Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt cats_09 has any influence on the match committee, so I'm unsure what this post is trying to achieve.

And I'm pretty sure that the coaches have a better rounded view on all the players and take in all available information from what happens on game day, to training sessions, from how they perform when competing against each other the chemistry on display when working together

As fans we may get to watch them for a couple of hours a week if we're lucky, or we can look at some stats gauge an idea of how a player is traveling - but sometimes what's most telling is the things not on a stats sheet and how players involve themselves when they & the team doesn't have the ball

For all we know in regards to a few players that are seemingly on the outer, maybe it's what's happening at training which is having a greater impact on decisions being made and the things that we as fans don't really get the opportunity to involve ourselves in

And I'm pretty sure that the coaches have a better rounded view on all the players and take in all available information from what happens on game day, to training sessions, from how they perform when competing against each other the chemistry on display when working together

As fans we may get to watch them for a couple of hours a week if we're lucky, or we can look at some stats gauge an idea of how a player is traveling - but sometimes what's most telling is the things not on a stats sheet and how players involve themselves when they & the team doesn't have the ball

For all we know in regards to a few players that are seemingly on the outer, maybe it's what's happening at training which is having a greater impact on decisions being made and the things that we as fans don't really get the opportunity to involve ourselves in
Then why do they keep picking Parfitt?

Well put. And sometimes that frustrates me in particular around contest. You know that attempt to tap the ball or wait to tackle and “strip” the ball instead of “traditional” attack the contest. Look it is probably still a little avoidance of the contest but it is also as you say…he is trying to get an advantage a different way. When it doesn’t work it can look bad (and be frustrating) but when it does it has impact. He is pretty good at soccer given not allowed to kick in basketball!
Yeah I agree with that. He upsets our expectations of what a footy player should do, but somettimes it's magical.

I think in time he'll figure out what's going to work and what isn't - honing his abilities. It's going to be great.

Ronnie Burns was great no doubt, and entertaining during a pretty dour era for the club. Burns could play.
I'd take Stengle, though.
Stengle is way more consistent and reliable.

Ronnie was before his time, and would have been a better player in today’s footy. Back in his day the small forwards spent most of their time getting out of the other forward’s way.

Small forwards are much more valuable in the afl of 2024 than they were in 1997.

Then why do they keep picking Parfitt?

Do they really keep picking him though - since the start of 2023 he's spent more time out of the senior team than in it

He played 9 games last season, 5 of them as starting sub - even when calling for experience in the midfield due to absences, he was clearly on the outer

Twice this season he's been a late in, and both times it's been with Atkins a late out - he was deserving of holding his spot in the team following his round 2 efforts, and played some solid football as the defensive midfielder option & kept Atkins out of rotation for a few weeks

Once his impact started dropping he was omitted & back to the VFL. Wouldn't be surprised if two key factors in his late recall last week was again Atkins absence & the weather, with him having played well in the wet earlier this season. When he didn't perform at the level required he was subbed out & omitted

One thing I would think the coaches would be given a tick to in terms of his games in the VFL is his work rate & his will to keep going and get to the next contest - it doesn't mean things always work out, but no doubt there's aspects of his game like that which would be seen was a positive to all coaches

That was just a farewell game for a squad player bc tuohy was managed. I doubt bews plays next week and he definitely wont play finals so i wouldnt stress.

Disagree. Not sure where you're getting this 'farewell game' stuff from either. For Parf last week or Bews this weekend. They were picked because they were deemed to be best side for the week (which I didn't like with for Parf v Dogs but eh).

As a defender I'll take Bews any day over 2y. With him and Kolo locking down also allows Henry, SDK and others to be even better on the intercept.

I dunno. I suppose I place more value on possessions that go to a teammate, rather than OOF. And as much as we'd like him to get a few more touches, I'm not sure I've heard Mark O'Connor in particular accused of not defending; and I would seriously question the accuracy of such statements.
The oof narrative with bews is seriously overplayed

Disagree. Not sure where you're getting this 'farewell game' stuff from either. For Parf last week or Bews this weekend. They were picked because they were deemed to be best side for the week (which I didn't like with for Parf v Dogs but eh).

