Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't likely to drop senior guys after our "best" performance of the year.

We should, but we won't.

Unless of course we are going to flick the side around during the next 5 games which I fully expect us to do. No doubt we will see Knight and Gibbs in the next 3 weeks.
Our esteemed SA footy media on radio have been starting to defend Matt in recent days too, saying that none of the criticism is warranted and poor Matt is just going through a down patch but still offers so many positives to the team. The hard hitting questions include asking about their golf game...

Our esteemed SA footy media on radio have been starting to defend Matt in recent days too, saying that none of the criticism is warranted and poor Matt is just going through a down patch but still offers so many positives to the team. The hard hitting questions include asking about their golf game...
Well done Rowie...they guy who said he would do the Brad Crouch -> pick 2 -> Ben Brown deal

What a clown! The guy played footy, but that seems to be about all he knows of the subject

Crouch has a lot of the Matt Connells about him, does a 180 every time he gets the ball. Grow some balls and kick it forward, hell maybe even kick it to a contest, that'd be a pleasant change. He was the player who played to advantage by running backwards. Jesus Christ, that's how bad we're going.
Agree. The players also need to lean to kick to space and let Mcadam and Stengle use their pace as well. Instiead they have been teeing it up in the air to players who can't take contested marks. Watching the team play their natural instinct all over the field is stop, look sideways, back track, generally handball to a player jogging or flat footed with 2 players hanging off them. That is pure coaching. Pyke and by extension Nicks has destroyed their natural instinct and flair. They are not teaching natural decision making based on circumstance. They need to empower players to play with some freedom.

Nicks is going with stock standard new coach mantra "were going to teach them defence first and then we will work on attack." What he needs to understand is that this is a total bullshit philosophy and if he sticks with it a different coach will be teaching them to attack.

Last edited:
Agree. The players also need to lean to kick to space and let Mcadam and Stengle use their pace as well. Instiead they have been teeing it up in the air to players who can't take contested marks. Watching the team play their natural instinct all over the field is stop, look sideways, back track, generally handball to a player jogging or flat footed with 2 players hanging off them. That is pure coaching. Pyke and by extension Nicks has destroyed their natural instinct and flair. They are not teaching natural decision making based on circumstance. They need to empower players to play with some freedom.

Nicks is going with stock standard new coach mantra "were going to teach them defence first and then we will work on attack." What he needs to understand is that this is a total bullshit philosophy and if he sticks with it a different coach will be teaching them to attack.
The first coach that teaches players to reflex the ball,and get it going forward quickly will be called innovative when it’s natural,once upon a time you had to score more than the opposition, now who defends the best, just kick a bigger score than the opposition

The first coach that teaches players to reflex the ball,and get it going forward quickly will be called innovative when it’s natural,once upon a time you had to score more than the opposition, now who defends the best, just kick a bigger score than the opposition
Yeah its bloody unwatchable. The only thing that keeps my interest on a match is whether I've got a wager on it. Afl needs to make some changes quickly as I don't want to see rugby. Also the constant tackling is leading to numerous ankle injuries. Afl needs to understand that there is a lot of competition for eyeballs and people want to see goals and high flying marks.

For us it's clearly we don't have the right players or right mix of players, or our structures and coaching is wrong. Bit A lot of both really
We have the worst midfield talent in the comp.

Yes Campo is a good scapegoat, but the last truly elite mid we drafted was Dangerfield.

Sloane and MCrouch are good workman. BCrouch should have been elite.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah its bloody unwatchable. The only thing that keeps my interest on a match is whether I've got a wager on it. Afl needs to make some changes quickly as I don't want to see rugby. Also the constant tackling is leading to numerous ankle injuries. Afl needs to understand that there is a lot of competition for eyeballs and people want to see goals and high flying marks.

Arguably, we're in this mess because the AFL keeps making changes quickly.

"oh lets put an interchange cap, that'll make players more fatigued and... open it up"
"lets add more grey rules instead of tightening it up"
"oh lets add some random 6-6-6 centre bounce rule, that'll do the trick".

I also disagree on the last point. The most popular sport in the world (and will always be seeing the stranglehold it has) is not a high scoring one in soccer. Goals are special in that game. Same deal with this, high flying marks are special. Though, at the end of the day, most games in any league are going to be boring/unmemorable after you've watched enough of it. Nothing is going to change that.

We have the worst midfield talent in the comp.

Yes Campo is a good scapegoat, but the last truly elite mid we drafted was Dangerfield.

