Preview Changes: R15 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Line up won’t really matter.

They will play the best footy in club history in the 1st quarter, will be 7 goals down at quarter time.

0-8 after the bye and 7-0 in the week after.

Just write this one off

I’m not giving up yet, I th8nk our best footy will push them. Even at their wingless ground.

Two weeks since we played, Geelong 5 days after a hiding. We finnish off well. Flat track and no wind suits us. Geelong have some old bodies they rely on. I would say if we're within 4 goals at 3/4time, we're in the match. Gws did a number on Geelong down there, we did a number on gws.

This win after losing the first game after bye, is dangerous for them. They were poor last nite, if they think its just gonna turn itself around because of an obscure stat, against a professional, hungry side. They will get pumped.

M crouch will do a job on kelly, his brother selwiod, Sloane and dangerfield will run together. Cey will give Sloane rest periods. We have three guys that can take ablett. Laird Smith or even brown. Rohan a huge loss for them. Two guys that can take Hawkins. Hartigan or Talia.
Rob will crucify Stanley, will also influence center ckearences.
What do they do with milera? Give him atkins role as sweeper at stoppages? MKe danger field accountable when breaking out of stoppages to someone physical.
Geelong like to drop men back, we like to use our spare at stoppages.

Hopefully they play Taylor on himmelberg. And himmelberg keeps presenting. Run him into the ground and create space for walker.

Were in this game big time.

Geelong showed last nite they are vulnerable to small forwards, bett we can capatalise on that?

Lol to literally everything here.

First of all, Geelong lost by 2 goals. Wouldn’t exactly call it a hiding. Sure, Port should have won by more, but they didn’t. At 3/4 time the game was anyone’s.

Secondly, the Cats have a 6 day break. Not 5. Counting isn’t hard.

Thirdly, the fact that GWS beat Geelong and we beat GWS is the sort of analysis I would expect from a pre-schooler. Beyond irrelevant.

Next, M Crouch will do a number on Kelly? What an absurd statement. The only players who have done a number on Kelly all season are a couple of lock-down taggers. If M Crouch plays on him he’ll have 30 touches minimum. Kelly is the Brownlow favourite for a reason.

B Crouch is gonna play on Selwood is he? Didn’t realise Brad was a wingman cos that’s where Joel has played all season. Literally a 0% chance of this matchup occurring. Brad will be opposed to Dangerfield or Duncan. Selwood will be opposed to Seedsman or Atkins.

Rohan is a huge loss? Who says he’s not playing? Most players who cop a head knock tend to get up for the following game these days. You’re reaching.

If you’ve seen any Crows v Geelong game in the last 5 years, you would know that Hartigan is not an option to play on Hawkins at all. He gets monstered by the biggest bodied forwards, and is far better suited to playing on literally any other Cats forward. Harto is likely to spend some time on Darcy Fort, and may also see time on any of Rohan, Dahlhaus, Ablett or even Dangerfield if he rests forward at times. Talia goes to Hawkins without a shadow of doubt.

Lastly, the Cats didn’t really show last night that they were vulnerable to small forwards at all. Robbie Gray is Robbie Gray, everyone is vulnerable to a hall of fame talent and he spent a large portion of the night in the midfield. Rozee was decent enough I suppose - he played a pretty stock standard game for him and got on the end of a couple due to Port’s complete midfield dominance. Farrell had about 4 touches and was completely shut out of the game. I’m not sure there was a traditional “small forward crumbing” type goal all night.

If last night said anything about Geelong, it’s that they are human and capable of an off-game. It also showed that Kelly can’t handle a hard tag and that if you beat the Cats midfield you might have a chance to win the game. They’ve now lost 2 games for the season, both by under 2 goals, and they are the undisputed premiership favourites.

According to the bookies, there is as much chance of us pulling off this victory as there is of Carlton heading over to Perth and knocking off Freo (Geelong and Freo are both $1.28 favourites as I type this). I completely agree (if anything, the Cats are overs). We’d need pretty much everything to go right, including selecting a tagger who can do a job on Kelly. It also involves playing the unique dimensions of Kardinia Park properly, which we haven’t done in any of the current playing group’s careers.

