Preview Changes Vs Dorkers Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler will leak goals again, and when he gets the ball he will do his usual stop and prop and kill our ball movement.

Bennell can ran and carry, and can use his pace to get us out of trouble in the backline, when we are stagnant.

Looked better as the game went on on the weekend.

I'm a bit torn on the Bennell/ Butler debate.

For me Bennell's greatest asset is his greatest weakness. His run and carry off the back line is awesome to have but he will always be far more damaging against a team that lacks a good small forward like Carlton whereas tomorrow Walters and Crozier would have a field day on him. He just stinks of to much attack and not enough defence. If he can get that balance perfect he becomes a regular best 22 for sure.

Can argue with Butler's lack of pace that Walters and Crozier will have a field day too, but Sam's an experienced head down back and a proven negating defender. He doesn't have the pace and attacking mindset of Bennell but against a dangerous small forward combination he just needs to play.

This is prob just wishful thinking but if we persist with "exp"
players this year and get killed simmo can at least justify getting rid of a few end of this year to those above him. If the board is still confident in some of the exp there is only one way he can really do it. If he played more youth and we got killed the exp players would still be playing next year and

Worse still we might find ourselves recruiting more rubbish. Watched the game last night.. Dodged a bullet with varcoe. Never contests the footy instead waits for a team mate to do the hard work while he waits on the outside but often positioned wrong because he's not reading the plAy. Then when he does get the ball instead of using his pace he remains stationary and hand balls it to the closest bloke. I reckon we would be hating him as much as priddis if he would have come here particularly due to the big bucks he would be getting.

Also don't see why bennell can't play on a wing or as a small forward. Am I missing something?

I was thinking the same thing, especially with Cripps and Le Cras in as small forwards/midfield rotations.

This makes me think Duggan might not be the sub anymore, but maybe Hill, because having all of those guys on for nearly a full game would be overkill for that player type. Would be good to see how much of a game Liam can run out.

Or perhaps that is wishful thinking.

I will do my best ..

Also don't see why bennell can't play on a wing or as a small forward. Am I missing something?
Yeah agree. People have mentioned the knee, but surely it's healed now.

Not sure about wing but half forward would be interesting. Wish we would experiment a little.

Those bemoaning the exclusion of Bennell only need watch the 1st Q against Carlton again. Twice he tore out of the back half and kicked straight to a Carlton player in space, and under no pressure whatsoever. Turnovers like this kill you ... kill momentum, and you just can't accept that. There was another misplaced kick too that denied us a scoring opportunity. I imagine this is the reason he is back at EP. Until he fixes these issues, he is reducing any rebounding advantage he may present.

Those bemoaning the exclusion of Bennell only need watch the 1st Q against Carlton again. Twice he tore out of the back half and kicked straight to a Carlton player in space, and under no pressure whatsoever. Turnovers like this kill you ... kill momentum, and you just can't accept that. There was another misplaced kick too that denied us a scoring opportunity. I imagine this is the reason he is back at EP. Until he fixes these issues, he is reducing any rebounding advantage he may present.
I think it's more the fact that it's Butler in at Bennell's expense.

Butler should do the honourable RoJo thing and retire at the end of this year.

I think this is why he isn't in this week.
He did work his way into the game last week, but to be fair, the last three quarters was a glorified training run. Carltons pressure on the ball carrier dropped off significantly. That won't happen this week, we need sure disposal coming off our backline. I think we don't have an issue with his disposal, rather his decision making & defensive efforts.

We obviously rate Bennell, otherwise he wouldn't have played last week. It was interesting shepherd was named on the wing- he is relatively quick so we might try to use him in that role this week.

Okay but that decision is only logical if it is applied across the board... I don't think we need to name people because we all know who this rule doesn't apply to. I would hope if that's the reason that everybody gets hammered for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay but that decision is only logical if it is applied across the board... I don't think we need to name people because we all know who this rule doesn't apply to. I would hope if that's the reason that everybody gets hammered for it

There certainly seems to be inconsistent levels of opportunity and patience extended to some players over others.

Hill wont get a touch if Johnson plays on him.Lets do something different and use Hill to tag Johnson.If Hill could shut him down it would be a huge win for us.Think outside the box.

Staggered with the hill selection

Its hardly as though he is going to play as a semi key position.

McInnes the obvious selection for mine and trial him at both ends.

I believe they did that today at EP with McInnes plaing down back ... Sinclair too, so he might well get a shift down back for the Eagles soon. When we are up against some big mongrel forwards, perhaps, like against Sydney.

I believe they did that today at EP with McInnes plaing down back ... Sinclair too, so he might well get a shift down back for the Eagles soon. When we are up against some big mongrel forwards, perhaps, like against Sydney.

Freo are still going to have taberner, pav, clarke and mayne

Would have been a perfect option to play mcinnes on someone like taberner or clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes Vs Dorkers Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back