Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs St Kilda round 17 @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be one of the most inexperienced/unheralded midfields we've ever fielded surely...
FB: Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Brad Sheppard
HB: Josh Rotham, Will Schofield*, Jackson Nelson
C: Liam Duggan, Dom Sheed, Andrew Gaff
HF: Jack Petrucelle, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan
FF: Brendon Ah Chee, Josh J. Kennedy, Jake Waterman
R: Nic Naitanui, Tim Kelly, Xavier O'Neill
INT: Oscar Allen, Tom Cole, Brayden Ainsworth, Hamish Brayshaw
EMG: Jarrod Cameron, Jarrod Brander, Bailey Williams, Harry Edwards
*If Gov doesn't get up

Last edited:
I think we are pretty lucky with our injuries most of the time, especially with our mids.

Seems this is our time to be unlucky...

Guess number three, following the Redden news.

Out: McGovern, Hutchings, Redden (injured), Hickey, Allen
In: Hurn, Edwards, Naitanui, Williams, Brayshaw

B: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Cole, Edwards, Nelson
C: Gaff, Sheed, Ainsworth
HF: Waterman, Darling, Jetta
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Ah Chee
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Duggan
I: Williams, Rotham, O’Neill, Brayshaw
E: Allen, Cameron, Brander, Reid

Naitanui and Williams to combat Ryder and Marshall. Allen unlucky.

Edwards in for Gov, don’t risk him ahead of finals, especially since we’re fast running out of senior players.

Duggan to midfield, good luck son. Ainsworth to play wing.

If Brayshaw doesn’t get a debut this week he may as well catch the first flight out of Queensland.

No room for Cameron because I think we need guys that can pinch hit in midfield ie Ah Chee, O’Neill and Brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can’t help but feel this is somehow Adam Simpson’s fault.

Take Macrae, Dunkley and English out of WB midfield and that’s equivalent to what we didn’t have put there. Arguably, shuey, yeo and NN is stronger than the WB trio.

I am not sure what people expect. Same performance without players. 5days vs 12 days break.

Coaching group should be thanked we only lost by a point.

English is nothing special right now. He's a beanpole 23 year old, Tom Hickey as an experienced ruck should be able handle him even coming in as a late call up.

We were destroyed around the ground in disposals (particularly handballs) and lost the inside 50s 45-27. With Redden, Sheed, Kelly, Gaff and a recognised ruckman we should be making a better contest in the middle. We don't get the clean, fast clearances as you would with a NicNat to Yeo/Shuey combo but it's not like we played Ainsworth and O'Neill on ball all game. Our two highest tacklers were Oscar Allen and Lewis Jetta (!) with 4 each. They had Dunkley with and McLean with 9.

Our two highest tacklers were Oscar Allen and Lewis Jetta (!) with 4 each. They had Dunkley with and McLean with 9.
Yep, teams know they can bully guys like Sheed and Gaff into being ineffective, and it’s even easier when NN isn’t there.

What i'd give for a proper small forward FFS :straining:

Ryan is forced to play up and down the ground and create goals like an absolute WIZARD. Meanwhile Cripps out hurts us so much more than most realize.

We've got nobody who's front and square at the feet of our talls blitzing through. And if they are, they aren't a natural at it (Ah Almost)

Really annoys me the way Cameron has regressed this year. Even his debut year output would've been handy, and we've barely gotten half of that.

I MISS WILLIE YOU STUPID ASADA CAMPAIGNERS, JUST PISS OFF ALREADY.

OUT : Hutchings, Redden, Allen, Ainsworth, Hickey

IN : Hurn, Brayshaw, Naiitanui, Williams, Petch

Similar to the reasons Fivey mentioned.

The fact we're probably going to continue playing Ainsworth speaks volumes about where our depth is at right now. Was probably best game for the club in that negating role. Wasn't detrimental to the team, which is a welcome change. However i don't think there's anyone not worth going H2H with for St Kilda.

I mean who could Ainsworth actually tag? Steele is a bit like Yeo. Can't really negate his impact around stoppages. Brad Hill would be a good choice, i just don't think Ainsworth's tank is remotely capable of stopping such a crafty and fleet footed Bradley. He'd sell Candy 8 times on Brayden before he'd react.

Duggan's move into mids looks a definite this week. Interesting to see how that goes. Don't recall seeing him at CBD's vs Dogs, only off the wing.