The structure of our defence and forwards has been virtually unchanged for a couple of months (excluding the loss of players within a match). Whilst it is possible for us to make all sorts of fantasy position changes to accomodate players, imho the chance of this happening is very low. Hence
1) We will replace our Key Forward / Back up Ruckman with a Key Forward / Back up Ruckman. This means Himmelberg for Jenkins unless we want to try Paul Hunter or Strachnie :rolleyes:.
2) We will replace a high half forward linkman with a high half forward linkman. This means Lynch for either Douglas (almost certainly) or Gallucci.
3) In the unlikely event that Murphy is not ready to go then Tyson Stengle come on down.
4) It is very hard to see a spot for Gibbs. He has been playing as an inside mid in the Twos. We already have Sloane, Mrouch, Brouch, CEY and Greenwood. We have also been trying to play Milera as a part-time outside mid, part-time inside mid (the injuries against GWS meant he was initially moved forward and later moved to defence), I don’t see any reason why Gibbs has moved up, the pecking order.
We could try Gibbsy in defence instead of Kelly, we could try him on the wing instead of Atkins or Seedsman, we could try him as a forward instead of Gallucci, Douglas or Murphy but this is not how we roll.

Out - Jenkins, Douglas
In - Himmelberg, Lynch

The structure of our defence and forwards has been virtually unchanged for a couple of months (excluding the loss of players within a match). Whilst it is possible for us to make all sorts of fantasy position changes to accomodate players, imho the chance of this happening is very low. Hence
1) We will replace our Key Forward / Back up Ruckman with a Key Forward / Back up Ruckman. This means Himmelberg for Jenkins unless we want to try Paul Hunter or Strachnie :rolleyes:.
2) We will replace a high half forward linkman with a high half forward linkman. This means Lynch for either Douglas (almost certainly) or Gallucci.
3) In the unlikely event that Murphy is not ready to go then Tyson Stengle come on down.
4) It is very hard to see a spot for Gibbs. He has been playing as an inside mid in the Twos. We already have Sloane, Mrouch, Brouch, CEY and Greenwood. We have also been trying to play Milera as a part-time outside mid, part-time inside mid (the injuries against GWS meant he was initially moved forward and later moved to defence), I don’t see any reason why Gibbs has moved up, the pecking order.
We could try Gibbsy in defence instead of Kelly, we could try him on the wing instead of Atkins or Seedsman, we could try him as a forward instead of Gallucci, Douglas or Murphy but this is not how we roll.

Out - Jenkins, Douglas
In - Himmelberg, Lynch
These are the obvious changes which I also posted a week ago.

This may be the game we look to go for a smaller forward line against the Cats to apply more pressure... with Lynch/Greenwood supporting Tex up forward. Hartigan/CEY to do small backup of ROB. Cats play 5 tall defenders so let's unsettle them.

Changes This week come down to the structure the coaches want in the forward line currently you have

JJ Tex Greenwood Douglas Galluci Betts Murphy

Lynch without doubt comes in and JJ (inj)

Do They bring EH

If EH comes in obviously to replace JJ

Who does lynch replace, Greenwood the guy that replaced him or swap him for a small like douglas or murphy and go taller against the cats

The answer will be in how the coach sees us beating the cats smaller forward line or taller

I watched the 2nd half of the Port vs Geelong game, and have to admit, Port did seem to rattle them, especially their half back players who always seem to have a field day against us.

Lots of high intensity and pressure on the body meant they seemed to lose their flow of easy uncontested possessions from half back to half forward

Not sure if its a blueprint on how to beat them, but it certainly seemed to have an negative impact on their forward entries

These are the obvious changes which I also posted a week ago.

This may be the game we look to go for a smaller forward line against the Cats to apply more pressure... with Lynch/Greenwood supporting Tex up forward. Hartigan/CEY to do small backup of ROB. Cats play 5 tall defenders so let's unsettle them.

If they go smaller forward line, mostly likely, as you suggested is Lynch in for JJ, and ruck a combination of either Harto Keath CEY Greenwood with ROB

If they go smaller and want EH in to replace JJ, greenwood will need to come out for Lynch, they wont drop Murphy or Douglas for Lynch, if they would prefer a smaller forward line

- Destroyed by their mids and refuse to tag
- Allow them spares behind the ball and bomb blindly to them all night
- Kick a record number out on the full
- Match be effectively over at quarter time
- Reamed by umpires

We've all seen the Geelong in Geelong script a hundred times and it won't change this week. Accept it and shift the focus to the Showdown...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all, Geelong lost by 2 goals. Wouldn’t exactly call it a hiding. Sure, Port should have won by more, but they didn’t. At 3/4 time the game was anyone’s.

Thirdly, the fact that GWS beat Geelong and we beat GWS is the sort of analysis I would expect from a pre-schooler. Beyond irrelevant.

Next, M Crouch will do a number on Kelly? What an absurd statement. The only players who have done a number on Kelly all season are a couple of lock-down taggers. If M Crouch plays on him he’ll have 30 touches minimum. Kelly is the Brownlow favourite for a reason.