As a defender I'll take Bews any day over 2y. With him and Kolo locking down also allows Henry, SDK and others to be even better on the intercept.

I get that's your opinion but Bews isnt getting picked for finals (regardless of tuohy) i think thats fairly obvious.

cats_09 where was our supposed clear core 3 mids last night? And tell me how we couldn’t have possibly fit Hardie into this rotation?

This board will say anything to justify not giving him a go. Save the mental gymnastics and admit he’s earned his chance, and the side can only benefit by giving him the litmus test at the top level.

View attachment 2061122
View attachment 2061123

View attachment 2061124

View attachment 2061125
This board is not calling for Hardie to continually be left out.

We have simply come to the realisation that he is not going to be picked regardless of vfl form, and some on here are trying to figure out why.

He clearly is missing something in the eyes of the mc which is not completely obvious to us outward bystanders. So people on here hypothesise on what that missing something is.

I think this board would be happy to see what Hardie could do at afl level, but are resigned to the fact that it is not going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that's your opinion but Bews isnt getting picked for finals (regardless of tuohy) i think thats fairly obvious.

There is a spot there for a lock down small defender. Whether that is Jed or they revert to MoC will depend on form.

The melts will be epic when they push Tuohy up the ground and drop Mannagh.

BORIS332 iv been rooting for Hardie to get a game this year, and I honestly and still thought he should of got a chance to play , even at the time we lost all those games when our midfield was getting spanked... but unfortunately for you and myself Hardie won't get a game for Geelong this year and won't be on our list next season 😞

Whatever they do, hope it isn't Humphries who makes way to try & squeeze in Bews, Duncan & Tuohy into the backline

There is no way you can go into a final with Duncan, Tuohy and Humphries as your small defenders. Something will have to give and with CS it likely won't be Duncan or Tuohy. Mannagh to me is most at risk because you don't need 5 small forwards and CS will shuffle the rest around.

Last edited:
There is a spot there for a lock down small defender. Whether that is Jed or they revert to MoC will depend on form.

Unless the MC is absolutely moronic the chances they drop Mannagh are about 0 %.
And even if they did (which they wont) Tuohy cant play that role so in your scenario they would be dropping him for Rohan not for any of the players you mentioned.

As for the small defender we don't structurally need to cover that role, we have been covering it fine all year without Jed. Given Zuthrie can take smalls, Bowes or Holmes can both roll back as needed and Duncan will clearly be playing back half (as he lacks the speed for the midfield) the defence spots are already filled.

Neither Bews nor MOC will be in the finals side and Tuohy is 50/50.

Jed got the classical late year fill in game that guys like Dahlhaus and Higgins got in their last year, he's nowehere near the finals side.

There is no way you can go into a final with Duncan, Tuohy and Humphries as your small defenders. Something will have to give and with CS it likely won't be Duncan or Tuohy. Mannagh to me is most at risk because you don't need 5 small forwards and CS will shuffle the rest around.

You absolutely can go into a final with those guys as your small defenders and we will. If we planned to use Bews we would have bought in him post bye to run that structure, we wouldnt have brought Humphries in ahead of him. It's clear what our strategy is even if it might fail.

As for Mannagh he's only at risk if they decide to play both OH and Rohan and it wont affect the small defender issue one iota (ie even if they dropped Mannagh they still wouldnt pick Bews anyway).

I still see MOC getting the nod as the sub for his versatility. In finals you want to be able to cover an injury. I don't see the club going for the "tactical sub" stuff or using the 23rd list spot to invest senior experience into a rookie.

Whatever they do, hope it isn't Humphries who makes way to try & squeeze in Bews, Duncan & Tuohy into the backline
No chance and no need. Can only play two of those three.

Agree with top part. Yes I will be melting here hard if/when Mannagh makes way for 2. Just should not happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats bounce the Roos by 40 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back