Allen is so badly out of form right now Marshall OR Ryder would pants him. Williams has arguably produced more in his last 2 games than Oscar has lately.

Petch we desperately need to be fit. Suddenly he's absolved of the sins from his poor start to the year.

Brayshaw speaks for himself. Whether he's slow as a mack truck or not, we literally have NOBODY left. Like serious. Other than MON, what other mids?

Hmmm could Brander be squeezed in somewhere? Back to the ol' defensive mid role we all love so much.

Come on down Foley!

However I think it’s likely that O’Neill and Ainsworth will spend more time in midfield and we will bring in a forward like Cameron.

Alternatively foley does come in and Diggler to become a full time midfielder.

Jesus, Redden out now?

Id be very tempted to leave Hicky in and give NN a good long rest, even with the big man in, I just think it is a bridge to far to win this game after 4 consecutive breaks of 5 days or less, playing in soggy conditions against the Saints with 3 of our top line mids (and the 3 toughest) out. Rest him up, we should be able to account for the Kangas easily (if not then we were never anywhere near it) and finish 5/6, get our break at home, play our elim at home and then get the bulk of our 1st choice B22 back for a 3 game tilt at the flag. In fact F it, go the full tank this game and give other blokes a rest who might need it- Shep and Gaff for example.

Duggan's move into mids looks a definite this week. Interesting to see how that goes. Don't recall seeing him at CBD's vs Dogs, only off the wing.

I noticed something on the weekend about Duggan, and it was one of the issues I noticed, I think, in the 2018 preseason when he was trialled in the guts. In tight and flat footed, he cant break tackles or get his arms free- something that is a must have for an on-baller.
He attended a few ball ups in general play against the Dogs, read the tap well and got mits on the ball only to be wrapped up each time with no chance of disposal. I reckon I saw it 3 times. Now Dugs has had a great year and he is a strong boy and busts through when he is hitting the ball at speed, but when he is caught under a ruck contest and has no momentum, it seems to me that he cant grab the pill and get the arms free to dish off a quick handball or be able to push of a tackler to break free or dish off. We might get to see him in the middle for a prolonged period on Thursday so will be interesting to see if it is something he can adjust to.

Im actually looking forward to this game now, I have low expectations but it may be an interesting glimps into the future. We possibly have Dugs in the middle, Edwards, Williams, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Brander and O'neil all playing together. As I say- low expectations.

Out: Hutchings, Redden, Hickey, McGovern
In: Hurn, Brayshaw, Naitanui, Edwards

Weigh up Allan vs Williams due to the Saints stronger ruck division.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see O’Neill or Ainsworth go out of the side but I don’t think there is anyone else to come in? - give Cameron or Brander another run?

Shuffling deck chairs with those lads a bit.

I noticed something on the weekend about Duggan, and it was one of the issues I noticed, I think, in the 2018 preseason when he was trialled in the guts. In tight and flat footed, he cant break tackles or get his arms free- something that is a must have for an on-baller.
He attended a few ball ups in general play against the Dogs, read the tap well and got mits on the ball only to be wrapped up each time with no chance of disposal. I reckon I saw it 3 times. Now Dugs has had a great year and he is a strong boy and busts through when he is hitting the ball at speed, but when he is caught under a ruck contest and has no momentum, it seems to me that he cant grab the pill and get the arms free to dish off a quick handball or be able to push of a tackler to break free or dish off. We might get to see him in the middle for a prolonged period on Thursday so will be interesting to see if it is something he can adjust to.

Im actually looking forward to this game now, I have low expectations but it may be an interesting glimps into the future. We possibly have Dugs in the middle, Edwards, Williams, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Brander and O'neil all playing together. As I say- low expectations.

Yeah, personally i don't have any confidence in the whole Duggan midfield move idea at all. Now even the club seems to be spouting like it'll happen.

Just because he's getting his hands on the ball more and being solid in defense, in no way shape or form means he can play midfield.

Can Sheppard play midfield then? If not/why not. There's no difference between the idea of Duggan and the idea of Sheppard.

Quick thinking, vision in traffic, quick hands, quick to get ball to boot, clean, ability to absorb tackles. THIS is what you need to be around the stoppages.

If he's playing off the wing, then fair enough, that's a different midfield craft completely. Hell, Hurn could play wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs St Kilda round 17 @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back