Changes for the Grand Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Banfield was pretty good today. Needs to think a bit quicker now that he hasn't got so much pace. We need Graham if Hunter is going to go forward a bit. Wirra will come back in, so we can't drop a tall (Brett Jones safe). It's between Armstrong and RoJo really, and I know who i'd prefer.

Hint: It ain't RoJo. Can you imagine if he missed that shot after the siren in the GF?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I'm looking at the stats sheet and I've already watched a replay.

RoJo is still a dud.

We can't continue to carry so many players with sub-standard footskills.

That missed set-shot - seriously - you can't keep those guys around.

RoJo doesn't play deep in defence. He's not quick enough to play in the midfield. He plays as a defensive HFF. But if he simply can't convert from any set shot, then he shouldn't be there.

Not sure which replay you were watching but it certainly wasn't todays game. Apart from the occassional shot at goal his clangers are minimal.

If a player has to go this week for Wirra it will be Graham or Banners theres simply no matchup for either player. Armstrong gives us defensive pressure in attack and there's no other player apart from chick that gives us that. I would love to say Fletcher has to go but that wont happen.

IMHO Fletcher has had another poor final series, he played as a permanent forward today and was outclassed by Johncock, Wirra (if fit) to replace Fletcher although it will be a tough decision either way.

mikben said:
Not sure which replay you were watching but it certainly wasn't todays game. Apart from the occassional shot at goal his clangers are minimal.

If a player has to go this week for Wirra it will be Graham or Banners theres simply no matchup for either player. Armstrong gives us defensive pressure in attack and there's no other player apart from chick that gives us that. I would love to say Fletcher has to go but that wont happen.

RJones had 3 opportunities in the first half to shoot for goal and didn't end up with anything. That last quarter stuff up from 12 metres out from goal was exactly what you expect from RJones. That sort of miss is morale shattering to the team, considering the brilliant work that Judd did to get him that shot on goal.

In finals when goals are like diamonds you can't afford to carry a forward that can't execute a fundamental skill such as kicking.

mikben said:
His clangers were minimal because he no longer has enough confidence to kick the ball.

Yeah great - let's take him into a GF.

mikben said:
If a player has to go this week for Wirra it will be Graham or Banners theres simply no matchup for either player.
And who is RoJo's match-up?

Or do we play him in the forward-line despite the fact that we all know he's the worst kick for goal in our team?

Graham can take Goodes, Jolly or Richards when they push forward. He basically releases Hunter to play as a forward.

Sydney have plenty of small forwards who Banfield can rotate through. Who are we going to play on Malceski, Buchanan, Schneider and Davis?

ease up - he's probably half-pissed still from today... thats if he is legal

i reckon wirra = shoo in

and its a toss up between rojo, army, banners and fletcher out - based on form it should be feltcher out - but it wont happen i dont think, looks like either banners or army will get the chop

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I'm looking at the stats sheet and I've already watched a replay.

RoJo is still a dud.

We can't continue to carry so many players with sub-standard footskills.

That missed set-shot - seriously - you can't keep those guys around.

RoJo doesn't play deep in defence. He's not quick enough to play in the midfield. He plays as a defensive HFF. But if he simply can't convert from any set shot, then he shouldn't be there.

Don't be surprised if Jones plays a defensive roll on Kennelly......By the way when analysing players look at the small things that they do because they are the things that win games of footy....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sense no change.

Wirra is too big a risk for such a big game.

We have a balanced squad so I see no reason for change unless an injury occurs.

But we must drop an extra player back to help out against Hall/O'Loughlin combo!

Wirra may come in....who gets dropped will be very unlucky.....very...

the talls pick themselves....R jones might go....who knows...if wirrpamda is fit he must be picked.......they did say he was close for this game......

The only player that may get dropped is Armstrong or R Jones....Satker may come in for armstrong if they want another tall but that leaves us short in crumbers....armstrong didnt do a whole lot v crows....was good in the other games though

if they go small wirra may come in for Armstrong.....I like armstrong why...this may sound silly but hes played fair bit of footy on the MCG....and looked good in the tigers game I know it was only tigers but its useful thing all the same....like stenglein looked at ease at AAMI...horses for courses thing

Wirra must come in if fit. I reckon Fletch is the one in the firing line but past actions from the match committee seem to point at Armi or Jaymie G. Don't think Stakes will get back in and Sampi shouldn't. Kicked 3 for SF today but isn't in good enough nick to warrant dropping another of our brave warriors who have got us intio the GF.

