Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty has been consistently great for a number of years, but not top 10. He has about 130 Brownlow votes already I believed.

I think you're downplaying Dusty's season as "just one season".

It was a perfect season - nobody else has ever done it. This gives his one season noteworthy credibility in these discussions.

To say he has been consistently great for a number of years is a bit much. He has been consistently very good for a number of years, and has had a great year this year. That is more accurate. If he has more great years he may catch Ablett jr. Anything is possible.

North's newest recruit?
I hear they are into the kitten up to its eyeballs, have offered it 1.3mil a year over 9 years after missing Dusty and Kelly. Kitten likely to remain with current family.

I'm struggling to work out which part of this post in any way relates to the discussion topic. You may as well have just posted another inane picture.

I think we should just assume that no one has a chance of being the GOAT until they become the GOAT. There has been plenty of players that have fallen from grace a year after having the world in front of them.
Exactly, history makes these judgements not suitable to make the call on any present day players especially one with 5 -7 years left.
Dusty has certainly had the most awarded season of all time...MASOAT

Mathews won 4 flags and 8 best and fairest I don't think many midfielders would beat that record although Gaz has had just as good of a career if you look at just awards. I was lucky enough to watch Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett , Carey and Alan Jackovic and they were all better then any midfielders I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Alan Jackovic? Better than any midfielders you have ever seen?

*Allen Jackovich *better than no midfielder ever

Every year, every game, every goat.. soon we'll have a herd of 'em to rumble around the park and give
every sports reporter work to do in order to tally the stats, question the team mates and coaches and
even those bumbling sports shows to give the expert opinion on various friends, relatives, and fans thoughts
about that dubious person called an animal that is white, skinny and small footed.

Hardly entertaining seeing as it turns into something that divides rather than unites thoughts.

Haha Alan Jackovic? Better than any midfielders you have ever seen?

*Allen Jackovich *better than no midfielder ever

I bet you have never seen one game Alan Jackovich ever played. He was a freak he kicked over 200 goals in 47 games including kicking his first 100 in 21 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet you have never seen one game Alan Jackovich ever played. He was a freak he kicked over 200 goals in 47 games including kicking his first 100 in 21 games

I have. But regardless, those stats hardly put him in the conversation for greatest player of all time. Bad call.

He is arguably one of the best 2 players at 'this' time in 2017. The GOAT is seriously expanding on just one season.

Like Ablett Dusty is different, he does things others can't, but he also has things he cannot do well, Danger is an overhead and pack mark but does not have the don't argue.

We love him and will always value what he has brought to Richmond and whatever he may bring in the next 7 years.

If he wins 2 more brownlows maybe I will think about him as a GOAT candidate, but not now, not by a long way.

definitely not in the GOAT conversation but how great was he to watch?
who? there are many to watch and many to discard and well can't this be a new thread. the newest and shiny and what the coaches
want to see.

I am serious. all the dudes who know how to start these things.

Who is the dream starters of the new year and who are going to set the world on fire. that is a ripper thread to get on board. :)

I think we should just assume that no one has a chance of being the GOAT until they become the GOAT. There has been plenty of players that have fallen from grace a year after having the world in front of them.
Like that little Italian bloke for Collingwood in the 90s I can't remember the name of. Kicked 5 on debut. Was definitely tracking to be the GOAT after that game. And Rutten for the crows scored 2 goals with his first 2 kicks. If he kept that up geez

Like that little Italian bloke for Collingwood in the 90s I can't remember the name of. Kicked 5 on debut. Was definitely tracking to be the GOAT after that game. And Rutten for the crows scored 2 goals with his first 2 kicks. If he kept that up geez
Daniel Metropolis kicked six on debut; could have been goat :(

It depends where Martins peak is, and how long he can maintain it for.

In 2016 he showed he could be a dominant player but was wasteful in a team with a poor gameplan. In 2017 he was simarly dominant but was much more effective, in particular in the latter stages of the year.

If his form to close out 2017 continues over the next 4-5 years, and he is still very solid in his last couple of years, he belongs in the GOAT conversations.

Right now he is just a player that has had one of the better individual seasons in the history of the game.

He can be, will peak in a couple of years, just imagine! But I reckon he'll fall off quickly- someone will grab his fending arm and do his shoulder eventually, and like Ablett Jnr, that will be that.

There'll always be the likes of Judd and Dangerfield, the guys who burst from packs and like a goal. But Dusty is unique, he's playing a different game, pleasure to watch.

I like to watch Dusty play don't get me wrong here, but the frustrating thing is watching moron opposition players still try and tackle his body whilst being stiff armed. Coaches ffs train your team to grab that arm and reef it out of the socket !

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back