Prediction Changes and pre match discussion vs Brisbane Lions R23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think a lot of us have been overly critical of our team in '21. We have been decimated from the get-go. This week, Shuey will play only his 6th game. Yeo and Kelly missed big chunks, as have many others. Now, we learn Gov has been playing injured for most of the season. Injury wrecked our season before it had a chance to get rolling.

Another miraculous win coming our way now that several "stars" are missing through injury and we will be fielding several youngsters.
A brave win against all odds that will see us just fall short of 8th place at the end of the season.
Then reward the players that have infinite credits in the bank, for a final or round 1 next year.

I think a lot of us have been overly critical of our team in '21. We have been decimated from the get-go. This week, Shuey will play only his 6th game. Yeo and Kelly missed big chunks, as have many others. Now, we learn Gov has been playing injured for most of the season. Injury wrecked our season before it had a chance to get rolling.
Injuries or no injuries, this list shouldn’t be missing finals. And we’ve looked better at times with weaker sides on paper IMO.

Well those injuries will make us a younger side.

Should win by 10 goals
Not injuries, just players not wanting to go through another two weeks of home quarantine having just coming out of it after the pies loss, especially for a dead rubber. Lets be honest, its a dead rubber.

Also I'm a bit pissy they moved Saints/Freo to tassie simply so Freo dont have to quarantine coming home, why couldn't the AFL do the same with us?

I’m starting to think the lack of dropping of stars this year is due to Simmo and the MC probably thinking our WAFL options are spudly. We had the same issues in 2017 and both now and then he has flagged a need to hit the draft.

I’m starting to think the lack of dropping of stars this year is due to Simmo and the MC probably thinking our WAFL options are spudly. We had the same issues in 2017 and both now and then he has flagged a need to hit the draft.

I’ve wondered if perhaps it’s not just pigheadedness/backing the boys in, but at least partially related to the salary cap.

I’m no expert on the issue, but I remember hearing similar rumblings around another club (maybe Adelaide?) who couldn’t afford to drop players, because they had so many players on high base salaries.

The logic being that players with lower base wages would need to be paid match payments and might also hit contract triggers which would put further strain on the cap.

I could see it being an issue for a mature list like ours with a bursting cap. We would likely have a lot of contracts structured so they don’t even pay match payments, the salary is guaranteed. Probably doesn’t leave us a lot of room for players on matchies.

I’ve wondered if perhaps it’s not just pigheadedness/backing the boys in, but at least partially related to the salary cap.

I’m no expert on the issue, but I remember hearing similar rumblings around another club (maybe Adelaide?) who couldn’t afford to drop players, because they had so many players on high base salaries.

The logic being that players with lower base wages would need to be paid match payments and might also hit contract triggers which would put further strain on the cap.

I could see it being an issue for a mature list like ours with a bursting cap. We would likely have a lot of contracts structured so they don’t even pay match payments, the salary is guaranteed. Probably doesn’t leave us a lot of room for players on matchies.

If true that is poor list management by list manager and CEO who signed off on arrangements.

It has been mentioned by someone else WCE didn’t often (ever?) pay their starts excess salaries so all got a relevant piece of the pie and team success came. Recent re-signings have seemingly gone against our modus operandi.

On related note - I see Haselby wrote an article for this mornings paper indicating behind scenes issues are present at WCE. Similarly the east coast boys clubs reportedly asked some questions of behind the scenes.

Assuming we deservedly miss finals I will be watching who goes, stays, demoted and promoted in an effort to try and make sense of the 2020/2021 train wreck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad we are getting these surgery's out the way in August instead of early October.
Yeah, I don't mind it. By all means play to win but don't pick injured players when it's going to ruin their pre-season. Especially when those same players already missed large chunks of the last pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back