Changes VS Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good points Invig.

I just don't know about resting Presti. Will it interupt his good form? It's hard to say.

I think MM will go with Brown over Reid because of his experience but I think Reid would be a good match up on Franklin. It's been proven that Brown or Presti can't go with him. Reid just might not be ready yet, possibly next year.

We have a very very hard draw this year. It's really important that we manage all our players well if we are to hit the finals (touch wood) in good fitness. Games like Melbourne are the perfect opportunity to take it easy and rest some players. With the Saints, Hawks and Bombers all coming up I think we need to manage some players.

INS: Beams, Nathan Brown, Macaffer
OUTS: Ball, Presti, Lockyer

I don't think the Etihad surface would have done Balls groin any favours. I'd bring in Beams and rest him. Nathan Brown in for Presti who slowed noticeably last year. This is a good game to give him a week off. Lockyer too although durable is one of the old brigade and I think may slow as the season wears on. Macaffer the obvious inclusion here.

I'm all for "managing" players, however, round 2 is not the time for it.

We should only be resting them once we have the "luxury" of doing so by winning as many games as we can early to set-up our second half of the season.

Resting Bally won't happen. He needs to learn and adapt to our game so he needs plenty of matches to do so. Ditto Jolly.

Realistically, there is really only one change I can see for the weekend and that is Rusty out for Beams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "no change" and perhaps Presti may miss due to "horses for courses" and match-ups.

What's all this talk of "resting" players just because it's Melbourne? Think back to, was it 2005, when we'd won one match and Eagles were on top undefeated I think? Round 9 or something anyway. Ended up beating them when our odds were something like $12, much the same as Melbourne are for us this week.

Yeah Melbourne played like crap on the weekend, and yeah we SHOULD pummel them by 50+ points, but remember what can happen when we come off a confident win, we can get ahead of ourselves and tend to lose the easy ones. Melbourne will be getting a kick up the arse this week, so expect them to come out firing. Yeah we should win easily, but don't start taking out good players just because it's Melbourne.

If it was Round 18/19, I'd say yeah good idea probably, but not in Round 2. Everyone's fit and firing to go. Best 22 on the field I say. Especially not Presti who is clearly our main key defender and we saw what can happen when he's not in there (Saints NAB Cup Rnd 1). Sure, Brad Miller is no Riewoldt, but I wouldn't be taking chances.

Best 22 to be fielded, whatever that may be. No resting players IMO.

Geez, we have to make players earn spots this year. No gifts.
Can't think of a single player who deserves to be dropped.
Anyone would think we just scraped in over Richmond.

The Bulldogs are a damned good side as form would suggest.

All the boys did well.

Geez, we have to make players earn spots this year. No gifts.
Can't think of a single player who deserves to be dropped.
Anyone would think we just scraped in over Richmond.

The Bulldogs are a damned good side as form would suggest.

All the boys did well.

Toovey did well?

Really?

Seriously?

When most players playing essentially a run with role are spanked for a half, they usually tighten up and try and break even in the second halh. Toovey just stayed the course to try and avoid playing WORSE.

Toovey did well?

Really?

Seriously?

When most players playing essentially a run with role are spanked for a half, they usually tighten up and try and break even in the second halh. Toovey just stayed the course to try and avoid playing WORSE.

Can't say I agree with this. Toovey did a lot of nice things I thought.

If anyone should be dropped, it is probably Sidebottom.

Resting players? For Round 2? This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard. Especially because we have 2 new recruits who need to get used to how we play.

I am concerned with how many people keep saying 'It's only Melbourne.' I hope that Collingwood aren't thinking that on the weekend. I don't care who we are up against, you should never go into a game thinking 'It's only so-and-so, we'll win this with our eyes shut.'

No changes. The team needs stability and to back up last weeks amazing performance with another. Beams hasn't played in 3 weeks. Give him a run in the VFL. Dawes kicked 7 in VFL Practice match, that does NOT mean he is a force to be reckoned with. It means he can kick 7 in a VFL practice match.

