Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well then it makes it even more inconceivable!

We'd be willing to play someone else decent dollars but not one of our own?

Because that always works out so well?

I know I am repeating myself, but a good chunk of our list will be retired by the end of 2014, someone has to explain this to me in a more rational way.

The ONLY way I can fathom it is that either the 475K story is true, or BJ is going to carry long term effects from his hip injury and it was more significant than we thought.

Otherwise it's one of the more foolish things I've heard in relation to the club in awhile.

What about if we're making a big play for a gun fullback such as James Frawley and we needed to free up a significant amount of salary cap space?

I agree with your comment.

How do you know that?

People happy to launch into other people and their sources but we're happy to guess that BJ won't get back to his best football?

Because that's all it is, a guess.

He could be past it, he could also have legit reasons and return to his best after enjoying no surgery this year.

What about if we're making a big play for a gun fullback such as James Frawley and we needed to free up a significant amount of salary cap space?

Tell you what, for one, the club would want to land the said player and not stuff it up if it is such a reason.

Still, can't see where all the cash is going....and on top of that, club denies we even are that tight.

475 - 600 = 125K....hardly bank breaking stuff.

That's like a Polo, Peake delisting away from getting it done isn't it?

I love the faith Saints fans have put in Pelchen, it's admirable, but I've physically seen BJ give everything to win this side a flag....Chris has a while to go yet before he gets that kind of trust from me.

I know I am repeating myself, but a good chunk of our list will be retired by the end of 2014, someone has to explain this to me in a more rational way.

The ONLY way I can fathom it is that either the 475K story is true, or BJ is going to carry long term effects from his hip injury and it was more significant than we thought.

Otherwise it's one of the more foolish things I've heard in relation to the club in awhile.
Of course the 475K offer is true, if it was $1.9 million as reported he would have signed on the dotted line. He would not be leaving St Kilda unless he felt he had no other option, but that's now professional sports under this absurd new rule.
We get to develop them and then in their prime they are offered big dollars and off they go to a huge club, ala the NBA. The AFL has created the biggest monster in this rule IMO, when was the last time a small market NBA team won a championship?

At the end of the day, we've made a judgement of BJs value to the club for the coming 3 years and it's not $700k a season for 4 years. We move forward with pick 13 (surely?) and some space in the coming years to sign a FA of our own.

As to BJ: he has been great for us and if the ball bounced the right way in 2010 would go down as a club legend. As it is, he has always played with passion for us and I'll have nothing but positive memories of his contribution to our beloved saints.

The king is dead, love live the king...

If we don't pick up any FA's do we know that we will receive pick 13? Surely that will help determine how much we really 'want' Goddard?

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...dard-plans-20120926-26lli.html?skin=text-only

The Saints have so far offered a three-year deal worth about $1.9 million. Goddard wants a four-year contract and can expect a pay rise if he were to leave.

AFL salary cap manager Ken Wood and operations manager Adrian Anderson distributed separate documents to clubs this week outlining free agency rules, compensation and adjustments to the veterans' allowance.

Clubs can ask for an indication of what compensation they would receive for losing a player from the AFL but, as Wood says, will only know the true extent when the free agency period ends on October 19, and by no later than midday on October 23.

Anderson says in the document: ''We confirm that the compensation formula will produce a points rating for players based on two factors: 1) new contract of the free agent and 2) age of the free agent.

''Draft picks will be allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period. Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places: first round, end first round, second round, end of second round and third round.''

how is this one of the more 'foolish' things you have heard in relation to our club?

as has been said by posters watters wants our salary cap to reflect that of geelong. thus goddard must have been chasing a contract which falls outside of this model. which is why he is leaving.

now, not all players are able to demand the type of contract goddard can. that is because not all players are equal. so let's say a player next year becomes available, fills our need (perhaps kpd) and demands a contract that falls within the criteria. would it then be 'foolish' for the saints to offer him a contract? no.

Of course the 475K offer is true, if it was $1.9 million as reported he would have signed on the dotted line. He would not be leaving St Kilda unless he felt he had no other option, but that's now professional sports under this absurd new rule.

I believe you Brian, I was merely making a point of the foolishness of it.

sad thing is not even essendon supporters are happy with the alleged contract he is going to sign. not happy with the $$$ nor the years.

theres a bigger story in this: wheres all the freo fans now, that said he was a certainty to be at cockburn next year? didnt he have golf course memberships and all that shiz

We get to develop them and then in their prime they are offered big dollars and off they go to a huge club, ala the NBA. The AFL has created the biggest monster in this rule IMO, when was the last time a small market NBA team won a championship?

San Antonio.

You need to stop comparing the AFL to the NBA. The NBA have a soft cap which obviously the richer teams take advantage of, AFL teams can't do that.

This comparison is not valid. A club can be as huge as they want, a hard cap gives them the exact same spending power as a small club. The NFL has Free Agency, yet Green Bay, one of the smallest markets in the US competes every single year and won it 2 years ago. The reason this works in the NBA is the soft cap and "luxury tax". It's a broken system, and one we are far away from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not fussed, we've known this was coming for ages so I'm a bit 'meh' now. Perhaps if we had drafted and recruited well in the last 4 years then I'd be more inclined to keep him, but no it was ****ing awful, so Im prepared to let BJ go for unders so we can kick start a new era.

Can't wait to still be reading about this in 3 years tho.

