Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any footage of Loveless anywhere? For so long I’ve wanted to revisit those one-handed contested marks!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I still remember the reserves game at WO where he ran from FF to FB to get involved in a fight, he was a bit of a wild boy back then.

You tube would probably have something

I struggle to see how Wallis doesn’t offer more than Hannan. Thought Mitch played really well.
Speed is the thing, Wallis was pretty good when he came on but we need players to block and pressure and you need speed to do that. Hannans role is to do a lot of that heavy lifting blocking it’s what Richards was doing last year but Richards is better suited back

English beat Nic Nat. Puts those ruck concerns to bed.
Naughton is AA CHF this year.
Richards fantastic.
Bont will win the Brownlow.
Baz back into form with one of his best games of his career.
Macrae, Daniel, Duryea as good as ever.
Bruce played a very unselfish game again, loving his role in this side.

Love your passion but I’ve watched the game & analysed the stats and can’t see how any argument that English “beat” Naitanui stands up. The fact that Chilly did well regardless was a great sign however. Do we still need to have Martin in the side?

Bont clearly the better player for me, but the fact that Macrae is our second best midfielder is f***ing ridiculous. If he played for St Kilda he’d have 4 B&F’s under his belt already
Depends which way you look at it imo. They both compliment each other.

Macrae is definitely the better inside player, Bont the better outside smooth mover.

Bont is more versatile around the ground, Macrae is so dependable.

Macrae's disposal by foot is sublime. I've heard media outlets criticize his disposal, I have no idea where they get this from.

Macrae is great, but Bont is ahead of him, both in terms of the amount of defensive attention he copes with on a consistent basis, and the amount of defensive work he does himself. Bont is consistently in the top 1 or 2 for pressure acts.

Macrae and the other mids by and large get a free run at it simply because they play alongside Bont.
We're splitting hairs & it is great.

It is probably not fair to either to compare them.

Ours small/medium players (Daniel, Garcia, Hunter, Dureya, Williams, Richards) played so big yesterday. Held their ground in one on ones and provided an excellent physical presence. Also a bit perplexed as to why they paid a free kick against Garcia in the 2nd quarter, his tackle was a crunching one but nowhere near a sling or high.

It might not look like it on the stat sheet but I reckon Lachie Hunter is having a career year. Was good to see the commentators call out his defensive running yesterday.

Has become really solid overhead.
J’agree!

He’s usually one to protect the ball with his body and try take a chest mark. Yesterday he took at least two really strong overhead grabs. His all round game has been excellent this year, and that’s coming from someone who’s doubted his ability in the past.

That was a hell of a performance, an absolute belting against a side that are super hard to beat at home. 20 + extra scoring shots, and I can't remember seeing a better, young marking forward than Aaron Naughton, well since Carey maybe?
Great performance, and i'll be hitching myself to the Dogs wagon come September.

Is there any footage of Loveless anywhere? For so long I’ve wanted to revisit those one-handed contested marks!

Re Shane Loveless, those who are old enough to have seen he and Templeton in 1980 might remember how Shane was an up-and-coming star, and in 1980 between rounds 8 and 13 kicked 3, 4, 8, 7, 2, 1, and 8.

He was 6ft 5, and 98 kg. A bull.

Imagine the terror of opposition backs seeing Templeton raging at CHF, spoonfeeding it to another monster in Loveless. It was glorious.

The Great Shane Loveless, AKA Pinhead, kicked over 2000 goals in his nomadic career in various leagues, finally retiring aged 46. LOL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Shane Loveless, those who are old enough to have seen he and Templeton in 1980 might remember how Shane was an up-and-coming star, and in 1980 between rounds 8 and 13 kicked 3, 4, 8, 7, 2, 1, and 8.

He was 6ft 5, and 98 kg. A bull.

Imagine the terror of opposition backs seeing Templeton raging at CHF, spoonfeeding it to another monster in Loveless. It was glorious.

Such a pity the rest of the team couldn’t get it to them

I genuinely think we are witnessing an era that will be talked about for a life time. And it's only just the start.

We have the games number 1 player in his prime, the best key forward contested marking beast and a midfied that refuses to get beaten. We are set for a sustained period of dominance.

Bont to go down as the greatest Bulldog in history. Macrae tracking to be a top 10 Bulldog of all time. Naughton could be anything with some improved accuracy.

Enjoy the ride people, it's going to be good!
It'll be interesting how we navigate our transition from everybodies second favourite team (pity) to hated.

With it comes an expectation of performance anxiety, even from us, the fans!

We have to start appreciating that our depth is genuine. "oh i don't know if we'll beat XX this week" = "I would be surprised if we don't beat XX this week"

We have to be confident in backing ourselves, enduring the inevitable simple minded "aha! You lost! Ur not that good! How do you feel?" = "yes, but one game does not a season make. We gained lessons from that loss, credit to them."

We have to be mentally advanced and set modern standards of behaviour and etiquette. Positivity and perspective. Back our players from the blood in their veins to the dye in their socks. Embrace their individual personalities and emphasise when the ball (metaphorically) does not bounce in their favour.

If fans are along to party, hurl abuse and disrespect, we confront them and teach them. Or banish them. That is not a part of us.

Because they want this, the players. Oh, they want this. We want this. Oh how we want this!! Be proud and be assertive, but be respectful and inclusive. Set the tone by modernising our mentality and teach those who do not understand.

Positivity always wins in the end. Remember when we weren't a "destination club"?

At least for the next 5 years, we are the destination.

Last edited:
Bont clearly the better player for me, but the fact that Macrae is our second best midfielder is f***ing ridiculous. If he played for St Kilda he’d have 4 B&F’s under his belt already
Luckily we have both...
The play of the match for me was Bont's handpass out of a pack to Macrae who was motoring past to kick the sealer.
That was the moment I took off from the couch shouting YES!!!! and scared the shit out of my wife.

Macrae is great, but Bont is ahead of him, both in terms of the amount of defensive attention he copes with on a consistent basis, and the amount of defensive work he does himself. Bont is consistently in the top 1 or 2 for pressure acts.

Macrae and the other mids by and large get a free run at it simply because they play alongside Bont.

Bevo commented on Bont being one of the best ( probably best) defensive midfielders in the comp. As pure midfielders they are hard to separate but Bont just has so many other arrows in his quiver ( Jack will never kick 30+ in a season or go for contested marks like Marcus). Maybe he can? But he doesn’t or won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The melting about the umpiring over on the Eagles board is something to behold, we had a slight advantage but nothing out of the ordinary given the lack of crowd influence. I suppose they're just so used to ridiculously favourable umpiring at home consistently that it's strange viewing for them for it not to happen.

Also, the complaining about the umpiring when they literally pinched a win they shouldn't have due to the 11m pass from Ryan to Kennedy so they could beat Richmond because paid by the umpires because they didn't want to get lynched by the home crowd is really something. If a magic wand could create fair unbiased accurate umpiring for all Eagles games is something that Eagles fans want, I'd be more than happy to agree with them on that!
There is nothing more boring or irrelevant than crapping on about umpiring (unless of course it was us that got a bad deal )

Given we were first to the footy all day and they didn't touch it in the 4th, I actually thought the Weagles got the better end of the empiring all day.

The only obvious one that didn't go their way was calebs front on spoil of shuey.

The kick from ryan to Kennedy for their first goal shouldn't have been paid, and a number of other poor frees to them or not paid to us.
It’s an interesting one as Caleb got to the ball first

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back