Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

True. Whoever claimed Dawson was "ragdolled" by Kosi wasn't at the game.

Defending these days is fluid with guys switching regularly. But they set up with Dawson on Stanley. Kosi had a good patch where he kicked 2 or 3 goals and then I noticed Lyon switched Dawson onto him.

Too many on this board hate Dawson and focus on any errors (which all players make) as justification for removing him from the team.

Like the Dawson haters, I rate Silvagni and expect him to come into the line-up at some stage. But right now SCOS's barely beating his opponent in the WAFL, so I find the relentless bleating about him replacing Dawson completely illogical.

Turn it up, i swear some of you blokes are watching a different game.

All this, Silvagni must play at all costs, and Dawson must be dropped, is a load of nonsense.

The Back line is as settled as i have seen for ages.

Excellent posts, particularly agree with the bits in purple. Dawson had a couple of brain snaps, but which key defender doesn't make any errors? Fletcher and Jamison both had howlers at different points of the Carlton Essendon game today but no-one's screaming at them.

Most of the time Dawson did OK against the Saints, often when he was beaten it was because he'd left his man to cover a free Saint player.

Carazzo has disappeared down the race early with injury, not great news. I would really like to face them at full strength on Friday night. No excuses that way.

I was at the Carlton game today - very unusual poor game structure from them, Gibbs, Judd and Scotland were all very out of sorts, and Murphy was ineffective for most of the game as well. Carrots and Yarran are both likely to miss next week, and Laidler must be in some doubt too, as he had quite a bad ankle knock in the first quarter (though he did play the game out).

For balance, especially if Laidler muisses and they have to go with a smaller Blues backline, we might look to bring Keps back in and push Pav more into the midfield, with some time also in a high CHF role, with Keps and JA in the forward 50. Not sure who will be out, much depends on Fyfe's fitness and also whether Lower pulls up fit and firing after the hard hitout he had in the WAFL. I would drop Suban and bring in either Keps (yes we'd be tall) or Lower, and leave it at that.

Yarran out makes a huge difference for us.

Excellent posts, particularly agree with the bits in purple. Dawson had a couple of brain snaps, but which key defender doesn't make any errors? Fletcher and Jamison both had howlers at different points of the Carlton Essendon game today but no-one's screaming at them.

Most of the time Dawson did OK against the Saints, often when he was beaten it was because he'd left his man to cover a free Saint player.

I was at the Carlton game today - very unusual poor game structure from them, Gibbs, Judd and Scotland were all very out of sorts, and Murphy was ineffective for most of the game as well. Carrots and Yarran are both likely to miss next week, and Laidler must be in some doubt too, as he had quite a bad ankle knock in the first quarter (though he did play the game out).

For balance, especially if Laidler muisses and they have to go with a smaller Blues backline, we might look to bring Keps back in and push Pav more into the midfield, with some time also in a high CHF role, with Keps and JA in the forward 50. Not sure who will be out, much depends on Fyfe's fitness and also whether Lower pulls up fit and firing after the hard hitout he had in the WAFL. I would drop Suban and bring in either Keps (yes we'd be tall) or Lower, and leave it at that.

Yarran out makes a huge difference for us.

Yarran and Laidler are both expected to be available according to the AFL website match report.
I'm much happier with the balance of team without Kep. He's just not quite good enough to be an AFL forward. If he could mark ….

Here's all my hypotheticals, don't see them all happen as it might unsettle the team too much..

Thinking we still need a small crumbing forward against Carton
Out: Mayne/JA
In: Walters

Need a aggressive defender to shut
down small forwards AND Robinson is in form COULD can play Ibbo's role.,
Out: Ibbo/suban
In: Grover, Robinson

Fyfe replaces Neale as a sub.

and broughton is not in good form so..

Out: broughton
In: Lower/Van bero

It's amazing how you guys jump to conclusions soo quickly, like guys with all do respect, come on! You see someone go down for a second and I see it on here that hes out for next week, my brothers come on thats rubbish. I'd be suprised if Laider and Yarran don't play, there already expected to play. Carrazzo is out, which is great for Hill.

I'd like to see Suban play in the midfield, he is struggling at the moment and just really needs the ball in hes hands.

Here's all my hypotheticals, don't see them all happen as it might unsettle the team too much..

Thinking we still need a small crumbing forward against Carton
Out: Mayne/JA
In: Walters

Need a aggressive defender to shut
down small forwards AND Robinson is in form COULD can play Ibbo's role.,
Out: Ibbo/suban
In: Grover, Robinson

Fyfe replaces Neale as a sub.

and broughton is not in good form so..

Out: broughton

In: Lower/Van bero

Guessing you mean Roberton?

Mate, nooooo! Why so much hate for Mayne? He played terriffic in shutting down Sam Fisher and kicked two goals, winning. Broughton not in form? He played a superb game on Friday night, never drop Broughton, I thought it was needless to say that he is a very good player.

Give him a break! How about you get behind him and stop grousing and worrying about who he's keeping out of the team. Zac was excellent tonight. Worked hard and was rarely beaten one on one. Also maybe more than any of our other defenders, he's ready and able to leave his man and help out his team-mates. Really liked his game, and personally thought tonight he had a better night than the great #18, who was beaten by Reiwoldt.

I never rated Dawson at the Hawks never rated him at St Kilda and was surprised Freo chased him. I took the view start of the year as he is now a Freo player I would keep an open mind. I have watched all the Pre season games (except the one in SA) and attended our 2 home games and flew to Melbourne for Friday nights game. On what I have seen compared to Silvagni I stand by my original statement I still prefer Silvagni in the team. I will support Dawson because he plays for Freo and if he can eradicate his brain fades that gift the opposition goals he could be an asset.
I don't believe Dawson has done anything Silvagni (fitness permitting) couldn't have done other than I think Silvagni is a smarter footballer.

