Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guesss us not playing in SANFL
over next few weeks is a bit of a disadvantage

They’d probably find a way to ban JHF even though he wouldn’t play, so I’d say not really.

I had a dream where we selected Tom Clurey to play off of half back to replace Farrell

We were down by 20 before the dream ended abruptly

The biggest factor for Port is the half backs being able to do penetrative accurate kicks into the corridor when targets lead. Houston for example and Farrell. Burton still can and Logan seems to be good enough too and smart. DBJ might do alright in defensive efforts but I don't believe he has that kick to do so plus run off. Sinn I'd expect to but not sure. Without our absolute best kickers off the back line it might be troublesome getting the best connection into corridor. However, Kenny will need to be on point and the players because all teams especially Chris scott know that Port love the corridor. Another reason IMO why Dylan Willams probably not the best option. If he was replacing Jones then sure, but not Faz or Houston.

As it stands, the backline is BZT, Aliir, Evans, Burton and Jones. BZT isn't the best kick realistically. Only really Burton that can kick pin point or close to it.

Fingers crossed I suppose.
The remarkable thing about this post is it didn’t once mention our most important defender - Bergman.

The biggest factor for Port is the half backs being able to do penetrative accurate kicks into the corridor when targets lead. Houston for example and Farrell. Burton still can and Logan seems to be good enough too and smart. DBJ might do alright in defensive efforts but I don't believe he has that kick to do so plus run off. Sinn I'd expect to but not sure. Without our absolute best kickers off the back line it might be troublesome getting the best connection into corridor. However, Kenny will need to be on point and the players because all teams especially Chris scott know that Port love the corridor. Another reason IMO why Dylan Willams probably not the best option. If he was replacing Jones then sure, but not Faz or Houston.

As it stands, the backline is BZT, Aliir, Evans, Burton and Jones. BZT isn't the best kick realistically. Only really Burton that can kick pin point or close to it.

Fingers crossed I suppose.
I dunno if we need that with the new gameplan.

Obviously it's awesome if its on tap but we have other avenues to goals.

We have some defenders who defend hard now and don't need as much kicking from the back half with the midfield and wingers taking a bit more of that burden.

Last edited:
I had a dream where we selected Tom Clurey to play off of half back to replace Farrell

We were down by 20 before the dream ended abruptly
I just had a dream where we stuffed up the game and I was in the change rooms yelling at Rozee that he shouldn’t be captain, and yelling at Butters that he should be instead.

If Visentini can goto town on Stanley then you'd assume Sweety will do more damage. Stanley may of just had a very poor game but still. Vis is young and still learning but definite potential. My only worry in the mid is Danger being in beast form and like he's pumped up full of drugs 😂
Charlie was rested 1725148223511.png

Can understand DBJ training with the backs. Doesn't automatically mean they will make the switch - think they are just making sure he is ready to go with the game plan if required...
Yes DBJ should start forward and then switch down back as required

Get Sinn in to replace Faz.
Dixon for Vis.
Nark for Ned.

Miers, Stewart and Cameron - must shut them down to win this. Danger will do what he does but we can win despite him. If the above three play well, it’s 50:50 at best.
Geelong for me are about the worst side in the 8.
If they didn’t have there normal easy draw they wouldn’t have even made it.
This will be our easiest game in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but there are still easier and harder paths within that context.

Our ideal path to the grand final involves us beating Geelong in our QF and GWS beating Sydney in their QF - meaning a home PF against Sydney unless they go out in straight sets.

If we were to win our QF but Sydney got up against GWS, it would set us up for a home PF against either Brisbane or GWS - both of whom smashed us in the finals last year and smashed us this season.

What’s happened during past encounters counts for very little come September. I’m pretty sure our last 8 finals the opposite result of the most recent minor round game has occurred.

It’s a weird stat and I don’t think it means that we will definitely lose to Geelong but I think it proves that previous results count for very little.

I think it is set up for us okay with 2 guaranteed home finals but no path to a GF is easy and I don’t see any path easier than the other. If we finished top for instance, I don’t see how playing gws at home and potentially playing Brisbane in a semi if we lose is harder than our current path ahead.

Winning against Geelong is very important but I don’t buy this talk that the dogs or hawks would be unbeatable in a semi. If anything I would lean to facing Brisbane in a semi final as more daunting.

Prelims are hard and quite often close to 50/50 games no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back