Outs: Hartigan, Kelly, Mrouch, Mackay, McHenry

B: Brown, Talia, Worrell
HB: McPherson, Doedee, Hamill
C: Smith, Polholke, Brouch
HF: Lynch, McAsey, Davis
F: Stengle, Walker, McAdam
R:O'Brien, Keays, Jones
I: Sholl, Schoenberg, Seedsman, Laird

Watch the replay. MacKay did some good things, but watch how many times he ballsed it up and watch his opponent and how easily they have it every time there is a contest. We must move forward ffs.
Yes this was my take too. Looked good and like he may do some nice stuff but disposal when broken free was just horrendous and not good enough. There's just nothing to be gained by keeping him in unless its to cover a tired body.

Worrell for Kelly might be an interesting move.
I'd love to see it but I think we do need to be a little careful stacking the whole defence with young guys as it places too much burden on Talia and what happens when he goes off ground? In theory I think we should be dropping Hartigan but with a couple other young guys already there I think Kelly stays for the short term. If we keep Hartigan then sure I'd do it just personally I'd prefer Kelly present.

I'd love to see it but I think we do need to be a little careful stacking the whole defence with young guys as it places too much burden on Talia and what happens when he goes off ground? In theory I think we should be dropping Hartigan but with a couple other young guys already there I think Kelly stays for the short term. If we keep Hartigan then sure I'd do it just personally I'd prefer Kelly present.
Thats fair enough.

Out:
M Crouch - Wasting midfield time on him.
Hartigan - Should only be in if a younger guy needs a week off.
Mackay - I'm not one of the perennial drop him guys (by default) but last nights disposal was that bad that he deserves to be dropped. Outside players need to be more effective.

In:
Schoenberg - It's time to get a look and by all reports he's earned it.
Butts - Again it's time to get a look for a couple weeks.
Poholke - Never gets a proper run at it, has proven he can take an overhead grab up forward.

Thin Ice:

Brown - Fallen off a cliff
Very happy with this. Poholke in M Crouch role. Give him the time for 4 weeks.
Butts to play in front of Hartigan. Easy decision.
Schoenberg - will be a flash here and there, but he is going to be great. Get him some exposure sooner rather than later.

Seedsman also needs to be looked at. He's one of the softest players I've ever seen.

Yes this was my take too. Looked good and like he may do some nice stuff but disposal when broken free was just horrendous and not good enough. There's just nothing to be gained by keeping him in unless its to cover a tired body.
Mackay absolutely tries his guts out, positions himself well, runs where he needs to and provides support and overlapping run... and then turns the ball over, misses goals he needs to kick, has his tackles broken or is wrapped up in a tackle himself. He is a great mature age player to have running around in the seconds mentoring young guys, but there is close to zero point playing him in the seniors.

Edit: so yes, I agree 👍

Must Keep Poholks. He will step straight into B Crouch's spot plus can also go forward to kick a goal.
Nah... Dots is a reincarnation of Mitch Grigg - very good player at SANFL level, not good enough for AFL level. Delisting him will be one of the easier decisions they make at the end of the year.

I really don't think you paid any attention to his game.
Yeah, of course I did.

Second most metres gained of any Crows footballer. The only player attempting any line breaking run - even Hamill was down on that front.

Did a bunch of good things that noone will remember because we've decided we don't like him. Should have kicked that goal (though that was maybe fifth on our "that should have been kicked" list) and should have stuck that tackle. But did a lot of other reasonable things.

Look - drop him. Absolutely. He has no role in our future. But don't let your prejudice against him blind you to the good things he was doing.

Nah... Dots is a reincarnation of Mitch Grigg - very good player at SANFL level, not good enough for AFL level. Delisting him will be one of the easier decisions they make at the end of the year.
We might actually know that if we bothered playing him in his natural position. He's going to be Jarryd Lyons 2.0 if we let him go. Has a very similar skill set but better over head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that's fair enough. Disposal was okay, but he's not a part of the future.

We might actually know that if we bothered playing him in his natural position. He's going to be Jarryd Lyons 2.0 if we let him go. Has a very similar skill set but better over head.
He's had plenty of opportunities, and shown absolutely nothing every single time.

He's not going to be Lyons 2.0. He's Mitch Grigg 2.0.

In: A tap ruckman who can compete in the middle, Schoenberg, Butts, Scholl

Out: Hartigan, Mackay, Mcrouch & Mchenry

I don't care play 2 rucks if we don't want to hurt ROBs feelings. Lets get some hitouts going our way at centre bounces.

Ive seen enough of Mchenry for now. Time to go back to ressies and win some ball not run marathons getting sub 5 disposals a game.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Centre clearances 14 to 7 where Ryder and most ruckmen are out jumping O'Brien, has to give the opposing mids the advantage when they know prior to the bounce where the ball is going on 2 to 1 ratio.