I thought Dawson had a mixed bag tonight, couple of normal brain fades but Saints were trying to isolate Kosi and went to him a lot and Dawson did an okay job. Couple of good unselfish acts as well. Commentators as always tried to crucify him.

Suban has been poor and is not in form. Should be replaced by Fyfe or Lower. Looked much better in 2nd half when Broughton was deeper in defence, much better there than Suban.

It's amazing how you guys jump to conclusions soo quickly, like guys with all do respect, come on! You see someone go down for a second and I see it on here that hes out for next week, my brothers come on thats rubbish. I'd be suprised if Laider and Yarran don't play, there already expected to play. Carrazzo is out, which is great for Hill.

I'd like to see Suban play in the midfield, he is struggling at the moment and just really needs the ball in hes hands.

Suban has rotated through the midfield in previous appearance Mike and NOT been able to get his hands on the ball, that's his problem and that's why there has been discussion from BF observers about bringing in someone who can. I think the more concerning issue with Suban's has been his inability to look for a man anywhere shorter than 40 m - he gets the ball, looks down the line and bombs it almost every time . Sure, he's got a sweet kicking action, doesn't mean he's a dangerous kick if you don't have the vision to match.
In short, bring a mid in who can be defensive also and alternate through the guts with , pending fitness and selection this week, you may look to Lower. I think Roberton will be too slow for garlett, betts types even though form good in wafl. I've said it on another thread that Spurr may be a roughie for the job

Herald sun reported yesterday that Fyfe is at best 3 weeks away, but the more than likely situation is that it is season over for him..... He got a bad second opinion from the surgeon in Melbourne, so I ask the question, how can anyone possibly think that Fyfe will play this week???

What happened to yarran, I was at the game yesterday but didn't see him go down.... The blues were awful yesterday I doubt they will play two games like that in a row so we will need to be up and firing

For those 'experts' calling for Mayne to be dropped, also is worth noting that his accuracy seems to have markedly improved so far this year. So far this season, he has kicked 6.0; during 2011 he kicked 25.23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald sun reported yesterday that Fyfe is at best 3 weeks away, but the more than likely situation is that it is season over for him..... He got a bad second opinion from the surgeon in Melbourne, so I ask the question, how can anyone possibly think that Fyfe will play this week???

What happened to yarran, I was at the game yesterday but didn't see him go down.... The blues were awful yesterday I doubt they will play two games like that in a row so we will need to be up and firing

KPR i didn't know that the Herald Sun would be privy to this info regarding Fyfes shoulder, i wouldn't believe anything thats written in that rag.

The second opinion was that he'd have a better chance of lasting the season if he missed the Saints game and played next week.

The problem with Carlton losing yesterday is that they will now be fired up to get back to the winners circle next Friday. They are going to come to Subiaco switched on. I'm glad Freo have this game at home. Ross and the team are going to have their hands full containing the dominant Carlton midfield. Freo' are going to have to lift and be switched on themselves with accurate disposal. Judd/Murphy/Gibbs/Carrazzo/Yarran/Betts will kill us if we are sloppy and turn it over.

It would be really good momentum builder to claim Carlton's scalp this Friday. We can do it, but need to improve.

For those 'experts' calling for Mayne to be dropped, also is worth noting that his accuracy seems to have markedly improved so far this year. So far this season, he has kicked 6.0; during 2011 he kicked 25.23.

Mayne is absolutely on fire. He's heading for 30 - 40 goals from a 3rd forward.

Plus he's taking someone out of the game every single week.

What more do people want?

We have some clueless spanners in here.

Mayne is absolutely on fire. He's heading for 30 - 40 goals from a 3rd forward.

Plus he's taking someone out of the game every single week.

What more do people want?

We have some clueless spanners in here.

Have to agree. Mayne seems to be fulfilling the tasks that are required of him at the moment. More goals wouldn't hurt but he certainly hasn't been total rubbish.

Mayne played well and I can't believe how good Johnson is playing this season. When they are on fire we look like a much stronger side.

I'd really like to see Lower, Silvagni and Fyfe in the team for next week.

Like some have said Suban out, MAybe Dawson to miss a week for that elbow. I think he will get off. Silvagni would upstage him against quality forwards.

What a problem to have really good players playing in the WAFL.

I think the only possible outs would be Suban (hasn't looked like it all year) or Lachie Neale (pecking order). I would have Ibbo next in line - seems really indecisive to me, but he's been ok without setting the world on fire. Anthony another possibility, but Lyon will not make wholesale changes. I haven't always been a supporter of Mayne over the last 2 years but to drop him would be wrong. I think he's just started to look like he's getting his mojo back, and I've always like the way he's put on the forwardline pressure.

There will be no changes for Carlton game . We just won a tough match against Saints without Fyfe . Why change the line up ?
Ross has shown already he wants stability .

I would usually advocate not changing a winning formula but Suban has to go according to Ross' mantra 'Reward for Effort'.
No the required effort saw him subbed out of the game and could see him replaced by JVB, Fyfe or Lower.

Would be great if we could bring back Kepler just to sidestep Judd for shits and giggles.

Who do you believe though? The Herald Sun? Or Ross Lyon? He said in his post-match press conference that Fyfe was close to playing against St Kilda but the advice was that if they wait a week he can get 20% more strength in his shoulder. I am definitely worried but if Ross says he should play then that is what I will believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back