Leigh Brown was fantastic on Sunday and absolutely should be there this week to totally intimidate the small Melbourne bodies. Johnson and Toovey both played well and both deserve another game (I expect Toovey to play every game this year). Sidebottom has played about 10(?) AFL games in his career. It's a new look midfield for him too. He came good in the 2nd half and will be an important player for Collingwood this year. O'Bree and Ball obviously have a few teething issues but I expect them to be sorted before we get to the 'Aints in a fortnight.

As I said, no Changes. Our end game (For finals) should be with Beams in the team, not sure who misses out, time will tell, but otherwise we had our best 22 on the park last weekend.

Toovey wasn't great and probably was beaten on the day by Murphy, however, he only had 1 goal kicked on him.

He is still an important defender to have as he can play on a variety of opponents. The only player I would replace Toovey for is Goldsack if he is fit and available, otherwise, Toovey holds his spot for the time being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how useful it is to drop a young developing kid like Sidebottom. I think it can be better to give him a run of games and get him into the swing of it, and show him some confidence.

In: Beams

Out: Fraser

We don't need two talls, and L.Brown can ruck backline, Cloke forward if need be. Fraser is also one of the worst footballers in the league. Calamity after calamity. Maybe also out - Johnson, in Goldsack, but that's just a personal preference.

That is easily the worst post I have ever seen on bigfooty. Fraser's an absolute gun and if we wanna drop a ruckman, based on last weeks performance, Jolly would be playing 2s this week. Seriously what the ****? Besides Cloke, Fraser is the guy we need firing to win a premiership. Finally getting freed up and he'll dominate for it.

Toovey did well?

Really?

Seriously?

Toovey played his role very well I thought. Murphy is a hopeless hack obviously and that one goal he kicked was very much out of character. Tooves probably feels he let the side down a bit letting a lame forward like Murphy, who has never had any impact against us at all, snag a gimmee goal in the manner he did.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is that burning sarcasm I can smell????

Toovey is a negating player. That's what he has been developed as and is doing well as.

I don't disagree that we should consider Melbourne an opponent all the 22 on the ground need to be switched on against.

That said, like Geelong last year (and unlike Geelong of 2008) we need to be using these sorts of games to develop Plan B in case things don't go to plan like they did Round 1.

The tall KPD is the main position - if we lost Presti we'd be more stuffed than the Saints without Riewoldt.

I see the first few games of the year as a chance for us to rotate a few players through the midfield mix, giving a taste of first 22 action but not a regular spot - treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen.

Buttifant who worked with Mick on the rotations can now up the level to rotations through the VFL to increase intensity of a game player, and broaden our base without losing people to "overuse injuries".

I'd suggest N Brown and/or Reid would be good to get 15 games into them before the end of the year so we have options come finals time. The only way to do this means to drop, rotate or indeed rest someone else.

Another option could be to start Cloke or Anthony down back for a longer period this week.

Certainly resting Presti given the adductor rumours would be smart I'd think. Get him thinking St Kilda already and have a nice break.

The other thing about resting or rotating is that it's best done in a slow and steady way - 3 changes per week - rather than the way Geelong and St Kilda did it last year (even though it worked for them) when they dropped everyone. We just don't have the luxury to throw away 4 points any week.

My changes:
IN: N Brown, Beams
OUT: Prestigiacomo (rest), Sidebottom

If Brown is left out, I'll be furious. His hard body will do wonders against Melbourne. I want Beamer back in, though, and also giving NBrown practice against one of the lesser teams will be valuable.

It would be stupid to rest anyone, and why would they, we've only played one bloody game!

The only players I can see going out would be Toovey or Sidebottom and with Goldsack, Beams, McCarthy, Reid and Macaffer fighting for those 2 spots.

No Changes.

I can understand some peoples opinions for change, however we did just come off a solid win, and we are playing Melbourne. It was the first game of the season and in my eyes we need consistency, especially when I can't really fault anyone for putting a foot wrong.

Toovey wasn't great and probably was beaten on the day by Murphy, however, he only had 1 goal kicked on him.

He is still an important defender to have as he can play on a variety of opponents. The only player I would replace Toovey for is Goldsack if he is fit and available, otherwise, Toovey holds his spot for the time being.
Probably got beaten by Murphy he got smashed and would want to put a good one in this week else Goldy will be in. I think Toovey is improving but god he makes me nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes VS Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back