Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be the most logical way.
Still we have to have a plan B if Sinn is having a bad game.
That’s why I like Narkle to be the sub so we could move him forward and put DBJ back.
Hopefully whoever starts the coaches don’t act slow if things are not working out.

Narkle has to start, sub out of Evans or mozzarella

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Potentially what they might do below. If Marshall or even Dixon are cooked they'll rotate Sav and possibly put DBJ back.

I can understand why they gave McEntee a game against Freo in case because he does well on Stewart but guarantee Chris Scott has that sorted now and McEntee would be wasted. He does good as pressure forward no doubt and has speed on him too. But Evans and Narkle both seem to be better footy smarts in part, as forwards and lead plus convert. So I can't see if Jed makes it or should make it.

And they may bring Toddy in. Do I agree with it? Unsure. I know all 3 talls in Aliir, BZT and Sav did good together against Cats earlier on but who knows.

chris scott will keep it secret whether he plays hawkins. Neale the forward is tall and seems ok. So theyd realistically have Neale, Cameron and Henry as the key forwards. I'd assume. Possibly Bergman will roll on Cameron. Jones touch wood comes to play because he should good on Stengle with his pace etc... hopefully.

FB Aliir BZT Esava
HB Jones Bergman L.Evans
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Marshall Rozee
FF Georgiades Dixon Rioli
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Burton

SUB F.Evans

Personally I'd do this...

FB Bergman BZT Jones
HB L.Evans Aliir Burton
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Esava Rozee
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Sinn

SUB F.Evans

If Sinn can't keep up, sub and bring Evans ok and rotate DJB back.

If Bergs on Cameron they will possibly move him to wing if he can't get into it. In that case, I'd hope they just keep Bergs back and don't follow. Maybe throw Drew onto his wing when they switch and bring Mead In the guts or what ever.

Fingers crossed 🤞 will be very interesting how it plays out without Houston and Farrell. Danger is or was looking solid too so yeah. He's a prick player as well conning umpires into frees not there etc

There are three selection dilemmas ahead of this game.

1. Replacing Farrell.
I don’t think we compromise on structure. No moving of Ratugolea back. We back the five defensive constants to all keep going in the same vain, and as Logan Evans put it, lift another 2-3% each. We back Burton to play the same way he did against Freo. Make it crystal clear to him. We need him now more than ever and what he showed against the Dockers is the minimum acceptable standard of effort and teammateship. No seagulling will be acceptable.

We replace Farrell directly with Sinn and bring him into the 22. It’s a definite risk and downgrade, but size, pace, defensive training/preparation are in his favour as cover for Farrell. He needs to back himself, look after the footy when he has it, and use his legs. He isn’t Farrell, just as Burton isn’t Houston. But it’s the best fit. He’s physically mature and at least is not being rushed back from injury. It may be the making of him. Personally. I don’t expect to be disappointed in what he produces. Whether I’m in awe of it, is another matter.

2. The high small forward role.

DBJ and Evans should play. It comes down to Narkle or McEntee. I am in no doubt that McEntee will get the chance to renew his role on Stewart. I don’t love it, but someone needs to go to him - and basically be sacrificed to do so. We don’t have another option without resigning ourselves to Stewart doing as he pleases. It makes the offensive work of all the other 21 players more critical. Alas, I suspect Evans will be sub again.

3. Ratugolea vs Marshall

I think most objective observers can see the strengths and weaknesses of both options. I’d love to bring in 2022 Todd Marshall, fresh, fit and in-form. We don’t have that player. Instead we have someone in his place who has left the field very early due to injury more than once this year after innocuous knocks. The same player who does have a weakness in retaining the contested ball, playing in front of his opponent and as of 2023-24, finishing his goal scoring opportunities with the confidence he once had.

In Ratugolea, we have a player who has no polish or finishing ability. You accept that any goal he scores will be an unexpected bonus - much like McEntee. But unmistakably, he plants himself in front of his opponents and keeps his ground under the high ball, rarely if ever getting beaten. He takes 2-4 important marks per game and gives Dixon some respite from the other big defenders. We’ve looked better as a team since he’s played the role for whatever reason. Not sure yet if it’s in spite of him or due to him, but I think we can and will get it done if he’s there to partner Dixon and MG. I wish we had the luxury of picking Marshall too but I don’t think we should. FWIW, if things become problematic in defence, you’re left with the options of moving Ratugolea, DBJ, Burgoyne or Rozee back if needed in-match. It’s enough cover for most scenarios.

My change:
Sinn for Farrell.

Evans for sub.

Narkle and Marshall among the emergencies.

Potentially what they might do below. If Marshall or even Dixon are cooked they'll rotate Sav and possibly put DBJ back.

I can understand why they gave McEntee a game against Freo in case because he does well on Stewart but guarantee Chris Scott has that sorted now and McEntee would be wasted. He does good as pressure forward no doubt and has speed on him too. But Evans and Narkle both seem to be better footy smarts in part, as forwards and lead plus convert. So I can't see if Jed makes it or should make it.

