps and Warner need a big summer
9. Work on midfield clearances over the off season.
10. Stop Amartety, McLean and Logan all competing for the same forward line mark and having no crumbers around. We really lacked forward line pressure in 2023. Ball came out to easily for our opposition this year.
11. We have to be brave and active during trade and draft period, we can't afford to stand still again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back