Preview Changes & Preview Round 20 vs Carlton @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d play Todd Marshall CHF. Even though he’s not in good form, his field kicking is still good.

Lord’s only move is being behind his matchup and trying to spoil the ball.

Carlton star Tom De Koning requires surgery on a fractured foot and will miss the rest of the AFL home-and-away season in a huge blow to the Blues' bid for a top-two spot.

De Koning has also undergone treatment in hospital for a collapsed lung after he was one of several Blues injured in Sunday's bruising 19-point win over North Melbourne.

Not sure why everyone thinks ratugolea was shit as a forward. He kicked 15 goals as a forward as a 21 year old while pinch hitting in the ruck. They played mainly through Hawkins like we do through Dixon. Everyone says it takes a while for key forwards to get going yet Geelong changed him up early. Partly because they had Hawkins Cameron and Rohan.
Our forward line is nowhere near that strong. I say give him a go. I can gaurentee he’d give more of an effort than lord or Marshall.

De Kooning was half the reason they beat us last time. Soldo ran out of legs and TDK dominated the last quarter and gave their mids a ride .
Pitonett isn’t bad but Sweet should break even with him , he’s quite strong Sweet , he reminds me of Darcy Cameron at Collingwood type of players who’s turned into a decent player . . Big Cripps is a worry and Wetering and of course Curnow and McKay , Motlop is the type that could worry us too .
With our game plan we have to win contested possession and the be efficient with the ball .
Can we ? Possibly but not probably.
I presume Dixons good game on the weekend was the odd good game against a weaker opponent he can squeeze out . He looks like he’s playing with ankle weights on .
Having George back was good , you can almost see him growing at the moment he seems to be really developing.
We’ll probably bring Marshall back if he’s fit for Lord .
I’d put Evans back to sub , I think Narkle offers a little bit more , Evans more the type that flashes in and out , Narkle has a bit more in his game and gets around the field a bit better.
Wines needs to man up on Cripps and Drew on Walsh , our gun mids can’t seem to do those jobs but it is what it is so we just let them be attacking and switch forward .
Burgoyne is coming along , not the finished product yet but starting to be a good ball winner .
I’d be a bit waty of three tall defenders again this week . Allir can follow McKay around and ZerkThatcher with help on Curnow , we need small defenders behind the ball too and not all pushed up too far that they can’t defend turnovers

Only a 5 day break for the SANFL guys so I doubt there are going to be any changes from the Maggies. May be a player or two who returns from injury this week, but I'd expect a pretty similar team to yesterday.

One of the few games I'm supportive of playing the three talls in defence. Going to take everything to stop McKay and Curnow.

Absolutely wild to think if they win on Friday that they'll remain in the top 4 race. A loss though likely extinguishes those hopes and could even put them out of the 8 completely.

So given the pressure I fully expect Port to come out flat and be a step or three below Carlton.
Just imagine how massive and exciting this game would be with a different coach. Win and you could even start believing this could be our year.

Under Hinks if I dont go to bed early on Sat Ill probably watch Beverly Hills Cop 2 again, have been rewatching the original trilogy since watching the new Axel F movie.

Just imagine how massive and exciting this game would be with a different coach. Win and you could even start believing this could be our year.

Under Hinks if I dont go to bed early on Sat Ill probably watch Beverly Hills Cop 2 again, have been rewatching the original trilogy since watching the new Axel F movie.

My excitement for this game stems from the notion that it is one giant step closer to seeing the back of Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was quite surprised last game against Carlton that they started Ratugolea on Curnow and Zerk-Thatcher on McKay. Surely that should be swapped around with Ratugolea on the bigger McKay and Zerk-Thetcher on the more mobile and ultimately more dangerous Curnow.

Longer term I think Ratugolea's best position is out of the team - but I'm not sure that is going to happen this week.

I find calls to move him forward pretty surprising. Why would someone with zero read of teh game be good as a forward. Maybe once Dixon has left - but still not a very good idea. Having Ratugolea and Dixon together banging into everyone and generally playing not too smart football would be very dangerous - for all our other forwards.

NOt sure why we don't just run with a conventional two KPFs and two KPDs setup. Next year it should be two of Georgiadis, Marshall, Lord up front and Allir and Zerk-Thatcher down back. You could then add Finlayson (if his form improves) as a utility/wingman/second ruck.

A win over the Baggers legit sets up a real chance of a non Victorian top 4. Make it happen you glorious free settling assholes
Been saying all year, that if we were actually any good, this is the perfect year for a Non-Vic club to win a flag for this exact reason. We wont be there though, we are way worse than our ladder position suggests. We will be exposed in the next 5 weeks. If you draw Carlton on their home ground on that last Saturday in Sept, good luck to you.

Been saying all year, that if we were actually any good, this is the perfect year for a Non-Vic club to win a flag for this exact reason. We wont be there though, we are way worse than our ladder position suggests. We will be exposed in the next 5 weeks. If you draw Carlton on their home ground on that last Saturday in Sept, good luck to you.
To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

Geez, who is Jaxon Binns, 47 and 3 in the reserves is amazing.

*Edit: doing some googling, looks like Carlton have got a little gun there just hiding away. Amazing looking at his stats that he hasn't played more. We're desperate for outside speed and talent like that.

Last edited:
Quite annoying that the two top sides we have in the next couple weeks have both lost incredibly important players, the two players that probably would've caused us the most grief in Papley and TDK, plus Carlton are looking banged up. Would be a huge disappointment if we fell over the line in a game like these next couple and Hinkley gets himself some pointless breathing room. We could win these, find a way to sneak into the 8, maybe even the 4, and then we'll still not win a final.

Last edited:

*Edit: doing some googling, looks like Carlton have got a little gun there just hiding away. Amazing looking at his stats that he hasn't played more. We're desperate for outside speed and talent like that.

Not Hidden.

He does run all day and will accumulate stats.
Doesn't have real hurt factor as yet.

That said it's likely him sitting out the back when we turn the ball over.

He did that against a listless magpies outfit, may has well been witches hats.

The kid knows how to find it and is a hard worker. However, he is small and his kicking at the highest level may be found out a bit. But, he deserves his chance, now Blake is out.

Quite annoying that the two top sides we have in the next couple weeks have both lost incredibly important players, the two players that probably would've caused us the most grief in Papley and TDK, plus Carlton are looking banged up. Would be a huge disappointment if we fell over the line in a game like these next couple and Hinkley gets himself some pointless breathing room. We could win these, find a way to sneak into the 8, maybe even the 4, and then we'll still not win a final.

I think we are into the endgame now anyway. They won't punt Hinkley early without disastrously bad results and what's the point? You can't change the gameplan overnight and we wouldn't win anything anyway.

Let it play out however it will, if we make finals and exit in straight sets, he is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back