ROB is very competitive around the ground at stoppages and boundary ball ins where he can go body on body and negate the oppo ruck's natural leap as it again showed last night with the Crows winning the stoppage clearances 24 to 22 as opposed to centre clearances which the Saints pantsed us 14 to 7.

Eagles pantsed us 13 - 4 centre clearances the week before but again ROB was competitive only losing the stoppage clearances 13 - 15.

ROB is barely competitive in centre ball ups especially against the better class ruckmen who give their mids silver service when up against him..

Centre clearances 14 to 7 where Ryder and most ruckmen are out jumping O'Brien, has to give the opposing mids the advantage when they know prior to the bounce where the ball is going on 2 to 1 ratio.

ROB is very competitive around the ground at stoppages and boundary ball ins where he can go body on body and negate the oppo ruck's natural leap as it again showed last night with the Crows winning the stoppage clearances 24 to 22 as opposed to centre clearances which the Saints pantsed us 14 to 7.

Eagles pantsed us 13 - 4 centre clearances the week before but again ROB was competitive only losing the stoppage clearances 13 - 15.

ROB is barely competitive in centre ball ups especially against the better class ruckmen who give their mids silver service when up against him..

In this footage last night I highlighted a number of Matt Crouch's fails:

--

In the footage are a number of center bounces.

- The first one is a Ryder tap to Matt Crouch's man (Matt is 3m behind within half a second).
- The second is a Ryder tap to space, again Matt is miles behind his man.
- The third O'Brien taps directly to Matt but Steele rips it off him
- The fourth again O'Brien taps to where Matt or Brad should have been, but where the St Kilda player had worked to
- The fifth Ryder taps directly to where Matt is and he can't even be bothered bending over to pick it up
- The sixth O'Brien taps it to Jones who can't quite run onto it, then the Crouch brothers let it out the back
- The seventh the ball goes to ground and our players can't get it, again Matt lets it out
- The eighth Ryder taps directly to where Brad is running to, but Brad handballs it straight up in the air to a flat footed Matt who is 3m away under pressure

It's not O'Brien who is getting pansted at center stoppages, it's our ****ing abysmal midfield. In fact in none of these eight occasions is O'Brien jumped all over and only on one occasion could you say a midfielder was even remotely given "silver service" by Ryder

It's not O'Brien who is getting pansted at center stoppages, it's our ******* abysmal midfield. In fact in none of these eight occasions is O'Brien jumped all over and only on one occasion could you say a midfielder was even remotely given "silver service" by Ryder
It's both ROB and the Crouches who are getting pantsed at centre stoppages.

There are more bodies at around the ground stoppages. The opportunity for mids to demonstrate skill is negated.

They get exposed in the middle of the ground.

*If* ROB was the problem and our mids were actually very good in stoppages then we'd be getting plenty of secondary ball ups at the centre bounces from all the great tackles they're laying.

It's both ROB and the Crouches who are getting pantsed at centre stoppages.

Nope. O'Brien is fine at center stoppage hitouts, he's on a hiding to nothing when even his taps directly to our players on the chest are fumbled.

In this footage last night I highlighted a number of Matt Crouch's fails:

--

In the footage are a number of center bounces.

- The first one is a Ryder tap to Matt Crouch's man (Matt is 3m behind within half a second).
- The second is a Ryder tap to space, again Matt is miles behind his man.
- The third O'Brien taps directly to Matt but Steele rips it off him
- The fourth again O'Brien taps to where Matt or Brad should have been, but where the St Kilda player had worked to
- The fifth Ryder taps directly to where Matt is and he can't even be bothered bending over to pick it up
- The sixth O'Brien taps it to Jones who can't quite run onto it, then the Crouch brothers let it out the back
- The seventh the ball goes to ground and our players can't get it, again Matt lets it out
- The eighth Ryder taps directly to where Brad is running to, but Brad handballs it straight up in the air to a flat footed Matt who is 3m away under pressure

It's not O'Brien who is getting pansted at center stoppages, it's our ******* abysmal midfield. In fact in none of these eight occasions is O'Brien jumped all over and only on one occasion could you say a midfielder was even remotely given "silver service" by Ryder

I have mentioned this previously. M Crouch is standing in wrong position as he is too slow to play that position in the guts. He needs to be more 10oclock instead of 4-5oclock. You put Jones in that spot there may be a different result.

Nope. O'Brien is fine at center stoppage hitouts, he's on a hiding to nothing when even his taps directly to our players on the chest are fumbled.
I'm not absolving the Crouch brothers of being spectacularly awful... they are!

However, ROB is getting pantsed time & time again, at centre bounces. He holds his own at the ball-ups & boundary throw-ins, but he's getting smashed to kingdom come in the middle.

It's not a case of one or the other being poor - both ROB and the Crouch brothers are poor.

At the very first bounce in the entire game, Ryder taps directly to Matt Crouch who is in front and closest to the ball. Jones runs past him to get the ball first.

Happened all night and a few people here want to blame O'Brien for our center bounce work

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back