Bulldogs Eyewitness -The Social Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfectly said.

I'm sure all his teammates cringe when they see stuff like this.

It's ok, we can critique our players sometimes. I want them all to succeed and will support them but Baz's behavior on and off field over the last 18month has been a massive turn off.
I imagine his teammates think it’s funny and just take the piss out of him.

This comment summed it up perfectly.

How did we get from Liam Picken & Dale Morris to this 😭😭

Screenshot_2022-09-14-08-14-11-13_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Last edited:

He’s not out every day giving interviews plugging his sponsors, so I think a little flexibility in people’s thinking wouldn’t hurt. He gives one interview at a non-football event and folks are crapping all over him. It’s highly likely the subsidy provided by his sponsors will help us retain him if a big club offer comes his way. Years gone by we would have killed for a player with wider public and media appeal and now we have one and folks are still not happy. I can recall when Chris Grant appeared in a Cadbury commercial thinking how incredible it was to see a Bulldogs jumper on an ad. I’d like to think we can now aim a little higher because of players like Bailey. Anyway, I’m sure some of you will feel differently and let me know but I’m just exercising my right to a view like all of you. Cheers HD

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Baz's teammates would definitely cringe when they see his inflated bank account from all the sponsors he has, how can I get me some of that they would think! The reality is his behaviour is not viewed as cringe for 15-21 year olds, I find him very vanilla and basically a corporate shill but whatever works for the young man.

Baz's teammates would definitely cringe when they see his inflated bank account from all the sponsors he has, how can I get me some of that they would think! The reality is his behaviour is not viewed as cringe for 15-21 year olds, I find him very vanilla and basically a corporate shill but whatever works for the young man.
The young people love him and their points of interest are important for future engagement in the game and the league. They might look back in ten years’ time and laugh at him and themselves but hopefully by then he’ll have evolved into a seriously good player.

Short memories obviously, he was easily all Australian up until the suspension (which was bullshit) and performing a lot better than more highly rated teammates, won us multiple finals last year and is 21.

Multiple AA U22s, would be just about first mid u22 picked, Walsh aside, To say he’s struggling on field is bullshit of the highest order. But he has sponsors and gets a lot of attention so he’s a w***er 🤷‍♂️
I think you're being generous there dftw. He has been hovering around the margins of good B grader, low A grader. No better. There are a LOT of footballers in that range.

Dashing out of the midfield occasionally with flowing locks and then failing to kick to advantage let alone hit a target doesn't do it for me. He needs to develop the hurt factor that he inflicted in last years' finals (the ice in the veins moments) and he needs to do that at a consistently high level if he wants to become an elite midfielder.

Let's see if his much written about dedication to self development runs that deep. Or has his head been turned by his record twitter following, social media in general and his lucrative sponsorships?

He's still young (21) and he has plenty of time to become a champion player. Remember Petracca (26) was pretty ordinary for a #2 pick until just 2-3 years ago.

I think Baz needs a strong mentor, especially right now. Hope he's got one.

He’s not out every day giving interviews plugging his sponsors, so I think a little flexibility in people’s thinking wouldn’t hurt. He gives one interview at a non-football event and folks are crapping all over him. It’s highly likely the subsidy provided by his sponsors will help us retain him if a big club offer comes his way. Years gone by we would have killed for a player with wider public and media appeal and now we have one and folks are still not happy. I can recall when Chris Grant appeared in a Cadbury commercial thinking how incredible it was to see a Bulldogs jumper on an ad. I’d like to think we can now aim a little higher because of players like Bailey. Anyway, I’m sure some of you will feel differently and let me know but I’m just exercising my right to a view like all of you. Cheers HD

No problem with any of his off field exploits unless they affect his football or the team cohesion. There’s no reason he can’t have both (good football and ample off field presence) but he’s got to be very disciplined in how he goes about both.

That’s why I hope he has wise heads around him.

No problem with any of his off field exploits unless they affect his football or the team cohesion. There’s no reason he can’t have both (good football and ample off field presence) but he’s got to be very disciplined in how he goes about both.

That’s why I hope he has wise heads around him.

Of course, and I should have added that I too hope the structure around him will allow him to grow and develop in all areas.

Feels like there are some grumpy old blokes taking shots at a young fella.

The issue for me is his kicking. Beyond that more power to him.

I reckon we have a mountain of young kids that support the dogs because of Bazalenka.

And to be honest, he could have zero sponsors and a shaved head and I think he’d still miss targets!

Next evolution in Baz is to just be more damaging with less and to hit the scoreboard! Give me 22 touches at decent efficiency and a goal game over 35 nothing possessions. 6 goals this year is not good enough, especially when he can cover 50m easily on the run.

I think you're being generous there dftw. He has been hovering around the margins of good B grader, low A grader. No better. There are a LOT of footballers in that range.

Dashing out of the midfield occasionally with flowing locks and then failing to kick to advantage let alone hit a target doesn't do it for me. He needs to develop the hurt factor that he inflicted in last years' finals (the ice in the veins moments) and he needs to do that at a consistently high level if he wants to become an elite midfielder.

Let's see if his much written about dedication to self development runs that deep. Or has his head been turned by his record twitter following, social media in general and his lucrative sponsorships?

He's still young (21) and he has plenty of time to become a champion player. Remember Petracca (26) was pretty ordinary for a #2 pick until just 2-3 years ago.

What bits being generous? He was a genuine A grader across the first half a season and was a strong consideration for AA at that point.