B Crouch is gonna play on Selwood is he? Didn’t realise Brad was a wingman cos that’s where Joel has played all season. Literally a 0% chance of this matchup occurring. Brad will be opposed to Dangerfield or Duncan. Selwood will be opposed to Seedsman or Atkins.

Rohan is a huge loss? Who says he’s not playing? Most players who cop a head knock tend to get up for the following game these days. You’re reaching.

If you’ve seen any Crows v Geelong game in the last 5 years, you would know that Hartigan is not an option to play on Hawkins at all. He gets monstered by the biggest bodied forwards, and is far better suited to playing on literally any other Cats forward. Harto is likely to spend some time on Darcy Fort, and may also see time on any of Rohan, Dahlhaus, Ablett or even Dangerfield if he rests forward at times. Talia goes to Hawkins without a shadow of doubt.

Lastly, the Cats didn’t really show last night that they were vulnerable to small forwards at all. Robbie Gray is Robbie Gray, everyone is vulnerable to a hall of fame talent and he spent a large portion of the night in the midfield. Rozee was decent enough I suppose - he played a pretty stock standard game for him and got on the end of a couple due to Port’s complete midfield dominance. Farrell had about 4 touches and was completely shut out of the game. I’m not sure there was a traditional “small forward crumbing” type goal all night.

If last night said anything about Geelong, it’s that they are human and capable of an off-game. It also showed that Kelly can’t handle a hard tag and that if you beat the Cats midfield you might have a chance to win the game. They’ve now lost 2 games for the season, both by under 2 goals, and they are the undisputed premiership favourites.

According to the bookies, there is as much chance of us pulling off this victory as there is of Carlton heading over to Perth and knocking off Freo (Geelong and Freo are both $1.28 favourites as I type this). I completely agree (if anything, the Cats are overs). We’d need pretty much everything to go right, including selecting a tagger who can do a job on Kelly. It also involves playing the unique dimensions of Kardinia Park properly, which we haven’t done in any of the current playing group’s careers.

Geelong coach admitted they were well beaten. Ricciutto called it as dominant. I believe them before you.

Geelong didn't get home until today, rehab didn't start until today. 5 days to prepare.

M crouch has been tagging this year.

Out - Jenkins, Douglas
In - Himmelberg, Lynch

They ain't dropping Kelly, have a look on the website for the vid of our best marks to round 14.

Kelly the star.

I think we can win, especially if we can find someone better than atkins to play atkins role. Port showed us, that run on the outside of stoppages, burnt Geelong.

No point watching the game after that, Cats are gonna smash us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M crouch has been tagging this year.
You must have an interesting definition of “tagging”.

Our inside mids have been more accountable at stoppages this year but this is a long, long way from tagging. Have you ever seen Mrouch following a player when the ball leaves the stoppage? Nup, he moves to a particular position based on where the ball moves to from the stoppage.

Compare this to De Boer who is within 1 metre of his opponent for the entire match (including halftime and sitting next to him on the bench). The Gibbs “tag” on Oliver in the second half in Darwin was “interesting”. There were numerous occasions when Oliver was in the play and Gibbs was no where to be seen. At one point Atkins lined up on Oliver at a stoppage.

We rarely have a genuine tag, Riley Knight has been the closest example and I will be astounded if we adopt a genuine tag against Geelong.

You must have an interesting definition of “tagging”.

Our inside mids have been more accountable at stoppages this year but this is a long, long way from tagging. Have you ever seen Mrouch following a player when the ball leaves the stoppage? Nup, he moves to a particular position based on where the ball moves to from the stoppage.

Compare this to De Boer who is within 1 metre of his opponent for the entire match (including halftime and sitting next to him on the bench). The Gibbs “tag” on Oliver in the second half in Darwin was “interesting”. There were numerous occasions when Oliver was in the play and Gibbs was no where to be seen. At one point Atkins lined up on Oliver at a stoppage.

We rarely have a genuine tag, Riley Knight has been the closest example and I will be astounded if we adopt a genuine tag against Geelong.

A few weeks after the North Melbourne loss, Talia said everyone was playing to loose. We probably went a bit to far the other way, against freo and port..
Listening to the radio before the Melbourne game, a Melbourne assistant Coach spoke about mcrouch excelling when used as tagger or ball winner

I've had seen him play purely as a defensive player at stoppages, back to the ball. Sheparding their inside mid. Generally during rotations when his brother and/or Sloane on bench

They'll get the win. Let's realign for the game against the June premiers.
Just want us to be competitive against the cats win, lose or draw. We should get the win against Powaa as they played their grand final on Saturday night. They will feast of that win for 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R15 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back