I'm praying for a perfect day for footy because I think we are so cherry ripe that we will be able to break the shackles of these Eagles / Swans arm wrestles that go down to the wire and win quite comfortably. yesterday was the danger game and we got through it unscathed.

We are ready!!

Gunnar Longshanks said:
This is crazy talk.

Glass on Hall.

Bones on O'Loughlin.

Chick on O'Keefe.

Those are so clearly our best match-ups for Sydney's three best forwards.
Your right Gunner,
silly ideas.
You'd certainly have these matchups as your starting options, and go from there...
Should definately play Graham too, been good all year.
God forbid, could even be used as loose man in defence if needed, although Wirra is probably better suited to this job.

also, I think Rowan Jones should be dropped.
ya can't risk players that can't kick over a jam tin in Grand Finals, and given he is mainly used in a forward role...

Shouldn't drop armstrong unless your gunna replace him with another similar type of player, i.e crumbing/small fwd.

Surprized no one has mentioned LeCras, his last game on the MCG was pretty good as the leading small forward! :)
However, his last game against the Swans wasn't quite as good! :)
Probably too big an ask on the kid...

Seeings Woosha seems to love Rowan Jones, the only other option is sadly Banfield. This would be a more "like for like" swap with Wirra.

I swear to god, half of you dont watch the Eagles or even know anything about football.

To suggest dropping Rowan Jones is hilarious!!! Oh he missed a set shot a goal from 10 metres out and everyone on the net says he is crap, let's drop him.

WATCH A FOOTBALL GAME FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Rojo is constantly putting his body on the line, tackling, chasing, 1%ers... this stuff is CRUCIAL in finals footy.

Yet some of you are suggesting bringing back Sampi HAHAHAHAH... oh man, I wonder if any of you lot actually watch football.

Anyways to the team. No changes for mine. Only one change needs to be made and that is if Wirrpunda is fit. I hope he comes up because he reads the play so well and zones off his opponent and can get in the way of Hall and O'Loughlin and help our backline. His run out of defence and the way he sets up play for us is massive. Will be a huge "in" if he comes up.

As for who to drop? I keep coming back to Banfield, despite him playing well against Adelaide. Im a sentimental guy though so would rather see him play and drop Armstrong.

Svenny said:
The only player that may get dropped is Armstrong or R Jones....Satker may come in for armstrong if they want another tall but that leaves us short in crumbers....armstrong didnt do a whole lot v crows....was good in the other games though

Armstrong, R Jones, B Jones, Seaby, Graham, Banfield all fall into the category of may be dropped. Personally I would include Fletcher but I am not the match committee, he is safe.

RoJo was great in the QF, Bones was great in the PF and shut down O'Loughlin in Rd 15, they should stay in. Keeping Graham in allows Hunter to move forward.

For mine it'll be one of these three:

IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Banfield
IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Armstrong
IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Seaby

Bringing in Staker, Nicoski or Sampi at this point would be a mistake.

Scotland said:
Armstrong, R Jones, B Jones, Seaby, Graham, Banfield all fall into the category of may be dropped. Personally I would include Fletcher but I am not the match committee, he is safe.

RoJo was great in the QF, Bones was great in the PF and shut down O'Loughlin in Rd 15, they should stay in. Keeping Graham in allows Hunter to move forward.

For mine it'll be one of these three:

IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Banfield
IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Armstrong
IN: Wirrpanda, OUT: Seaby

Bringing in Staker, Nicoski or Sampi at this point would be a mistake.

No, no, NO. We dropped him for the prelim and Jolly/Doyle killed Lynch/Graham whenever Coxy went off. Seaby has to play, even if he only on for 30 minutes of the game it's worth it.

I think you're right and there's only one possible in, and that's Wirra.

My heart says Banfield has to play. My head says he should go if Wirra comes back in.

If it's not banners, it'll be either Armstrong or Graham depending on whether we go tall or not.

Whoever misses is going to be bloody unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for the Grand Final vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back