Im not fussed, we've known this was coming for ages so I'm a bit 'meh' now. Perhaps if we had drafted and recruited well in the last 4 years then I'd be more inclined to keep him, but no it was ******* awful, so Im prepared to let BJ go for unders so we can kick start a new era.

Can't wait to still be reading about this in 3 years tho.

More than any other year we need to nail pick 12 and 13. I don't want to be reading about this 3 years later either...

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...dard-plans-20120926-26lli.html?skin=text-only

The Saints have so far offered a three-year deal worth about $1.9 million. Goddard wants a four-year contract and can expect a pay rise if he were to leave.

AFL salary cap manager Ken Wood and operations manager Adrian Anderson distributed separate documents to clubs this week outlining free agency rules, compensation and adjustments to the veterans' allowance.

Clubs can ask for an indication of what compensation they would receive for losing a player from the AFL but, as Wood says, will only know the true extent when the free agency period ends on October 19, and by no later than midday on October 23.

Anderson says in the document: ''We confirm that the compensation formula will produce a points rating for players based on two factors: 1) new contract of the free agent and 2) age of the free agent.

''Draft picks will be allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period. Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places: first round, end first round, second round, end of second round and third round.''

Seems pretty clean cut; An example:

To satisfy band 1 compo player is aged no older than 28 and paid 550k +

I assume we know what our compensation will be and the only thing that can change it is by us obtaining a FA ourselves which I also assume we know whether we will/won't.

Pretty obvious that Pelchin has weighed up: Goddard vs pick 13 and likely salary cap relief - And it looks like we're going with the latter.

Could You Stop This 22 If This Who We Get
FB: Fletcher, Carlise, Hardingham
HB: Heppell, Hurley, Dempsey
C: Goddard, Watson, Stanton
HF: Zakarakis, Ryder, Caddy
FF: Daniher , Crameri, Winderlich
FOLL: Bellchambers, Hocking, Moloney
INT: Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Hibbard

Looks very similar to the side we destroyed by 70 odd points earlier this year.

Realistically (or pessimistically) we won't be in premiership contention for until at least 2016 by which time Goddard will be in a retirement home, I would be much happier sacrificing him now and picking up a good pick that might end up being a star.

Could You Stop This 22 If This Who We Get
FB: Fletcher, Carlise, Hardingham
HB: Heppell, Hurley, Dempsey
C: Goddard, Watson, Stanton
HF: Zakarakis, Ryder, Caddy
FF: Daniher , Crameri, Winderlich
FOLL: Bellchambers, Hocking, Moloney
INT: Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Hibbard

Looks great on paper but the only trouble is half of them will be missing with soft tissue injuries.

how is this one of the more 'foolish' things you have heard in relation to our club?

as has been said by posters watters wants our salary cap to reflect that of geelong. thus goddard must have been chasing a contract which falls outside of this model. which is why he is leaving.

now, not all players are able to demand the type of contract goddard can. that is because not all players are equal. so let's say a player next year becomes available, fills our need (perhaps kpd) and demands a contract that falls within the criteria. would it then be 'foolish' for the saints to offer him a contract? no.

Geelongs dynasty existed before free agency.

Tell you what, for one, the club would want to land the said player and not stuff it up if it is such a reason.

Still, can't see where all the cash is going....and on top of that, club denies we even are that tight.

475 - 600 = 125K....hardly bank breaking stuff.

That's like a Polo, Peake delisting away from getting it done isn't it?

I love the faith Saints fans have put in Pelchen, it's admirable, but I've physically seen BJ give everything to win this side a flag....Chris has a while to go yet before he gets that kind of trust from me.
I'd assume it's so we can afford to bring other good players in that won't break the $600k rule. Hypothetically say someone like Frawley is on $300k but wants $450k, if we continued to pay our stars huge money then we wouldn't be able to afford him. It allows a more even spread which in turn will make the team more even.

More than any other year we need to nail pick 12 and 13. I don't want to be reading about this 3 years later either...
Yep for sure. I don't see Caddy coming this way so back to back first rounders is absolutely golden for us.

BJ has been a great player for the Saints. The club is making decisions now, to refresh the list and do what the Saints normally haven't done. In the past when we have a run at a flag, ie 1997, the list ages, we don't trade players (stars included), don't introduce youth and then bottom out.
- 1997 - 2nd
- 1998 - 6th
- 1999 - 10th
- 2000 - 16th (From Grand Final to Wooden Spoon in three years)
- 2001 - 15th
- 2002 - 15th
- 2003 - 11th
- 2004 - 3rd

We went from playing off in the Grand Final, to wooden spoon, in three years.

Doing what we normally do, we will spend years at, or near the bottom. If the club were not making the changes, they are now, we would be following, what we have always done. Do you seriously want to spend the next four, or five years, down at the bottom of the ladder, before we are playing finals again?

None of this is a personal attack on BJ, but a realisation that we need to get more first round draft choices, trade other players, for upgraded picks and players of the right age, to fill gaps that we have in our developing team structure and list.

Obviously we need to draft and trade very well, to get the players that will enable us to move more quickly back in to the top 8 and then push again for a second premiership. But the alternative is to spend dispiriting years down at the bottom (if you think thats fun, look at Melbourne).

Well done to the Club for taking the right route and making the necessary changes now.

theres a bigger story in this: wheres all the freo fans now, that said he was a certainty to be at cockburn next year? didnt he have golf course memberships and all that shiz
Firstly, I'm not sure Goddard NOT coming to Freo is a bigger story than Goddard going to Essendon, and secondly, just because Robbo says "it is understood" doesn't make it so. It's not over yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back