And they may bring Toddy in. Do I agree with it? Unsure. I know all 3 talls in Aliir, BZT and Sav did good together against Cats earlier on but who knows.

chris scott will keep it secret whether he plays hawkins. Neale the forward is tall and seems ok. So theyd realistically have Neale, Cameron and Henry as the key forwards. I'd assume. Possibly Bergman will roll on Cameron. Jones touch wood comes to play because he should good on Stengle with his pace etc... hopefully.

FB Aliir BZT Esava
HB Jones Bergman L.Evans
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Marshall Rozee
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Burton

SUB F.Evans

Personally I'd do this...

FB Bergman BZT Jones
HB L.Evans Aliir Burton
C Burgoyne Wines Boak
HF JHF Esava Rozee
FOL Sweet Butters Drew

INT DBJ Mead Narkle Sinn

SUB F.Evans

If Sinn can't keep up, sub and bring Evans ok and rotate DJB back.

If Bergs on Cameron they will possibly move him to wing if he can't get into it. In that case, I'd hope they just keep Bergs back and don't follow. Maybe throw Drew onto his wing when they switch and bring Mead In the guts or what ever.

Fingers crossed 🤞 will be very interesting how it plays out without Houston and Farrell. Danger is or was looking solid too so yeah. He's a prick player as well conning umpires into frees not there etc
Danger the prick player.. thought he was married w kids!

Rozee to the QB position could be the best or worst move ever.

I’m all for seeing it.

Bring DBJ to half back, put in Narkle. Marshall to sub.
Dixon for Visentini.

DBJ has already gone back. Visentini out for Dixon.

Then its just small v tall for the last spot. McEntee/Narkle/Marshall.

Its not going to get more complicated than that

Rozee is no longer in our starting midfield rotation. It's been Butters - Wines - Drew with Rozee starting forward. He needs to kick a few goals like JHF has been.

Rozee to half back in the Houston role isnt a bad idea…..he can be a great ball user in space and has the running capacity to break the lines which we will desperately need with Farrell out also.

If you make that move its the other high half forward role that Rozee has been rotating through being filled by Narkle so it’s Narkle in the 22 over Sinn or Williams.

Massive risk to try something for the first time in a final but could be the least bad option with potential to be good?

I think the coaches are over confident if they think that McEntee can nullify Stewart again. It worked last time because they were not prepared for the tactic or didn't think it would be effective. Now that every other team has jumped on the tactic, they have adjusted where and how Stewart plays. I think Narkle is the best option out of he and McEntee because he can create and has better goal sense.
Sinn should come in for Farrell for next game, with the understanding that Darcy or Burgoyne can move back if needed. Narkle can cover their spots in the event of a substitution.

We miraculously re-discovered the good Ryan Burton last weekend. Could we miraculously re-discover the good Dylan Williams too?

I think that's my preferred option. Prefer a guy with proven ability who is having a bad year in Williams to a guy who has never shown anything in Sinn, or messing with the structure by moving someone like DBJ or Esava back.

OUT: Farrell (inj), Visentini, Ratugolea
IN: Williams, Dixon, Marshall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We miraculously re-discovered the good Ryan Burton last weekend. Could we miraculously re-discover the good Dylan Williams too?

I think that's my preferred option. Prefer a guy with proven ability who is having a bad year in Williams to a guy who has never shown anything in Sinn, or messing with the structure by moving someone like DBJ or Esava back.

OUT: Farrell (inj), Visentini, Ratugolea
IN: Williams, Dixon, Marshall
You’ve finally come around to Mcentee?

I think the coaches are over confident if they think that McEntee can nullify Stewart again. It worked last time because they were not prepared for the tactic or didn't think it would be effective. Now that every other team has jumped on the tactic, they have adjusted where and how Stewart plays. I think Narkle is the best option out of he and McEntee because he can create and has better goal sense.
Sinn should come in for Farrell for next game, with the understanding that Darcy or Burgoyne can move back if needed. Narkle can cover their spots in the event of a substitution.
Sounds like Geelong are really going to regret that delisting.

You’ve finally come around to Mcentee?
No I genuinely forgot about him 😅

There's no point ever naming McEntee as an out, he plays the same terrible ineffective game every time he takes the field and he rarely gets dropped for it, so while Narkle is a much better player in much better form I'm not going to be at all shocked if we go with Jed next week.

Could butters solve the half back dilema. after all he is a great short pinpoint kick, one of our quickest players, who will give us good drive off of half back, is really good in a one on one ground ball siutation.

id prefer him do it over rozee due to the much superior ball use.

hoewever we would lose alot in our midfield putting butters half back due to him being our number 1 clearence and constested ball player.

is it worth putting butters at half back?

Rozee definitely has the skillset for that halfback position. He can get himself out of trouble, he's very clean with his hands and feet and is able to make quick decisions with ball in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back