Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Centre clearances 14 to 7 where Ryder and most ruckmen are out jumping O'Brien, has to give the opposing mids the advantage when they know prior to the bounce where the ball is going on 2 to 1 ratio.

ROB is very competitive around the ground at stoppages and boundary ball ins where he can go body on body and negate the oppo ruck's natural leap as it again showed last night with the Crows winning the stoppage clearances 24 to 22 as opposed to centre clearances which the Saints pantsed us 14 to 7.

Eagles pantsed us 13 - 4 centre clearances the week before but again ROB was competitive only losing the stoppage clearances 13 - 15.

ROB is barely competitive in centre ball ups especially against the better class ruckmen who give their mids silver service when up against him..

Our mids should be used to that. Late in Jacobs' career his weakness was centre bounces also and then he clawed his way back around the ground where he could use his body. But I reckon we had more secondary ball ups from the re-start bounce back then. Just straight concede these days.

Our mids should be used to that. Late in Jacobs' career his weakness was centre bounces also and then he clawed his way back around the ground where he could use his body. But I reckon we had more secondary ball ups from the re-start bounce back then. Just straight concede these days.
We are used to it, but we got smashed in the back end of Jacobs career too.

There will be a change this week with one of Frampton, Berg or Strachan coming in.

Nicks comment in the post match was all about looking at additional ruck capacity in the 22. That could mean anything but we have seen Berg (no), Walker (no) and Frampton(maybe) tried in ruck, the only other option left untried is Strachan

i don't get this, he's seen us before without a proper second ruck. Why this week and not last week.

Except that he didn't. He's never "performed ok".
He was our most influential player on the ground when we played the Roos in the wet. Helped us win the game.

This year he played a decent game in the middle, then was kicked out for a crap Mrouch.

You are not the best judge of fringe players as you quickly write them off...

How many were hit to advantage? I know ROB gets his hand on it but can never get a clear tap. This because he does not know how to use his body.

Sounds like there were 8 opportunities for one.

If the midfield was working hard enough...

It's pretty easy to see, he dominated a SANFL final off an interrupted pre season against the best midfield in the comp.

He's not a small forward or inside mid. Get him out on a wing and let him find space rather than being drawn to a contest.

I bloody hope so because as Dangerousfield wrote - we wouldn’t think there’s anything special about Ned if he was drafted in the 50s, based on his AFL performances to far.

Seems like a ripper kid - unfortunately that’s the only reason we appear to have drafted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bloody hope so because as Dangerousfield wrote - we wouldn’t think there’s anything special about Ned if he was drafted in the 50s, based on his AFL performances to far.

Seems like a ripper kid - unfortunately that’s the only reason we appear to have drafted him.
I think people expect too much from younger draftees. Not many hit the ground running. Some take 4-5 to start playing consistent football.

It's pretty easy to see, he dominated a SANFL final off an interrupted pre season against the best midfield in the comp.

He's not a small forward or inside mid. Get him out on a wing and let him find space rather than being drawn to a contest.

Wasn't he drafted as an in/out mid?

I think people expect too much younger draftees. Not many hit the ground running. Some take 4-5 to start playing consistent football.
Yep got to play them to see if there is anything you like or see in them. After a series of games youve got a fair idea though. Trouble with our list is none of our young guys, except prob jones, mcpherson, one or two games from fog have stepped up. That is... what they brought at sanfl level is what they are bringing to afl and its not at the level required.

Out
Hartigan, Mackay (Never to play again)
Kelly-sick of his slow momentum-killing play
M Crouch just horrible...doesn't care, only to get stats
McHenry might be okay in another year, but at this stage looks a bust.

In
Fog, Sholl, Butts, Schoenburg, Gibbs.

Fish to the backline for Hartigan
Gibbs up forward.
Scholl and Butts HBF
Schoenburg in the guts.

At this stage nothing to lose, but must keep blooding the kids. Have to keep some senior players in re Gibbs or AFL might slap us for tanking.

Yep got to play them to see if there is anything you like or see in them. After a series of games youve got a fair idea though. Trouble with our list is none of our young guys, except prob jones, mcpherson, one or two games from fog have stepped up. That is... what they brought at sanfl level is what they are bringing to afl and its not at the level required.
Hamill has shown enough.

There are top 10 KPP with 4-5 years in the system who are only just starting to show value. People seem to think McAsey with an interrupted preseason should be doing more. Yet he's played games back and forward.

Agree would prefer to see more from McHenry, though happy to them persevere with him.

Hamill has shown enough.

There are top 10 KPP with 4-5 years in the system who are only just starting to show value. People seem to think McAsey with an interrupted preseason should be doing more. Yet he's played games back and forward.

Agree would prefer to see more from McHenry, though happy to them persevere with him.
6 AFL games!

Replacing O'Brien or are we going to tag team... Andrew Phillips?
I think they will ease him into it and play them both together for his first game. You'd think at some point Strauchn will get a go by himself when we start getting into the run of games close together as they will have to give ROB a game to rest at some point.

Why no Wilson (he isn't injured).

Centre beast who was number 1 for tackles in the SANFL last year and our most dominant SANFL mid.

We have Poholke, Wilson and Gibbs that would provide more effectiveness around the middle at this point than MCrouch. I'm not including Schoenberg as he is too under-developed to carry that weight, he would be fine if we had 2 heavy lifters in the centre.

Is the club obsessed with possessions as Greenwood suggested? 5 metres gained per possession is worse than pathetic, any of the 3 would be better.

I don't get why Matt is playing

They have.

I was willing to give Godden a year without Campo to establish himself.

Our setups are worse and our players aren't performing.
Due to COVID restrictions this is a major factor. Teams can only train together once a week. Otherwise they are in group of 8 I think with a mixture of forwards, mids and backs.

I think people expect too much from younger draftees. Not many hit the ground running. Some take 4-5 to start playing consistent football.
Yes, most won't start of like a Doedee.

Usually takes about 50 games to get consistency... Which is why we need to pump as many games into them asap.

Yes, most won't start of like a Doedee.

Usually takes about 50 games to get consistency... Which is why we need to pump as many games into them asap.
Yep, plus a few years in the SANFL. Probably should've debuted earlier than he did

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back