Preview Changes: R16 vs Brisbane Bullets

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is when the player they're bringing in is not of AFL standard.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how well Frampton does in the SANFL because he's shown on numerous occasions that he can't cut the mustard at AFL level.

From a list development point of view, his inclusion in the side is a pointless exercise.

SANFL form is meaningless, must be burning up the training track though.

Gollant has played what, 2 SANFL games ?? Not quite enough for mine just yet.

Frampton has bashed the door down.

But he's pretty much a proven failure at the level. Must be his last chance if he doesn't perform. If the next best KPF isn't up to it, go smaller. Lynch will replace him next week unless he's in there as a second ruck to reduce Thilly workload. Next week will be Lynch and Murphy in for Pedlar and Frampton.

1) I did not write my post in bullet/numbering points, so not sure why you quoted it as such
4) I haven't looked at the stats, but I would propose that big bad Billy has been up there as the best performed big forwards in the comp. What sort of message does it send to him when he is told to go back to the SANFL and dominate, and then he does, and then not select him when the guy in front is struggling to impact the game. Also, Billy can ruck, change our structure and leave RT to stay home as a forward.
5) re McAdam - he's been my biggest disappointment this year to be honest
1) when I reply to a long post, it's just my way of keeping points separate and addressing them one by one.
I've nothing to say about 2} and 3} in your reply.
4) I haven't either, and it's not the point.
Frampton has been tried at AFL level for PA and for the Crows (from memory for the first 5 games, maybe 6). In those games he played worse and worse, after a promising pre-season. I haven't seen anything that he did in his last 3 AFL games that suggests he will make it. You make a good point about Frampton playing well in the SANFL, so he gets another shot. In spite of my criticism of him, I have said at least twice that I hope Frampton proves me wrong at AFL level. Maybe this time, he will do well. It would be good for the Crows, and him, if he did.
5) yes, McAdam is not playing for the team but for himself/MOTY; defensively lazy as well. It's a pity (like Fog, a bit) because he shows flashes of real talent.

1) when I reply to a long post, it's just my way of keeping points separate and addressing them one by one.
I've nothing to say about 2} and 3} in your reply.
4) I haven't either, and it's not the point.
Frampton has been tried at AFL level for PA and for the Crows (from memory for the first 5 games, maybe 6). In those games he played worse and worse, after a promising pre-season. I haven't seen anything that he did in his last 3 AFL games that suggests he will make it. You make a good point about Frampton playing well in the SANFL, so he gets another shot. In spite of my criticism of him, I have said at least twice that I hope Frampton proves me wrong at AFL level. Maybe this time, he will do well. It would be good for the Crows, and him, if he did.
5) yes, McAdam is not playing for the team but for himself/MOTY; defensively lazy as well. It's a pity (like Fog, a bit) because he shows flashes of real talent.
I'd hazard a guess you're mistaken if you think this is anything about Frampton and not entirely about teaching Fogarty that there's non-negotiables when you step out on the field and effort is one of the things at the top of the list.

There's a reason Frampton has gone ahead of Himmelberg and now Fogarty and it's not talent. Nicks is attempting to put those non-negotiables in place, it's like he told the midfield last year. If you're not willing to work defensively then pack your bags and walk out because he doesn't want you in the team if that's your attitude.

The fact we dropped both Fogarty and McAdam would indicate to me this is entirely about their lack of effort on the weekend and sending a message to them that while they may be best 22 on talent they're not on effort. They will never fulfil what their talent promises to deliver until they can learn to consistently put in that effort.

If I heard Nicks correctly, Sloane has opted to not have surgery now, which would restore his hand to near 100% strength, but put it off to the end of the year, when surgery will only restore his hand to about 60-70%.

All because he wants to keep playing with the group to help develop them.

Pretty selfless of him?