Sloane and MCrouch are good workman. BCrouch should have been elite.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Since we drafted Matt Crouch it's been

Out: Dangerfield, Thompson, Douglas, Ellis-Yolmen, Lyons, Van Berlo, Grigg, Henderson*

In: Seedsman, Gallucci, Poholke, Gibbs, Jones, McHenry*, Wilson, Milera*, Keays

In and Out: Greenwood, Hampton, Gibson

*if you want to count them as midfielders

Arguably, we're in this mess because the AFL keeps making changes quickly.

"oh lets put an interchange cap, that'll make players more fatigued and... open it up"
"lets add more grey rules instead of tightening it up"
"oh lets add some random 6-6-6 centre bounce rule, that'll do the trick".

I also disagree on the last point. The most popular sport in the world (and will always be seeing the stranglehold it has) is not a high scoring one in soccer. Goals are special in that game. Same deal with this, high flying marks are special. Though, at the end of the day, most games in any league are going to be boring/unmemorable after you've watched enough of it. Nothing is going to change that.
Changes aren't bad as long as they decrease congestion. The problem is that the changes they made haven't fixed anything and in some cases have made it worse. They AFL is too scared to fix it so they end up doing nothing or worsening it. They generally are influenced by big mouth media shock jocks like Kane Cornes instead of showing real leadership. To fix congestion they should consider some measures which have been thrown up by many experts over the last 10 years such as:
1. Cutting team size down to 16 on field. Chris Scott mentioned this and states the game was dramatically different in the matches he saw it implemented.
2. Kicking distance increased to 20 or 25 metres. Also if a player kicks backwards it's play on.
3. A certain amount of players to stay in forward arcs at all times. This would dramatically decrease congestion.
4. Last touch out of bounds between the 50 metre lines is penalised. This would stop teams hugging the boundary line.
5. Players that go to ground with the ball are penalised. Players should be knocking the ball out.

Changes aren't bad as long as they decrease congestion. The problem is that the changes they made haven't fixed anything and in some cases have made it worse. They AFL is too scared to fix it so they end up doing nothing or worsening it. They generally are influenced by big mouth media shock jocks like Kane Cornes instead of showing real leadership. To fix congestion they should consider some measures which have been thrown up by many experts over the last 10 years such as:
1. Cutting team size down to 16 on field. Chris Scott mentioned this and states the game was dramatically different in the matches he saw it implemented.
2. Kicking distance increased to 20 or 25 metres. Also if a player kicks backwards it's play on.
3. A certain amount of players to stay in forward arcs at all times. This would dramatically decrease congestion.
4. Last touch out of bounds between the 50 metre lines is penalised. This would stop teams hugging the boundary line.
5. Players that go to ground with the ball are penalised. Players should be knocking the ball out.
I really don't mind the last touch out of bounds, it seems to work really well in the SANFL

I am also happy with zones, AFL has changed since the 1800's having a FF stay in the foward Arc wouldn't be outside what the guys who invented the game would be thinking.

On Monday we rotated seven players through our back six (plus cameos from Laird, Mackay, Smith and McAsey).
Brown (average) Talia (average) Doedee (fantastic) Kelly (average) Hartigan (poor) Hamill (poor) McPherson (good)
Out - Hartigan, In - Butts. Kelly and Brown on notice

We split the inside mid time almost equally between Mrouch, Brouch, Jones and Keays.
Keays (reasonable) Brouch (below average) Jones (poor) and Mrouch (shocking)
Out - Mrouch, In - Schoenberg

We gave 4 players meaningful minutes on the wing, Seedsman (poor) Laird (reasonable) Mackay (below average) and McHenry (below average).
Why did Smith play most of the game forward with a brief cameo in defence and on the wing?
I would like to drop both Mackay and Seedsman and bring in Sholl but 4 debutants aint gunna happen.

Out - Mackay or Seedsman Move Brodie Smith back to the wing.

We rolled 8 players through the wasteland called the Crows forwardline. Lynch (O.K.) Walker (O.K.) Laird (O.K.) McAdam (some good signs) Smith (MIA) McAsey (poor) Stengle (poor) McHenry (poor)

In - Strachan Smith moves to the wing.

Overall Out - Hartigan, Mrouch, Mackay In - Butts, Schoenberg, Strachan
I think that your suggestions are good and not over the top where we would be dropping 6 players.. I like the dropping Mrouch and the intro of Schoenberg. I have been wanting Schoenberg to get a go. Would love to see Butts and Sholl get some time but I am not sure about Strachan...just dont know much about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything that is wrong with our club right there. We'll give those in the golf group another 100 games to sort their form issues out.

Everything that is wrong with our club right there. We'll give those in the golf group another 100 games to sort their form issues out.
Nothing to do with the club on this one, it’s having guys like Jars and Rowey being best mates with players and therefore they can’t ask any hard questions

Thats twisted logic

Criticism isnt warranted but we agree he is having a bad patch (so any criticism is correct) :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back