Review Cats send Dogs to the pound by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

People not talking enough about how immense Duncan was in that game. Was everywhere, and delivered it on a string everytime he got it. Cameron BOG but Dunc just behind.
A string everytime? You clearly missed the couple of absolute shocking turnovers from duncan. 10m chip kicks straight to the opposition.

duncan was very good overall though.

Zac Guthrie is a very good footballer. I wrote him off. 🤦
It just goes to show what one can achieve with unyielding effort and dedication. May not have the talent of someone like narkle but gives it his all and a good team player.

Grand exhibition of the modern game with two very distinct teams

As with last year's finals series, the loss of Tom Stewart was difficult bridge to cross against quality opposition. Happily we were able to reverse the results, albeit in H+A format.

The Dogs worked their way into the game in a grim way that was reminiscent of Chris-Scott-Himself's best teams efforts.

Yet, when they surged again in the 3rd I couldn't complain too bitterly; we were right there with them, defensively, but they were just better in tight.
That midfield edge told more and more as the game wore on.

At 3Q time I thought one thing - if we're to pull this one out of the fire it will be through the agency of Joel Selwood.
Yes, we'd have willing lieutenants in Hawkins, Cameron, Duncan.
But Joel would have to show the intent in the 4Q.
Straight away he did just that; a clearance; then a denial of an opposition clearance. .

Great game from Mitch Duncan tonight, who seemed to take pre-game prognostications of the Bulldogs midfield superiority personally, producing a nuanced 4Q effort that showcased the full breadth of his experience.

Brandan Parfitt has dusted off the side-step again in recent weeks; he's tucked it away but he still has the best step in the biz. Patchy game, largely a positive, but if anyone was to go back and watch the game I'd encourage them to check out Parfitts audacious drop-step when he puts it into effect.

A couple of misses and poor decisions by Hawkins at crucial times cost us some scoreboard nourishment.
But ultimately Hawkins proved the perfect foil to Jeremy Cameron's brilliance; always content to facilitate, and usually possessed of all the answers when taking scoring responsibility himself.

As per Ch7's pre-game vision, Jeremy Cameron swaggered into the ground as if he knew full well he was in for a good night - and his Q1 was electric, full of run, creativity and sheer skill.
A right-foot assist to set up a Stengle near-miss, and a right-foot snap for his 2nd goal to testify for his talent. Was the off-the-ground-in-the-goalsquare tap-in with the right boot too? Sublime. Great to see him give one off to Close late in the 1st too.
He had a quiet stretch, but Jeremy Cameron earned his pay packet tonight by ensuring a GFC win.

I thought Rhy Stanley really asserted his seniority over an in in-form Tim English, with Mark Blicavs again providing valuable starch through the ruck and midfield. English was ok for sure, but Stanley knew exactly what was required for a ''pass'' mark tonight.

We've built into a really nice patch of form, the backline is looking surprisingly settled given the personnel (read: De Koning as the Key Tall; Zuthrie exerting a steady influence). Mark O'Connor has been solid too; nothing flash but very honest.

Rohan's forward pressure was great; like many I have serious misgivings as to his Finals viability, but he added a spark tonight, as he does frequently in H+A games.

A win worthy of the club.
Vintage CC 👏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always backed my boy Zuth but I can’t wait to see what he does in the gym for the next 2 years.

Also like Kolo but I know who id prefer
Zach Guthrie is a sneaky chance of becoming a gun in a year or two.

Always backed my boy Zuth but I can’t wait to see what he does in the gym for the next 2 years.

Also like Kolo but I know who id prefer

Bit of a sense of vindication with Zuthrie, always looked like he had everything to make it bar the body. Now he's got the strength he is more than holding his own against good players. Only time he got outpointed 1 on 1 was against Naughton.

Players improving makes a big difference.

SDK
Atkins
Zuthrie
Close
Stengle

Need to make sure those returning are worthy IMO.
Was our old bunch of assistants what was holding us back?

New guys in. Different game plan and maligned players Atkins and Zuthrie are now good players.
Having Taylor in charge of conditioning and fitness essentially gives us another assistant coach too, SDK has mentioned HT help as being well appreciated.

Zach Guthrie is a sneaky chance of becoming a gun in a year or two.
he is playing well. Still think he makes way comes finals though. just cant fit him in the side with henry to come back in defence and atkins/blicavs to spend more time down back when dnager/menegola/holmes come back into the side.

Was our old bunch of assistants what was holding us back?

New guys in. Different game plan and maligned players Atkins and Zuthrie are now good players.
Having Taylor in charge of conditioning and fitness essentially gives us another assistant coach too, SDK has mentioned HT help as being well appreciated.
I’m happy where we are at. But we are 8-4. Last year we were 9-3. Let’s not get carried away.

No Henry, Kolodjashnij & Stewart off during the first quarter - well done to 12 gamer who held it together down back

I know SDK is contracted for next season, but come on let's start talk on an extension

Yep and as i said after the gws game leave duncan in the backhalf forthe rest of the year-hik back there helped steady our ship and zuthrie sdk and reg were really good...great coaching moves on the run tonight i felt.

Also thats why you pay the big bucks for the dart hes a champ.

He's such a different player when he plays with intent. I wonder why the Dogs were going at him at 3Q break.
Cos a stanley tackle slipped slightly high but the dogs player he tackled then accidently bumped his head on the ground afterwards. The dogs players mistakenly thought it was stanley who hit him in the head.

Just home from Marvel. Ground looked fantastic. Good win- am happy with that. The way we regrouped and fought back when they got close, was a sign of genuine maturity. Gutsy, especially with so many backs out.
Joel - amazing. Love close. Thanks to Cameron- important. Lots of good efforts from lots of players. Tuohy/Atkins- well done. They are becoming our ‘never say die‘ guys. Liked Parfitt’s fight in the struggle of the game too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats send Dogs to the pound by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back