Preview Changes & Preview Thread for QF2, 2024 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not feeling the finals buzz like in 2020 & 21. Might get mildy excited if we make a home prelim.
Losing this would be unacceptable, it should just be a get the job done vibe around the club, no bullshit, just win it.

A prelim is the real test. One we haven't passed under Hinkley.

Said it when it happened and will say it again. Sinn not coming in for the game against Freo will stuff us big time. We need a player like him right now with both our running attacking halfback flankers out. If Burton or whoever is earmarked to replace them in DBJ or Rozee go down and we lose yet another back flanker, we throw an 8 gamer to the wolves in a cut throat semi or prelim final. At least Vs Freo Sinn could of explained finals like tempo but instead we went mac n cheese. Possibly a premiership defining decision

We will win, calm the farm folks and relax. Our midfield will show the way and Dangerfield we’ve always had him covered.

Rioli 3, Mitch 3, Dixon 1, JHF 1, Evans 1 is where most of our goals will come from.

Were fresh and our pressure acts and running legs will be through the roof

We will win, calm the farm folks and relax. Our midfield will show the way and Dangerfield we’ve always had him covered.

Rioli 3, Mitch 3, Dixon 1, JHF 1, Evans 1 is where most of our goals will come from.

Were fresh and our pressure acts and running legs will be through the roof
We've got this

We'll beat Geelong and lock in these selection mistakes for the prelim.

Then we'll spend the prelim lamenting the lack of class in the forward line.

DBJ is completely the wrong player for the Farrell/Houston role. He needs to play forward where he's been incredibly effective all season. Replacing Farrell with DBJ and DBJ with the Narkle/Evans/McEntee mix is taking a problem and making it 2 problems. People are talking up 0 goals in a month Ratugolea over Marshall because of his physical presence, how do we think replacing DBJ with Narkle effects our forward line physicality?

Rioli Dixon Evans
McEntee Ratugolea Georgiades

A Premiership forward line? We're leaving too much to too few. It won't cost us against Geelong because our midfield will absolutely annihilate them, but it will against a bunch of other sides.

We'll beat Geelong and lock in these selection mistakes for the prelim.

Then we'll spend the prelim lamenting the lack of class in the forward line.

DBJ is completely the wrong player for the Farrell/Houston role. He needs to play forward where he's been incredibly effective all season. Replacing Farrell with DBJ and DBJ with the Narkle/Evans/McEntee mix is taking a problem and making it 2 problems. People are talking up 0 goals in a month Ratugolea over Marshall because of his physical presence, how do we think replacing DBJ with Narkle effects our forward line physicality?

Rioli Dixon Evans
McEntee Ratugolea Georgiades

A Premiership forward line? We're leaving too much to too few. It won't cost us against Geelong because our midfield will absolutely annihilate them, but it will against a bunch of other sides.
To be fair DBJ will not be taking the Houston/Farrell role. It will be Burton or as they are teasing possibly Rozee.

I expect Burton to be playing loose in defence as our plus one if Stewart drops back after starting on-ball. In my opinion its going to mean probably Holmes or Duncan ending up being loose for Geebung and in my opinion either of them could be more dangerous than Burton.

Going against the grain here but if Marshall is fit enough to be an emergency then he should be playing. We can't be serious playing a forward line with the rotting corpse of Dixon with the speed and turning circle of the Queen Mary, a rookie in Ratugolea who if he does clunk marks can't kick goals and a combo of 2 Geelong rejects and a poor mans Jake Neade who are picked for "pressure acts" rather than scoring ability.
Unless JHF kicks a bakers dozen I don't see where the winning score is coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If DBJ doesn't start back things look a lot better, but what's the alternative? Burgoyne back? Narkle? Rozee?

I'd personally have just played Sinn and kept everyone else playing where they've been in form.

To be fair DBJ will not be taking the Houston/Farrell role. It will be Burton or as they are teasing possibly Rozee.

I expect Burton to be playing loose in defence as our plus one if Stewart drops back after starting on-ball. In my opinion its going to mean probably Holmes or Duncan ending up being loose for Geebung and in my opinion either of them could be more dangerous than Burton.
Burton has already taken the Houston role and that's separate to the Farrell role which DBJ will be taking over, which will be a problem for us. Dixon, Esava, Rioli and DBJ have created a really good connection. Our issue will be Dixon max kicks 2 goals, Esava probably blanks but in the past it hasn't been an issue because DBJ and Rioli were there to crumb and goal which is our MO. But now we only have Rioli cause neither Narkle nor McEntee are the type to read the ball off hands and goal.

Then we have a second issue in defence which is DBJ. We have taken a lockdown defender and asked him to play an attacking HB role just because he won an AA selection in defence. It's a square peg in round hole situation

We have taken 2 of our weapons away when we could've at least kept 1, or maybe even both by playing Sinn who's got a similar style to Farrell.

If DBJ doesn't start back things look a lot better, but what's the alternative? Burgoyne back? Narkle? Rozee?

I'd personally have just played Sinn and kept everyone else playing where they've been in form.
I wouldn't be against trying Narkle there, I'm not sure why people have a hard-on for Sinn down there he's likely to be as much a deer in the headlights as anyone, I haven't put a line through him as a player but he's inexperienced & shown three 5ths of fukc all at the level so far.

The strange thing is, we're going into finals asking multiple players to prove themselves in a role they are unfamiliar with during this season when we could've just asked 1 player (Sinn) to prove himself at AFL level in a role he's familiar with. It's a strange decision, and one that I think will lead to Sinn's exit potentially

Duncan may be a late out

We’ve won finals on the back of the likes of Pittard, Fridge O’shea and Bonner as half back flankers disposing of the ball. If we can do that we can do anything
A game for the true believers, playing Dad's Army we've got this

Burton has already taken the Houston role and that's separate to the Farrell role which DBJ will be taking over, which will be a problem for us. Dixon, Esava, Rioli and DBJ have created a really good connection. Our issue will be Dixon max kicks 2 goals, Esava probably blanks but in the past it hasn't been an issue because DBJ and Rioli were there to crumb and goal which is our MO. But now we only have Rioli cause neither Narkle nor McEntee are the type to read the ball off hands and goal.

Then we have a second issue in defence which is DBJ. We have taken a lockdown defender and asked him to play an attacking HB role just because he won an AA selection in defence. It's a square peg in round hole situation

We have taken 2 of our weapons away when we could've at least kept 1, or maybe even both by playing Sinn who's got a similar style to Farrell.
I understand the point you're making but Sinn hasn't been able to replicate Farrells production in a regular game let alone a final too much too soon

I'd agree with everything you've said just swap Sinn for Williams

I understand the point you're making but Sinn hasn't been able to replicate Farrells production in a regular game let alone a final too much too soon

They've put a line through Williams he can't even make the emergencies.

Williams doesn't have the speed to break lines though plus we haven't given Sinn a chance at half back at AFL level with the same license we've given Farrell. Sinn's played wing most of the time in the AFL side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back