Bulldogs Sydney interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2006
On the golf course..
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  • THE Western Bulldogs have not ruled out playing matches in western Sydney if asked by the AFL to push the game in the new frontier.
But club president David Smorgon stressed last night any part-time presence in the Harbour City would not be the first step in a relocation.

"I would never preside over the Bulldogs being relocated or merging," Smorgon said.

"I have been consistent on that since 1996. I would resign before that would happen under my presidency."

The Dogs have a deal worth about $1 million to play one home match in Darwin and one in Canberra until the end of the 2009 season.

Smorgon said the deals were done by the AFL, which would have a large say in where the club headed next for sold "home" games.

Reports at the weekend suggested the Dogs were open to playing up to six away games in western Sydney, but Smorgon said there had been no discussion on the matter with the AFL.

Asked if the Dogs would consider western Sydney for one or two home games if the AFL came knocking, Smorgon said: "Post-2009 season, I wouldn't rule it out . . . I wouldn't rule it in, either.

"We as a club have always shown ourselves to be flexible and we have got to continue to improve our financial position."

Smorgon said that despite encouraging signs, the club would more than likely have to sell home games beyond 2009 to boost its bottom line.

"If there is an opportunity for away games or home games to assist in the creation of a team or promotion in western Sydney, it's something Campbell Rose, as our CEO, would be looking at," he said.

"They (AFL) did the deals with Canberra and Darwin.

"I would say it is going to be a combination of where the AFL wants to take the game, promote the game and the view of the Bulldogs."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23243085-19742,00.html

Re: Bulldos' Sydney interest

It's all about $$$$$$$, not relocation, although of course the Doomsayers and Negative Nellies around here will read more into it than what David Smorgon has stated.

Reports at the weekend suggested the Dogs were open to playing up to six away games in western Sydney, but Smorgon said there had been no discussion on the matter with the AFL.

6 AWAY games?? How good would that be if we ended up with 11 home games in Melbourne and 6 away games for $$$$$$ in Sydney...........???

Not sure how it would work, and who we would play and how remuneration would be doled out. Sounds kinda weird , but I remember Collingwood suggesting they would play 8 or so AWAY games in Sydney and the rest at the MCG a few years back. Would have been like having 2 Home Grounds.

"I would never preside over the Bulldogs being relocated or merging," Smorgon said.

"I have been consistent on that since 1996. I would resign before that would happen under my presidency."

That's all the reassurance I need to know that we are, and will remain, the Western Bulldogs based out of Whitten Oval in Melbourne's West.

If Smorgon resigns then I will certainly worry though......

Well its just progressed from an unfounded rumour 2 weeks ago to a substantiated fact now.

Where is this leak at the club coming from ? Or is it a leak at AFL HQ ?

Well its just progressed from an unfounded rumour 2 weeks ago to a substantiated fact now.

Where is this leak at the club coming from ? Or is it a leak at AFL HQ ?

How do you figure that? There has been NO discussion with the AFL.

Here is how the conversation probably went.

Reporter: So Mr. Smorgon, would the Bulldogs be open to playing some home games in Western Sydney?

David: Post-2009 season, I wouldn't rule it out . . . I wouldn't rule it in, either.

Reporter gets back to desk and writes the truth

THE Western Bulldogs have not ruled out playing matches in western Sydney if asked by the AFL to push the game in the new frontier.

Yet somehow this is taken as though we are suddenly playing games in Western Sydney.

Why do we have to be one of the clubs that waste a perfectly good home ground advantage for this. The AFL has signinalled its intention that a second Sydney team is certainty so why then should be bother with playing games there?

Please play in Brisbane if you have to take a home game interstate:D

Why do we have to be one of the clubs that waste a perfectly good home ground advantage for this. The AFL has signinalled its intention that a second Sydney team is certainty so why then should be bother with playing games there?

Because this new side will not be formed til approx. 2012. From 2010 the AFL would be keen to play games in the Western Sydney region to start to increase there exposure of the game.

If the club can play a few games each season til this new team is formed rather than in Canberra or Darwin and for increased $$'s then why not?

Please play in Brisbane if you have to take a home game interstate:D

Fitz, they are away games, not home games. Thats the good thing, 6 of your away games sort of become like home games because you get used to the ground. Flipside is you travel at least 6 times a year which is on the high side for a melbourne based club, but all the interstate clubs have shown that travel is not all its made out to be, having won premierships recently (except freo, who perhaps should sail to their away matches)

How do you figure that? There has been NO discussion with the AFL.

Here is how the conversation probably went.

Reporter: So Mr. Smorgon, would the Bulldogs be open to playing some home games in Western Sydney?

David: Post-2009 season, I wouldn't rule it out . . . I wouldn't rule it in, either.

Reporter gets back to desk and writes the truth

Yet somehow this is taken as though we are suddenly playing games in Western Sydney.

robbo3005 must be the new "nostradamus"

7th February 2008, 19:01 #46
robbo3005
BigFooty Member

Other Teams: Bulldogs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry Rot will be happy they are suggesting that we will play 4 games out of Telstra Stadium (Sydney) in 2009.

There will be a big mid week announcement next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because this new side will not be formed til approx. 2012. From 2010 the AFL would be keen to play games in the Western Sydney region to start to increase there exposure of the game.

If the club can play a few games each season til this new team is formed rather than in Canberra or Darwin and for increased $$'s then why not?

If we're going to do, IMHO we should make good FTA TV coverage of ours a dealbreaker for exposure for the club.

The whole idea of a Sydney Western suburbs AFL push is flawed anyway while Ch7 shows games at 1.30am up here.

Re: Bulldos' Sydney interest

Collingwood wanted away games at the GC/

Ok, I didn't hear of that.

I do know that a few years back that when the AFL mooted a bigger push into the Sydney market that Collingwood said they would play there, away games only and that would have included most if not all of their away games.

From memory the AFL and the Clubs, especially Sydney, were dead against giving Collingwood such an advantage of having 2 home grounds.

Yep i picked up the paper today and read the first 4 lines of that article and just went F***.

I don't want to lose 6 games in Melbourne we would lose support and memberships. :(

Im extremely concerned. Its a bad move every way I look at it. Theres no way you go play games in 2010 and 2011 and then they start a new team in 2012. Its a ploy to get us in there. Id rather play more games in Darwin or Canberra, bot those cities can't support a full time team so theres less chance of getting stooged.

^^^^
Now Aker, that's called leading with your chin! :D

I'll stick in for the 15 rounds, Smorgo's handing out mouthgards.

Bulldogs' Sydney interest

Mark Stevens | February 20, 2008 12:00am

THE Western Bulldogs have not ruled out playing matches in western Sydney if asked by the AFL to push the game in the new frontier. But club president David Smorgon stressed last night any part-time presence in the Harbour City would not be the first step in a relocation.

How do you choose to play away games in Sydney? They have to be someones home games so how will you move those? I don't understand how it will work. Is it Nab games or real games-
Round ?? Port (H) - Dogs (A)- moved to Sydney?
I must be stupid??

I hope your club's board does not ignore what North have had to put up with over about a decade. Jumping around different cities was cancerous and moving into a location where the AFL have stated they want a team was attempting suicide.

If you play games there, they will be home games. The club would then need to 'buy' home games off other clubs like Hawthorn does. Playing in Sydney may be a great way to cash in, but the benefits may be offset by the negatives... and the AFL will always be looking to pull the rug out from under your feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs Sydney interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back