Autopsy Cats lose to Lions by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing.. we weren’t that far away ...just the clearance and stoppages killed us today
Most of the night we we were putting extra players to the stoppage leaving Brisbane with spares on the out side from high in the stands you could see 3 steps ahead how and who the Lions were about to use to attack the goal front if they won the clearance. Out coached as well as out played last night.

Just home now after what was a disappointing show from the Cats was there any reason given for why Tom Hawkins went down to the back 6 and had a word or two with them after a lions goal in the second quarter he was to me offering some sort of advice before trotting back to the forwardline for the restart.
Tommy wanted to see the ball I think. There was no quick ball movement happening and Brisbane structured up and limited our entries quite effectively. I actually liked that, I thought it was good leadership. Scott said in the presser it would’ve been of a positive nature the words spoken… good on Tommy for that!

Q1: X
Q2: Duncan - 1
Q3: Stewart - 1
Q4: Atkins, Dangerfield & Tuohy - 1 each
I saw this and thought “surely it can’t be true we had 5 centre clearances for the match”.

Yikes. It’s worse than I thought.

We don't have a big forward who can jump and take marks, or bring the ball to ground. Our long kicks in are not effective.
We usually have a guy named Gary Rohan that does that well.

If Scott can be praised, then he can certainly be criticised.
The team wasn't mentally prepared for that game. They lacked drive and consequently had no cohesion.
56% of the team had 2 or less tackles. 30% had 1 tackle or less (Hawkins ~ 0)
Many say Menegola is too slow for inclusion, well most of the RD19 team were slow & apathetic, leading to many unforced errors, so I hope he is a consideration for RD20.
The Lions were onto Miers' bag of tricks, and I would suggest that many other teams now will be.
Mullin may become a good player...in future seasons.

Most of the night we we were putting extra players to the stoppage leaving Brisbane with spares on the out side from high in the stands you could see 3 steps ahead how and who the Lions were about to use to attack the goal front if they won the clearance. Out coached as well as out played last night.

It was so tactical I don't really read a lot into that game. Fagan showed quite a few cards to Scott if we happen to meet again in the finals. It's no secret the midfield is up against it against the top teams. That's what makes a premiership run really tough from outside the top 4. It's an extra game you need Danger to enter beast mode in and he can't do that for a full month now.

Well there's two teams we can draw a line through in terms of having a chance of winning the flag (not that we were a serious chance anyway on our form this year)

We played three of the worst quarters of footy I can recall from us in recent years, yet still almost stole the game with one quarter of decent footy.
Lions, like us (assuming we make it) will just be making up the numbers in September.

All this "our best is good enough" is just delusional now, yes our best from last year would be good enough, but apart from a few instances we haven't come near to replicating that form in 23.

Just home now after what was a disappointing show from the Cats was there any reason given for why Tom Hawkins went down to the back 6 and had a word or two with them after a lions goal in the second quarter he was to me offering some sort of advice before trotting back to the forwardline for the restart.
It seemed to be he was fed up with the disorganised efforts and told them to get their shit together.

There is no way we can be blaming the loss on Mullin for getting out marked while being disadvantage by his position in the contest.

The bigger issues are midfield clearances, poor forward entries, and how easily Brisbane was able to all rebound out of defence or kick out.

Also why are players calling for cheap handballs after a teammate marks it, only to kick it straight to opposition defenders? Players need to think about if they have a plan before requesting the ball!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To many games this season where we have been very static and lethargic, they've teased us all season by getting on a roll with a few good wins we all think we a finally back to last seasons form but than we put up crap like yesterday. Not sure whats gone on. We have a pretty hard draw from here on gonna struggle to make the eight imo.

Well there's two teams we can draw a line through in terms of having a chance of winning the flag (not that we were a serious chance anyway on our form this year)

We played three of the worst quarters of footy I can recall from us in recent years, yet still almost stole the game with one quarter of decent footy.
Lions, like us (assuming we make it) will just be making up the numbers in September.

All this "our best is good enough" is just delusional now, yes our best from last year would be good enough, but apart from a few instances we haven't come near to replicating that form in 23.
100%

Can’t make top 4 and zero chance of winning four finals in a row, three of which will need to be against top 4 teams.

The midfield issues are terminal.

Mate the Lions pressure on us for 3/4 was first class they deserve some credit hard to say but it's true.

If Scott can be praised, then he can certainly be criticised.
The team wasn't mentally prepared for that game. They lacked drive and consequently had no cohesion.
56% of the team had 2 or less tackles. 30% had 1 tackle or less (Hawkins ~ 0)
Many say Menegola is too slow for inclusion, well most of the RD19 team were slow & apathetic, leading to many unforced errors, so I hope he is a consideration for RD20.
The Lions were onto Miers' bag of tricks, and I would suggest that many other teams now will be.
Mullin may become a good player...in future seasons.

And that's on the players - it wasn't a group of 22/23 first year players that had a handful of games under their belt

The vast majority of our team last night was seasoned professionals, with 14 of them having 100 or more games under their belt. If they weren't switched on & ready from the first bounce then they need to have a look at themselves & their preparation, especially considering the stark contrast between how we've started our last couple of matches at home versus our last couple of matches on the road

No doubt there's some tactical questions from last night, such as why we continued to play a spare behind the ball which allowed Brisbane to have an extra at the contest for most of the night, and something they took advantage of

I suspect Brisbane would have rather lost the game if it meant not losing Ashcroft to a now-confirmed ACL, so yesterday looks like a lose-lose for all.
That looked such an innocuous incident also - as the commentators said, there was no apparent twisting of the knee

Sucks for the kid

100%

Can’t make top 4 and zero chance of winning four finals in a row, three of which will need to be against top 4 teams.

The midfield issues are terminal.

Yep, and unfortunately I can't see a remedy for it.
Throw in Cameron going off the boil (averaging four goals a game in rounds one to eight, one a game since) plus injuries/players out of form, and it's really a bit of a miracle we're still in contention for finals.

Mate the Lions pressure on us for 3/4 was first class they deserve some credit hard to say but it's true.

I do give them credit, but still say we played c**p even when under little or no pressure.

Our form away from Geelong is mediocre, that is the reality.

Great wins down at Geelong followed by average performances away is a pattern now.

Hard to see it changing now.

I suspect Brisbane would have rather lost the game if it meant not losing Ashcroft to a now-confirmed ACL, so yesterday looks like a lose-lose for all.
Oh really? That sucks so much. I'm genuinely shattered for the young lad. Loved the story behind him being a Cats fan growing up because his dad's old mate Nigel Lappin sent him a Selwood jumper. It is extra sad that he did an ACL against his childhood team. He said he was really looking forward to playing us.

Chris Scott saying on AFL360 in front of Fagan's disbelieving face that Ashcroft would look good in the hoops gave me a good chuckle earlier in the year and last night seeing Scotty run over to Ashcroft after the final siren to check in on him made me laugh too. I know he saw the young man grow up but still is he really trying it on or what. Love that in a senior coach. Does anyone know if Will likes golf? Might also explain why Scotty is letting the footy world know that our players can bounce from training to play haha.

We certainly could do with a young midfielder of his talent. Our defenders held up really well last night but our dang mids drove me bananas! If I was Tomahawk, I'd have stopped on my long journey back from our defensive fifty to give our midfield a spray too. Loved the passion from Tom. Must be frustrating after Selwood drove the standards for so many years to see things slipping right in front of his eyes.

Best of luck to Ashcroft for his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back