Preview Changes & Preview for Semi Final 2 vs Hawthorn @AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no way we’ll win. Just no way.
So, I think we throw caution to the wind with our changes.
If Butters is fit, this is what I’d do:

Outs: McEntee, Evans, Ratugolea

Ins: Sinn, Lorenz, Marshall

Narkle sub.
Sinn HB
DBJ and Lorenz HF

Dixon stays because there isn’t another option. Ratugolea can’t survive his last month’s output. Dixon is a problem and Frost will run off him, but Sweet will need help in the ruck and maybe Charlie can clunk 1-2 for a change. You can’t pick Lord or Scully on their form, and Visentini wasn’t convincing IMO against Freo and struggled against Meek earlier in the year.

Back Lorenz and Sinn in. They can’t possibly be worse than McEntee and Evans. They have more size, pace and skill. Lorenz will also carry an element of surprise. He’s a lovely kick on goal and can work up and down the ground as he’s played wing all year.

DBJ should never have left the forward line.

Narkle sub.
Sinn HB
DBJ and Lorenz HF

Dixon stays because there isn’t another option. Ratugolea can’t survive his last month’s output. Dixon is a problem and Frost will run off him, but Sweet will need help in the ruck and maybe Charlie can clunk 1-2 for a change. You can’t pick Lord or Scully on their form, and Visentini wasn’t convincing IMO against Freo and struggled against Meek earlier in the year.

Back Lorenz and Sinn in. They can’t possibly be worse than McEntee and Evans. They have more size, pace and skill. Lorenz will also carry an element of surprise. He’s a lovely kick on goal and can work up and down the ground as he’s played wing all year.

Lorenz to half forward i like

Out Dixon, McEntee
In Marshall (or Lord), Sinn

Dixon just can't play next week. Not only is he physically cooked, he is also mentally defeated. Went into almost every contest last week without any confidence that he could win.

He is finito.

I see no point exposing a young player like Lorenz to a ten goal plus thrashing. There is nothing to gain

I can't see how we win this. Hawthorn play the exact style we struggle against. They are quick, direct, aggressive, take the game on and in insatiable form.

I have something else on I agreed to a while back on Friday night so not only will I not be going, I won't even be able to watch it!

I can't see how we win this. Hawthorn play the exact style we struggle against. They are quick, direct, aggressive, take the game on and in insatiable form.

I have something else on I agreed to a while back on Friday night so not only will I not be going, I won't even be able to watch it!
I'll probably be going, but I'm not sure I'll watch it either :(

We will also be beaten mentally before the game, which is a continuing theme every time we play a final.

A point was made over on our freo board about how you guys came over to Perth two weeks ago for essentially a dead rubber game from your point of view (or certainly one you did not desperately need to win) and proceeded to play with a pressure rating over 200 for the entire game, players ferociously flinging themselves into every contest as if their lives and careers were on the line. We didn’t play a higher pressure team all season. I was certain port were going to go deep in finals after that game. But untimaltely the freo game didn’t really matter to port?

Then last Friday you were the complete opposite. Flat footed, off the pace, minimal pressure in a game that was 100 times more important than the one v freo.

We were not good enough by the way so it nothing to do with us.

But how do you guys reconcile those two contrasting efforts?

GWS did the opposite. Played at 90% intensity v the Dogs in R24 but they were so primed yesterday (granted they still didn’t win).

If I had my way, I’d have rested half our squad & you guys most probably in the 8. All moment was lost during the bye anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narkle sub.
Sinn HB
DBJ and Lorenz HF

I'd be keeping Rat over Dixon. At least he's able to get to a contest even if he can't take a mark

I just can’t with Dixon on form. If that’s how you play after a week’s rest then I can’t see him offering anything. I’d also leave Ratugolea out and bring Marshall in if he’s ok.
And I’d put Rozee forward not back. He’s kicked multiple goals before and has been ineffective recently in the middle. I think he’s more comfortable forward and just feel you’re asking someone to get up to speed at training this week and play back because you remember him having a good game in the SANFL grand final six years ago.

A point was made over on our freo board about how you guys came over to Perth two weeks ago for essentially a dead rubber game from your point of view (or certainly one you did not desperately need to win) and proceeded to play with a pressure rating over 200 for the entire game, players ferociously flinging themselves into every contest as if their lives and careers were on the line. We didn’t play a higher pressure team all season. I was certain port were going to go deep in finals after that game. But untimaltely the freo game didn’t really matter to port?

Then last Friday you were the complete opposite. Flat footed, off the pace, minimal pressure in a game that was 100 times more important than the one v freo.

We were not good enough by the way so it nothing to do with us.

But how do you guys reconcile those two contrasting efforts?

GWS did the opposite. Played at 90% intensity v the Dogs in R24 but they were so primed yesterday (granted they still didn’t win).
Quite simple really. Against you, and in the last 6 weeks of H&A, we didn't play High press. We pulled back a touch and used the space and covered the ground much better and it was hard for teams to just go over the top.

Against Geelong, we returned to the gameplan we played in the 1st half of the year where we pressed high and teams, once they broke the first layer of resistance, had not much else to combat so they just got their small forwards behind our defenders to run into open goals.

If we play high press against Hawks, they'll score 200 points against us.

Quite simple really. Against you, and in the last 6 weeks of H&A, we didn't play High press. We pulled back a touch and used the space and covered the ground much better and it was hard for teams to just go over the top.

Against Geelong, we returned to the gameplan we played in the 1st half of the year where we pressed high and teams, once they broke the first layer of resistance, had not much else to combat so they just got their small forwards behind our defenders to run into open goals.

If we play high press against Hawks, they'll score 200 points against us.
We have done so well defensively recently, and then against Geelong they have 57 inside 50’s and have 39 scoring shots that is unheard of EVER!

Esava did compete, Dixon if he doesn’t mark it he is out of the contest.
Exactly. If the ball comes in, goes over the top of, or not to Dixon, then the ball is lost to his opponent. He can't compete against the opposition player and its an easy out of defence for them. If Dixon leads and ball is kicked out on the lead, I'd dare say he won't get there to it before it's intercepted or goes to ground and again, lost.

It's sad... when he's firing he's a beast...

We have done so well defensively recently, and then against Geelong they have 57 inside 50’s and have 39 scoring shots that is unheard of EVER!

The issues were the midfield. Defence held up alright but the other issue was getting it out of defence. DJB no good... missing players who actually run on for receiving plays and great field kicks especially to corridor ruins the play out unfortunately. Burton is good but he lacks confidence to kick smart to targets and procrastinated to slow... that's why both Houston & Farrell were ideal. They just go for it and hit the targets... yeah they've made bad calls/kicks prior but mostly good. Also helps if team mates actually lead and present. One thing I hated about the Gold Coast game. Nobody did ANYTHING... up forward and back.

This is because of the high press where our midfielders are either close or inside fwd 50 when we don't have the ball in an attempt to lock it in. All Geelong had to do was beat that first layer by running it out with hand. It then creates the "space" that Chris Scott was talking about pre-game for them to attack.

Port across the season have been one of the worst inside their own def 50 when the ball hits the deck. So if they don't clean it up in air, at ground level we are slow to react. Add to the fact that we had DBJ there who has not been in that role for a while, it makes sense how the Geelong small forwards to us to the cleaners.

Ribs are bruised. He'll be in pain but he'll play.
I think he’s tried that once and didn’t make it. The injury happened in the Freo game and 2 weeks rest before the Geelong game didn’t seem to be enough. If you rewatch the last 10-15 mins of the second quarter he can’t run, at one stage he’s squatting in the middle of the ground in pain - amazed the commentators didn’t pick up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back