You spelt SELFISH wrong. His form has largely been poor apart from 1 game and now he's going in with the extra handicap of a busted finger. Best for him and club that he gets surgery and concentrates on 2022. But as a 20 touch midfielder, he doesn't want to watch a kid like Schoey crack 30 in the same role. He couldn't give a shit about developing the kids or he's totally delusional, which is actually odds on.

I'd hazard a guess you're mistaken if you think this is anything about Frampton and not entirely about teaching Fogarty that there's non-negotiables when you step out on the field and effort is one of the things at the top of the list.
Good response thanks.
I suggested in a previous post that Frampton's IN might be a lesson for Fogarty, but Fogarty has been dropped before for similar reasons and doesn't come back substantially better, well, not yet.
Coincidentally, I think you may have nailed why Nicks keeps selecting Mackay :sneaky: --- effort, at training and on game day, even when it doesn't come off.

So does that mean that 201 isn't undercover?

It is but it’s just on the edge

Depends where the weather is coming from

Windy wet nights we get damp !

you’re ok after about row G

but I think you’ll be able to move further back into the stand tomorrow anyway

Good response thanks.
I suggested in a previous post that Frampton's IN might be a lesson for Fogarty, but Fogarty has been dropped before for similar reasons and doesn't come back substantially better, well, not yet.
Coincidentally, I think you may have nailed why Nicks keeps selecting Mackay :sneaky: --- effort, at training and on game day, even when it doesn't come off.
I think of Mackay as well they have a floor on how much experience they want, so he keeps getting games because of that.

My guess with Frampton too is Fog has at times been given a role in taking up the loose man in defence, so that would usually require someone with a bit more height and aggression, hence why Frampton was picked instead of O'Connor or debuting Gollant or even Worrell (more of an experience thing with him). If we let Harris Andrews roam free he'll cut off a lot of entries, so will rely on someone like Frampton being active in getting to those contests to nullify Andrews influence.

Himmelberg had to do similar in the Power game against Aliir if I recall correctly and was OK, but wasn't consistent with his efforts and Aliir got free quite a few times.

Viska was my favourite player in the early 90s. That game against Sydney when we were down to 17 men and Viska hobbled back on with a fractured ankle, stood in the goal square and kicked 2 last quarter goals will stay with me. They talk about "tough guys of the AFL" and most of them were dead set snipers, Viska was tough, probably hammered nails into wood with his bare fist
Close but not quite right.
This is the game you are talking about.

Back when there were two on the bench. We lost Rocket Maynard early with a broken collarbone. Until then Maynard was the only crow left not to miss a game.Viska then joined him with a sprained ankle. Not fractured. Then Robran broke his leg. Viska hobbles back on playing in a pocket. Kicked his first goal in career. Sets up Modra with a great little handball in the square as well while being crunched.
Jars interviewed about the game at the end of year for in the 93 vhs says Mark Viskas performance in staying on was magnificent. Shows the courage and guts of that young fella. Kicked a goal to if I believe.

Close but not quite right.
This is the game you are talking about.

Back when there were two on the bench. We lost Rocket Maynard early with a broken collarbone. Until then Maynard was the only crow left not to miss a game.Viska then joined him with a sprained ankle. Not fractured. Then Robran broke his leg. Viska hobbles back on playing in a pocket. Kicked his first goal in career. Sets up Modra with a great little handball in the square as well while being crunched.
Jars interviewed about the game at the end of year for in the 93 vhs says Mark Viskas performance in staying on was magnificent. Shows the courage and guts of that young fella. Kicked a goal to if I believe.

So would have kicked 2 if Josh Modra wouldn't have called for the Joe the Goose?

No he hasn't. Fogarty has never played four games in a row at AFL level without kicking a single goal.

Frampton has had two games this year alone where he's had 5 disposals and 1 behind. Something Fogarty has never done in his career.

