Review Cats send Dogs to the pound by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

After a great first quarter, it was obviously disappointing to see the team fall away in the second and third quarters.

While maligned often, Kolo's absence actually showed his value after Stewart went down.

As great as SDK is, we need that second key tall, and Blicavs can't be everywhere at once.

Tom Atkins is absolutely a vital player at this point, his toughness and grit helped us stave off momentum from the doggies multiple times.

Zac Guthrie showed his courage tonight, and some clean hands down back.

Narkle somehow looks lackadaisical, despite the fact he should know that he's playing for his career.

Despite people thinking that Selwood and Hawkins are close to the end, we don't win this without them, Joel's leadership was immense in the last quarter.

Jezza Cameron is an absolute star, this guy could win us the flag.

I’m happy where we are at. But we are 8-4. Last year we were 9-3. Let’s not get carried away.
Given the sharp decline in our midfield this year, injuries and form combined being 8-4 is equally impressive.
Last year we were running the same plan with the same players. Been a sprinkling of youth this year, as well as less reliance on having to play all the older players in order to win.

Great win, we we smashed in the midfield but the forward line was dangerous and the backline was good under intense pressure. Will need to find some midfielders. Stephens looked overwhelmed, 9 disposals and no tackles, ran out of puff early. Parfitt tries hard but he turns it over - tonight 21 disposals at 52% efficiency including 6 turnovers, 7 tackles on the positive side. Narkle did a couple of good things when he came on as sub and then faded into oblivion. Selwood, Atkins, CGuthrie were all good. Cameron kept us in it and Stengle continues to be dangerous and is incredibly composed. Stanley's effort was really good. Great team effort in the last quarter.

It just goes to show what one can achieve with unyielding effort and dedication. May not have the talent of someone like narkle but gives it his all and a good team player.
Oh he's got talent. Wait for the body to build .

Reading his lips Stewart said he passed the concussion test and was still benched

Scott addressed this in the press conference when he was asked about how Stewart's going:
  • Stewart believes he's ok, and thought he passed on the concussion test
  • Team doctors not as convinced, and footage of the incident is what swayed the decision to sub him out
  • Tom thinking he's ok when the doctors aren't convinced is probably a good indication that Tom wasn't quite ok

So the doctors may have played it safe with the decision to sub Stewart out, and when dealing with concussion I'd prefer that compared with returning a player to the field that may not be right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley and Blicavs are definitely in career best form. They have frustrated us over the years for different reasons, but late in their career they are adding something above their freak athleticism.

Which is pretty huge.

I agree.

Stanley has a desperation about his play that I have rarely seen previously.

Blicavs is really distilling the best of what he has to offer.

I'll take it, no questions.

Stanley and Blicavs are definitely in career best form. They have frustrated us over the years for different reasons, but late in their career they are adding something above their freak athleticism.
My fav Blicav's moment...punching the ball through for a behind from a contest 10m out of the doggies goal. Progression.

8-4, lot better than I predicted.
Some real talent to return.
We might be peaking at the right time this year?
Please don't. 🤞

Given the sharp decline in our midfield this year, injuries and form combined being 8-4 is equally impressive.
Last year we were running the same plan with the same players. Been a sprinkling of youth this year, as well as less reliance on having to play all the older players in order to win.
It’s meritorious, no doubt. Scott is a master coach.

Parfitt tries hard but he turns it over - tonight 21 disposals at 52% efficiency including 6 turnovers,
That's maybe a bit harsh. You want to know what Parfitt's problem is? Watch the little shimmies he did in the 3rd quarter. He looks up, has nobody to kick to, so he dances around one tackler. Looks up, still nobody to kick to, another little sidestep. The third time he's still got nothing in front of him so he kicked 45m down the line to a contest that the Doggos won because they were winning all of those contests. Stats'll call that a turnover. I don't.

I get some wrong

Cooper Stephens I won't.

I rate Stephens. I hope we keep him in the team. He’s showing me enough to want to see his ongoing development in the seniors even if that’s at the expense of a senior player. I’d be just rotating Guthrie, Selwood, Dsngerfield and Duncan out of the team to allow him games. We’ve seen with De Koning you can fast track development by giving kids senior games.

I rate Stephens. I hope we keep him in the team. He’s showing me enough to want to see his ongoing development in the seniors even if that’s at the expense of a senior player. I’d be just rotating Guthrie, Selwood, Dsngerfield and Duncan out of the team to allow him games. We’ve seen with De Koning you can fast track development by giving kids senior games.
Are you taking the piss?

Which is pretty huge.

I agree.

Stanley has a desperation about his play that I have rarely seen previously.

Blicavs is really distilling the best of what he has to offer.

I'll take it, no questions.

Blicavs is an absolute weapon. His marking has gone to another level.

We present a different challenge to teams. A weird hybrid team of blue collar battlers in the midfield and some freak finishers up forward and Stewart’s match winning from half back. Canny coaching.

Probably won’t be enough, but I have seen 12-1 shots win horse races many times and I think that is about the price.

Dangerfield’s re-introduction will be interesting.

Never been more confident in a player becoming an A grader

Like I said get him to 50 games.

All I’ll say is if zuth can turn it around (after how many games?) then cooper deserves the benefit of the doubt and the games to get it right. And he will
I am all for that, i am just pointing out he will be one of the first heads on the chopping block once the troops come back. He has had a taste of the seniors and some game time. Zac is only 23 and starting to turn into a good defender.

Some of the melting tonight.. Wowsers.

Dangerfield, Menegola, Holmes, Henry, Ceglar, Higgins all due back soon as well.
After the bye should see a stronger AFL outfit but also translate to a strong VFL side as well. Lots of competition for places.
Haven't seen the game yet (went to a concert - yay), but did see a little of Menegola in the twos and he looked fit and a class above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats send Dogs to the pound by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back