Here’s one team I can find but if you went back through the main board thread he’d be in more than not, he was racking up huge numbers, big tackle counts, was damaging with SA’s & SI

Yeah his season pittered out after the suspension and he was poor by foot in the 2nd half of the year but he’s 21 ffs, he’ll work on his weaknesses, what players are complete at 21?

He did win us multiple finals, and he has had multiple AA u22 so im not sure what parts incorrect?

I’m not saying he’s perfect or elite but to say he hasn’t performed on field is just plain wrong, which is what I was quoting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really well said. I think it’s a but cringey but Idont think it directly harms anyone, we get the strategic advantage of him perhaps not going off to seek more money from other clubs and I personally prefer him spruiking stuff like this rather than booze or gambling. But that’s just me.

Well said.

He also tries to play hero football too much. Wanting to to be the star of the show. Wanting to be one of the best in the comp is great but you also have to do the team things, that will help others around you succeed.

His work around stoppages is also a massive liability. If you watch him closely he will get sucked into the ball and leave wide open gaps for the opposition to exploit. And then when has has to win a 50/50 ball or take a strong overhead mark he rarely puts his body on the line.

What bits being generous? He was a genuine A grader across the first half a season and was a strong consideration for AA at that point.

Here’s one team I can find but if you went back through the main board thread he’d be in more than not, he was racking up huge numbers, big tackle counts, was damaging with SA’s & SI

Yeah his season pittered out after the suspension and he was poor by foot in the 2nd half of the year but he’s 21 ffs, he’ll work on his weaknesses, what players are complete at 21?

He did win us multiple finals, and he has had multiple AA u22 so im not sure what parts incorrect?

I’m not saying he’s perfect or elite but to say he hasn’t performed on field is just plain wrong, which is what I was quoting
I wouldn't have him anywhere near the AA side at any point of the season as he wasn't just poor by foot in the 2nd half of the year, but as we know opinions are like arseholes....

Honestly who cares. Sponsors love him because 16 year old girls to who to MLC and have a vague, passing interest in footy follow him on instagram and he's slightly closer to the TikTok social media star than most AFL players (while actually being far removed from genuine social media stars). I don't think Cotton On really care if he's missing a target by foot.

Well said.

He also tries to play hero football too much. Wanting to to be the star of the show. Wanting to be one of the best in the comp is great but you also have to do the team things, that will help others around you succeed.

His work around stoppages is also a massive liability. If you watch him closely he will get sucked into the ball and leave wide open gaps for the opposition to exploit. And then when has has to win a 50/50 ball or take a strong overhead mark he rarely puts his body on the line.
In fact he was the hero of the finals last year, 2 of the games at least. I’m sure he can come back to good form with a solid preseason. People forget how hard AFL is for young players, when you are idolised one week then your mistakes are amplified the next.

Nailed it. Hope he has that strong mentor to keep it all in check so hopefully over the next decade he's winning Brownlows and flags for us.

The dumping on Bailey Smith in this thread is mystifying to me. We should be wrapt that a Bulldogs player has such a social media and mainstream media profile - he helps make our club more relevant and we have a presence in the public eye that usually only occurs for the bigger clubs with their, often manufactured, megastars.

Smith's footy this season has been a little disappointing in some respects but he is young and will continue to improve.

Are we turning into Richmond...eating our own alive?

I think everyone is very disappointed about the season we have just had, especially as we were all hoping for redemption this year after last year’s meek defeat in the GF. I think we are just projecting our distorted disappointment at random targets.

We just have to remember that we still have the bones of a very good side, we picked up two bookends in years when we made finals and were in contention in Darcy and Marra (what we would have given for talent like them in 2008-10). One day we will look back at this in retrospect with some amusement.

The dumping on Bailey Smith in this thread is mystifying to me. We should be wrapt that a Bulldogs player has such a social media and mainstream media profile - he helps make our club more relevant and we have a presence in the public eye that usually only occurs for the bigger clubs with their, often manufactured, megastars.

Smith's footy this season has been a little disappointing in some respects but he is young and will continue to improve.

Are we turning into Richmond...eating our own alive?
Is it really dumping?

Seems to me that there are those who are mildly critical of his football (as you and I are). And some are critical of his off field life. Maybe the dumping you are referring to is in relation to the latter and the fact that he’s not your typical professional footballer?

Or maybe we set our expectations too high after his excellent finals form.

The two mid-year incidents (“that” photo and the uncharacteristic head butt) coincided with the edge coming off his great early season form. It’s hard to dismiss that thought although I guess there could be other causes such as a lingering injury.

For me his off field life is only an issue if it affects his playing performance. If he manages that properly there’s a huge upside to Bailey Smith the footballer. As we’ve both pointed out he’s young - he’s probably 3-4 years off his peak.

Is it really dumping?

Seems to me that there are those who are mildly critical of his football (as you and I are). And some are critical of his off field life. Maybe the dumping you are referring to is in relation to the latter and the fact that he’s not your typical professional footballer?

Or maybe we set our expectations too high after his excellent finals form.

The two mid-year incidents (“that” photo and the uncharacteristic head butt) coincided with the edge coming off his great early season form. It’s hard to dismiss that thought although I guess there could be other causes such as a lingering injury.

For me his off field life is only an issue if it affects his playing performance. If he manages that properly there’s a huge upside to Bailey Smith the footballer. As we’ve both pointed out he’s young - he’s probably 3-4 years off his peak.
Yes, a number of the posts are dumping on Smith in my view....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs Eyewitness -The Social Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back