He was drafted in 2014! And yet seven years later he's having 5 disposal games with zero scoreboard impact. Fogarty would be absolutely crucified on here for that and he's a younger player. In fact Fogarty is being crucified on here for doing more than Frampton has ever done.
Fog is a first round pick. Frampton was on rookie list. Of course more is expected of Fog

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would make sense if we didn't bring in a guy whose effort is even lower than Fogarty

He is basically the same as Fogarty defensively, has similar score involvements but can't kick goals himself, has worse disposal and fewer inside 50s and despite being in the ruck at times manages to offer fewer clearances and ground ball gets. And gets fewer shots on goal each match.

Everything about how he plays suggests he is no better at getting involved in the game than Fogarty, and when he does get involved is less effective

However he does mark it inside 50 0.3 times more per game and averages 1 extra contested mark so that must be it :drunk: - oh and he sometimes takes marks in the SANFL too
Yeah I agree.

Says more about how Fog has been playing vs wanting Frampton in the team.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree.

Says more about how Fog has been playing vs wanting Frampton in the team.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oh well, there's nothing more certain than Lynch being rushed back into the side next week. Either at Frampton or TT's expense.

I think of Mackay as well they have a floor on how much experience they want, so he keeps getting games because of that.

My guess with Frampton too is Fog has at times been given a role in taking up the loose man in defence, so that would usually require someone with a bit more height and aggression, hence why Frampton was picked instead of O'Connor or debuting Gollant or even Worrell (more of an experience thing with him). If we let Harris Andrews roam free he'll cut off a lot of entries, so will rely on someone like Frampton being active in getting to those contests to nullify Andrews influence.

Himmelberg had to do similar in the Power game against Aliir if I recall correctly and was OK, but wasn't consistent with his efforts and Aliir got free quite a few times.

I still wouldn't be surprised if a 2nd ruck came into the discussion purely because they want to remove that from Thilthorpe's responsibility. My money is on Thilthorpe not undertaking second ruck duties. And whilst McAdam was in my top couple of favourites, he's a shell of the player that had me so excited last year. If we're going to get that from a forward only, we might as well get the same from a debutant, even if they're not getting meaningful minutes in their preferred role and only hit the turf for 50% of available time.

If Frampton rucks, I get it. If he doesn't, then we should have played Gollant or Worrell or Newchurch or the new kid or Davis or anyone else on our list. Except Strachan. Except Strachan.

Oh well, there's nothing more certain than Lynch being rushed back into the side next week. Either at Frampton or TT's expense.

Pedlar will be getting played as a forward. More likely that Lynch comes in for him. Plus there's Murphy who will also come back, so that might be for one of the KPF/2nd rucks. But a near certainty that both Lynch and Murphy are back next week. Regardless of SANFL output.

Pedlar will be getting played as a forward. More likely that Lynch comes in for him. Plus there's Murphy who will also come back, so that might be for one of the KPF/2nd rucks. But a near certainty that both Lynch and Murphy are back next week. Regardless of SANFL output.

Yeah, gotta load up for our flag assault.

Meanwhile poor old McPherson has been the sub for how many weeks now?

Would of liked to have seen Worrell replace Fog in Fwd line, maybe an option if Fog doesn't come good in the 2's?
I don't get that they don't see McAsey or Worrall as forward options (gotta be better than McAdam this year to start with). They have played much of their footy as forwards. Frampton could be better as a defender if he could make the level (not too likely). I think the box needs to thought out of a bit.

Yeah - Nicks kept saying it was Sloane’s decision. But it’s about (I think) strength in his hand. I guess we’ll find out this weekend, but sounds like another Lynch’s ankle - it’s fine to play with it until it’s not
Why the **** do we employ any non-players if everything is left up to the player’s decision? Could save us millions!

They gave him the no 10 because like Chris McDermott he’s from Glenelg and a hard nut.

Chris’s nickname is Bone - as in hard as.

Maybe something similar rather than Ped-related

My favourite nickname was always Mark Viska, known for flattening people - Death

As a Glenelg supporter who was at the 85 and 86 GFs, you know how much I am loving this.

Having said that, Grave Danger (David Grainger) is just about the perfect enforcers nickname. (I was also there at the G. Cornes game 🤬).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back