Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

40 point win down in Taswegia against a Roos team that besides getting spanked by Sydney a few weeks ago they have been decent.

Got the win, got some percentage, sadly we lose Rohan for a week but other than that what more could you want.

Really need to sort the ruck issues out, and really need to get Cameron back into form.

The Roos have the making of a good team; they're just a few good players short at this stage in their list.

The score doesn't reflect most of the game, as North had a real crack. But you could see the Cats were just a class above. Tom Stewart was awesome, and Dempsey and Stengle kicked amazing goals when it mattered. Paddy, Duncan, & Cameron didn't play that well. The Henry brothers played well today. Bews was a handy player down back. Take the points and move on.

There was a bit of s******ing earlier in the year when Harley Reid was suspended and the annointed one could not win the Rising Star - whoever Bradbury'd their way to the award would be an imposter of sorts.

It was good to see George Wardlaw and Ollie Dempsey further their respective cases for the award today; Wardlaw would certainly be a fair winner if judges decree it so; a very bright future and exactly the type of young midfielder we could use to bolster our paper-thin midfield division.

Rising Star or not, Ollie Dempsey has shone brightly for the 2024 model Geelong Cats. A quiet game last week was quickly erased from the memory with an audacious and fun outing against the Kangaroos this afternoon.
Quick thinker.
That comes with being super-fit; if you're fatigued and gasping for air you're not at your most creative or constructive; Dempsey has the tank to get from contest to contest and then think his way through most situations to work a contest to his advantage.

Harley Reid may go on to fulfill his undoubted potential, but comparing their actual output this season, Dempsey has Reid covered.

You cant take much out of that given the opposition.

But stewart was fantastic and cameron looked a bit better if still rusty.
Both stengle and mannagh were absolute class and can help us make the most of the ball in our front half.
Humphries very good again.
Ollie henrys attack on the ball was much better and that game shows why he is best 22.
Ruck and midfield are massive problems and im not sure we can win a GF the way that is but we will see.

Id assume next week will be rohan out and tuohy will come back. Clohesy needs either a full game or back to the 2s. Stanley or jeka would have to be in if sdk needs a rest.

Another quiet 21 disposal 85.7% efficiency game from Lawson, some of his field kicking is just so sublime

He was excellent early on when North were up and about.

He's a funny kick; uses it well, don't get me wrong - but I think his real strength is his decision-making; the kicks themselves are fine, but he finds those holes really well. I'm probably not making much sense on this one.

Anyway; really liked his game today, very valuable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we were more dominant then the score line suggested. They had a few short periods where they were on top and took advantage.

O.Henry had what was probably his strongest game for the club. I don't see his playing style being sustainable with his body.

Dempsey showing off his supercharged neurons, saved a goal down back in the same way his scored his first 2 goals which might get lost.

Can't believe they let Stewart do his thing all game. Our midfield was sufficient under restricted circumstances, I hope SDK's injury isn't serious. Don't think Blicavs can that week in week out. Strong chance Stanley gets a game next week. We need a few more offensive patterns, I worry we're a bit one dimensional.

40 point win down in Taswegia against a Roos team that besides getting spanked by Sydney a few weeks ago they have been decent.

Got the win, got some percentage, sadly we lose Rohan for a week but other than that what more could you want.

Really need to sort the ruck issues out, and really need to get Cameron back into form.

I didnt see the game it wasnt possible , but i listened to ABC Radio coverage , and Boomer Harvey was the special comments expert and pre game ( and think he is still heavily involved with their club , attends training , said they are a happy bunch etc etc ) he was quite bullish with the Kangaroos . Said their past 5-6 weeks ( except the Swans game ) was promising and alot better and he put it down to much improved pressure .

So Geel have gone down their and beaten them by 40 points , i will take that every day of the week

And the other special comments person was Dean Brogan and he said pre game Geel ( given how tight the ladder is ) just have to win , and thats what the Cats did

It wasn't pretty, but our class shone through against a bunch of plucky scrubbers. I'd have gladly taken a 40pt win at the start of the game.

I thought our clearance work got better as the game went on after they got on top early and defensively they really had no answer to our structures and particularly Stewy, who did it all - in midfield and down back. I thought Jack Henry was really good today, despite been targeted physically by Comben. SDK's move back was a change from his ruck role and he looked much more confident with his attack on the ball and his positioning. The ruck move has rejuvenated his season, and hopefully that knock is a minor one.

Tyson took the piss throughout and is clearly the best small forward in the game right now. The fact that I am still seeing AA sides without him is a disgrace really. He was truly a class above.

Ollie Dempsey bounced back from his shocker last week to be so influential and opportunistic. And the other Ollie's game was his best for the year. I felt Gryan was very busy throughout and involved in the good things we did - I don't know whether the stats back that up, but to my eye he was.

Outside of Stewy and Tys, it was a true team effort and a good way to bounce back after the nightmare of last week.

Funny game from Paddy D today.

The sun is beginning to set on his epic career; 12 disposals looks like a really poor outing on paper but I thought he was actually fine, played within himself to an extent. A brave and powerful contested mark on the three quarter time siren exemplified just what he can - and will - do when required.

I've alluded to it previously this season, but for some reason I am prepared to mark Paddy a lot more leniently in his Autumn years than I tended to during his pomp.

Rolled his ankle a little in the last; thought he'd tweaked the hammy and nearly had a conniption - we desperately need his leadership, which also reflects very well on Paddy post-Selwood.

He did indeed.
Gotta get that “Hero Football” outta him and get more “Team Football” in2 him.
Long ways to go 4me.
But played a lot better than what he’s shown in the last 2 months.
I feel that we are actually missing a bit of "Hero Football", with the pre-requisite that who ever actually does it is good enough to pull it off

Because he has been better or because Norf?
I think he's the type of player who will appeal to the judges more with his awesome bullocking work. I don't think Ollie has been as consistent as Wardlaw across the season.

He was excellent early on when North were up and about.

He's a funny kick; uses it well, don't get me wrong - but I think his real strength is his decision-making; the kicks themselves are fine, but he finds those holes really well. I'm probably not making much sense on this one.

Anyway; really liked his game today, very valuable.
I thought Humphries contested game was very good. I think it's because he looks to have a lot of time, however, I've felt he's had more uncontested ball so far in his career. Today he scrapped nicely and took a nice mark running back when he could have easily dropped his head.

Agreed. Both players would be worthy winners in any year. But I think Wardlaw will probably get it over our Ollie.

Not if he gets cited for his trip on Mannagh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back