Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lose next week and we are likely to finish bottom 4. An extraordinary situation when you think how dominant a team we were only 6 months ago. The disappointing aspect is that we probably could understand if we were off our game a few %, but we look like we are off it by 10%! You just wonder whether a bit of hubris and assumption that everything would be fine crept into the club after the flag?

Those are two different ideas, though? If old guys are done they're done - sending them for a preseason isn't going to help. And if the issue is they didn't get a preseason, the youngsters are going to be just as unfit and unable.

Just cause we are cooked doesn't mean we should give up. Our oldies might be done but they've what we have on the list. We should still be aiming for finals while it is theatrically possible to do so.

But playing Hawkins is his current state is a liability. He might be able to return to good form if he can return close to full fitness, he is getting physically battered each week, I can't imagine he is doing much more than recovery during the week. If Neale is fit, we should play him in the mean time.
On the other side of the age pool. Bruhn simply isn't spending enough time on the ground each week. I want Parfitt in, I'd expect that he'd have a larger tank.

I'm worried how they rushed Stewart back. If we were 2-0 and not 0-2 they wouldn't have done so. It was a sugar rush hoping it'd be enough to get us over the line. Cameron played 100% game time, he is definitely playing sore. Yet he was the only one looking like carrying us over the line.

St Kilda's team is nothing special on paper but at the moment they're fit and well drilled which can get you pretty far. We're relying on our best players to carry us, most of whom are carry an injury of some type. We not doing them many favours.

Maybe we've underestimated the loss of Harry Taylor from our off field team - last year he held the role of head of medical and conditioning services, and after he left I don't recall any news or announcement around a replacement

Could really use someone in that role, along with a bit of luck & a few less in game injuries

Scott is no doubt a very astute coach.

But he draws wildly opposing reactions from me during his pressers. Sometimes I sit back and admire his insight and knowledge, and am grateful he coaches our club.

Other times he comes across to me like a smarmy, greasy used car salesman. Too smug sometimes.
Nothing wrong with new car salesman. The same could be said about anybody including Lawyers etc

You could make five changes to this side for next week and it still wouldn’t seem enough. 2-3 passengers would still get a game. If we hadn’t just won the flag I’d be terrified.

I think changes still need to be made. Not that there were too many in the VFL putting their hands up. But I think Parfitt, Neale and Dempsey need to be strongly considered.

Close needs to find form in the VFL. He can’t get near it.

Well, let's be thankful that it all finally come together last year...

Because the cliff was eventually going to come and at least we snagged that elusive flag before it was too late.

I'm really not convinced the next gen of kids, draftees and recruits are going to keep us anywhere near the level that we have come accustomed to for so long.

Now that the older guys are off the pace (possibly because of that flag) the talent that needs to take their place just isn't there for mine.
Fair enough, but it's not exactly reasonable to expect that to reoccur, either.

This football club has been on an unprecedented run for 16 years. Arguably a couple more as well. To think that that's immediately going to be replaced by a few talented kids is just ridiculous mate.

We've got some really solid young talent, but you can't seriously think that's going to replace the greatest run of consistency and success in the AFL era.

If anything, it's insulting to what the club has achieved to think that it would be so easy to just do that again.

If we have to take our medicine for a couple years before bounce back up then so be it. No dramas, bigger things going on in the world.

You can’t win football games with an insipid midfield effort, skills have deserted us, and not many guys giving genuine 4qtr efforts, props to Jezza for keeping us remotely close in these games, my expectations for this season have been reviewed significantly towards the negative.

I don't want to be one these people who "I told you so ".
I said last week we would lose to Gold Coast, but people on here said, we will bounce back, there no way we would loose..
As I saw the concerning moments last week, as were not playing like we did in 2022.. we look slow, that run and carry isn't there... The sad thing the only difference from last year is 1 player. Yes he is a gun but surely how can 1 guy look so different...
And I'm not blaming Chris Scott. I think its the players have to take responsibility on this year

I was calling it out after round 1. We dropped our heads vs pies like we haven’t in years snd was completely different to our mentality in 2022. I obviously got shut down at the time. There’s something not right about us this year… they don’t have that hunger.

I think changes still need to be made. Not that there were too many in the VFL putting their hands up. But I think Parfitt, Neale and Dempsey need to be strongly considered.

Close needs to find form in the VFL. He can’t get near it.
I’d make 5 changes but I bet they make only 2-3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, but it's not exactly reasonable to expect that to reoccur, either.

This football club has been on an unprecedented run for 16 years. Arguably a couple more as well. To think that that's immediately going to be replaced by a few talented kids is just ridiculous mate.

We've got some really solid young talent, but you can't seriously think that's going to replace the greatest run of consistency and success in the AFL era.

If anything, it's insulting to what the club has achieved to think that it would be so easy to just do that again.

If we have to take our medicine for a couple years before bounce back up then so be it. No dramas, bigger things going on in the world.
Yes, but the media all told us that our A+ 2022 trade period would ensure we stayed at the top. In fact they said it was unfair that a top side could do so well out of trades!

Quite a conclusion to draw before Bowes, Bruhn and Clark had even put on a GFC guernsey.

Lose next week and we are likely to finish bottom 4. An extraordinary situation when you think how dominant a team we were only 6 months ago. The disappointing aspect is that we probably could understand if we were off our game a few %, but we look like we are off it by 10%! You just wonder whether a bit of hubris and assumption that everything would be fine crept into the club after the flag?
Probably more to be honest. Circumstances came into it, but at the end of the day we were an 80 point better side than the second best team.

Looks more like 20-30% when you look at it that way.

Last edited:
I don't want to hear anything about how finishing last season later than other teams is responsible for our lack of conditioning and fitness. Sydney's year ended at the same point as us and they look nowhere as unfit.

And how many weeks did they spend celebrating on the beers?

It is a factor. Its not a good look but its still a factor.

Just cause we are cooked doesn't mean we should give up. Our oldies might be done but they've what we have on the list. We should still be aiming for finals while it is theatrically possible to do so.

But playing Hawkins is his current state is a liability. He might be able to return to good form if he can return close to full fitness, he is getting physically battered each week, I can't imagine he is doing much more than recovery during the week. If Neale is fit, we should play him in the mean time.
On the other side of the age pool. Bruhn simply isn't spending enough time on the ground each week. I want Parfitt in, I'd expect that he'd have a larger tank.

I'm worried how they rushed Stewart back. If we were 2-0 and not 0-2 they wouldn't have done so. It was a sugar rush hoping it'd be enough to get us over the line. Cameron played 100% game time, he is definitely playing sore. Yet he was the only one looking like carrying us over the line.

St Kilda's team is nothing special on paper but at the moment they're fit and well drilled which can get you pretty far. We're relying on our best players to carry us, most of whom are carry an injury of some type. We not doing them many favours.
Broadly agree, but I'm not convinced that the overall aerobic fitness level of the side is an age issue. They all look underdone, which presumably means they didn't get enough loading in preseason, which also presumably means that guys like Parfitt and Simpson are also going to struggle to run games out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back