Preview Changes & Preview Round 20 vs Carlton @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are into the endgame now anyway. They won't punt Hinkley early without disastrously bad results and what's the point? You can't change the gameplan overnight and we wouldn't win anything anyway.

Let it play out however it will, if we make finals and exit in straight sets, he is done.
A week back I would've put my house on us losing to Carlton, I'd now only be 95% confident Carlton will win due to their injuries. And I am just terrified of more pointless minor round wins, building back up his support.

Fingers crossed for all our sakes that the writing is on the wall and the board have started having the mature and brave conversations they should be having about how we move on.

Port Adelaide will name its match squad - the game 23 and emergencies - on Thursday evening with key forward Todd Marshall still on the sidelines with a hip injury.

"Todd is nearly ready," said Hinkley of Marshall, who was injured in a collision with team-mate Charlie Dixon in the match against Gold Coast a fortnight ago. "He will definitely play next week, all things being equal. But with the short break, we just ran out of time."

Marshall's absence leaves the match committee to reflect on whether it can again combine Dixon and Ollie Lord in attack after substituting Lord during the 41-point win against Richmond at home on Saturday.

Hinkley has predicted "a couple of players" will resume with Lachie Jones (concussion protocols) and Kane Farrell (hamstring) expected to come off the injury list.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1609653/hinkley

I’ve followed us right through the Hinkley years, & one thing I’ve noticed is our inability to put away a wounded opponent. I remember watching games where the opposition were down to a single rotation, yet somehow they were the ones who were full of running towards the end of the game.

Then there were the matches where the opposition went in severely under manned, but still put us away with ease.

We should take advantage of Carlton coming off a 5 day break without TDK & Acres, but history says we won’t.

Lol lets stop talking about Carlton being the wounded and a game we should win. They are missing a young ruck (who they have a very serviceable backup for, that is on par with our backup ruck we are currently playing) and a winger. Teams come off 5 day breaks all the time, and we are coming off a 6 day break.

They will still shit all over us, enough of the excuses for them.

Lol lets stop talking about Carlton being the wounded and a game we should win. They are missing a young ruck (who they have a very serviceable backup for, that is on par with our backup ruck we are currently playing) and a winger. Teams come off 5 day breaks all the time, and we are coming off a 6 day break.

They will still shit all over us, enough of the excuses for them.
WE'VE GOT THIS!!

I’ve followed us right through the Hinkley years, & one thing I’ve noticed is our inability to put away a wounded opponent. I remember watching games where the opposition were down to a single rotation, yet somehow they were the ones who were full of running towards the end of the game.

Then there were the matches where the opposition went in severely under manned, but still put us away with ease.

We should take advantage of Carlton coming off a 5 day break without TDK & Acres, but history says we won’t.
You have to remember that Carlton is a good team, and they're very tough to beat at Marvel. You wouldn't get too many teams that will beat them there this year. But look we'll bring the learnings from last week and win or lose we'll take some learnings from this game too.

The last time we played Port was coming off a five day break with no R&R.

That is, both Rozee and Rioli were not in our team. Plus how Sweet it is (this time).

There's always a muted/blunted level of expectation conveyed every time Hinkley speaks. It pervades everything he does.

It's always, we need to be a bit better than the opposition to win. The opposition is tough. We'd need to be at our best to beat them.

I get the need to respect and not underestimate the opponent or the competition more broadly, but nothing about the way he speaks suggests an air of superiority or dominance. There's too much preparedness to lose or not succeed.

What happened to, we are the best and expect to win comfortably?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's always a muted/blunted level of expectation conveyed every time Hinkley speaks. It pervades everything he does.

It's always, we need to be a bit better than the opposition to win. The opposition is tough. We'd need to be at our best to beat them.

I get the need to respect and not underestimate the opponent or the competition more broadly, but nothing about the way he speaks suggests an air of superiority or dominance. There's too much preparedness to lose or not succeed.

Do you believe we are the best and expect us to win comfortably?

2 sides not in great form. We do have a habit of getting teams back in form though but if you look at Carlton's last 3 weeks you'd probably think they are ripe for the picking.

the Kangas pushed them to the limit last weekend, yes the kangas have improved, but i just don't think Carlton have as much swagger about them at the moment.

I think the injury crisis talks of Carlton is a bit overblown though, it's actually rare to not have key players out at this time of the year. it's as if we've been kissed on the d*ck by a fairy just because Carlton have got some injuries.

there are other reasons i think we can win this:
  • We generally play Marvel well.
  • Drewy seems like the sort of bloke at a club that literally every player loves, i can see the players really wanting to get up for him for his 100th.
  • I still don't think we are as bad as what we are made out to be. I think this team despite the stale coaching regime is capable of winning against anyone, especially in the minor rounds.
  • The fixture and crystal ball predictions all have us missing the 8 but there is also only 4 points that separates us from 2nd spot on the ladder. So there is some further incentive there, i don't think the players would've thrown in the towel yet.

Carlton tagged Houston, Farrell & Burton last time we played & it was rather effective
Suspect they will do same again?
What master stroke will Hinks pull to counter this? Or will he hold back his tactical genius for finals?
Master stroke, Hinks, tactical genius and finals all on one line. You take the piss

Choco had this weird thing going on where he always wanted to be the underdog. We could have a 20-2 season and he would still say whoever we were playing was the favourite. He had a problem with finals too.

I can't recall Jack Cahill ever talking up the opposition. Or even talking about them really. He was only focused on what Port would do.

Carlton tagged Houston, Farrell & Burton last time we played & it was rather effective
Suspect they will do same again?
What master stroke will Hinks pull to counter this? Or will he hold back his tactical genius for finals?

Who will they fly into the sanfl to tag Burton? :p

You would think they would do it again, although playing at home they might be more focused on their game.

I really would like to see us just hit in hard from the start and take them by surprise. Show no intimidation at all at being away.

Is this Warren Tredrea's brother LOL.

IN: K Farrell 6, L Jones 34
OUT: D Williams 23, O Lord 30 (omitted)

EMERG: Lord, Williams, Visentini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back