Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Hrovat in for Goodes, showed last year he is capable of collecting a fair bit of the ball and probably a better user than Goodes also. We were considerbly down in the possession count for most the game. Would start grant on in the same role as honeychurch. Grant could bring the same intensity but with classier ball use. Hamling, hunter and Stevens still fighting for a spot

In reply to Goodes,
He's a serviceable player. If we play him we would probably get better results however, I don't see many years left in him and feel the need to play the youngsters would benefit us in the long term.

Bev and the crew elevated him for a reason, so with the need for a bigger body and experience it's unlikely he'd be dropped. It's just something I'd like to see.
Hrovat in for Goodes, showed last year he is capable of collecting a fair bit of the ball and probably a better user than Goodes also. We were considerbly down in the possession count for most the game. Would start grant on in the same role as honeychurch. Grant could bring the same intensity but with classier ball use. Hamling, hunter and Stevens still fighting for a spot
id keep goodes in. But if we were to make a change id bring in Stevens because of toughness !

Just had a quick glance at their changes thread. OMG, what do they think they've achieved in order to act like complete tools? They're the shittest club of the last 35 years that carries on like its a modern day powerhouse. They've got a side that's going doesn't have the player power to get into the top 4 hence will be fringe bottom 8 pests until 5-6 sides go well past them in 2-3 years.

Its round one. I fully expected you guys to beat wce and us to beat carlton. Cobwebs should be gone and performances should only improve.

If we learnt anything from the game last year and the second half of the year we should win. No disrespect intended just at different stages of a build. Should be a very entertaining game if we dont shut down your run. I think we now have more options up forward to give you a headache a deeper midfield (where pur stars can play much better) and a defence that should account for your forwards and give us plenty of rebound.

I agree with this.

I also think it should be a pretty good game. I'd be guessing Tiges by 3-4 goals. But I live in hope!

If we don't address the easy movement through the corridor it'll be an mcg bloodbath. Glad beveridge has us roughing teams up though. You have to with richmond

Wrote a preview on our board you're all welcome to come have a read and have a discussion about, tried to be pretty neutral.

Of course given our sides respective development I would expect us to win, but certainly not discounting you guys, you played some good footy this weekend and we weren't too flash. Best of luck guys :)

Interesting observations, the main one I agree with is Ruck support. Boyd just has to be played to learn, on,y rested when needed. His ability is clear just needs a little time. Crameri coming in means a choice between Redpath and Cordy. This will be the case all years. Therefore, I would give Redpath a couple more games and if he does not step up Cordy gets the opportunity and this goes through the year. At the end of the year we will know who to persist with

I think we need to prioritise team needs over individual player needs. We currently have 3 full forward types in our team, namely Stringer, Boyd, and Redpath. Which I think is one too many. We are also a back up ruckman short.

Although Stringer is fairly versatile he is also the most experienced and inform forward of the bunch, and should continue to be our focal point up forward. We have just paid an absolute fortune to get Boyd to the club as a full forward, plus he had a better game on Saturday night so he should be the secondary deep forward.

Redpath should be the one to make way, at least for the moment, and I think Cordy should come in.

What we don't want to do is compromise the team balance for the sake of giving Redpath another week to prove himself.

No changes for mine.

On notice:
  • Goodes - needs to do a bit more if he's going to keep his spot ahead of our talented youngsters. To have value he needs to crash and bash, and provide support in the form of shepherds etc more often. Also cost Honeychurch a goal through sheer selfish play and that's unacceptable.
  • Honeychurch - very harsh given his game, but unfortunately there are just better and classier players pushing for selection. His tenacity is unmatched, but his skill and creativity is well and truly surpassed by the likes of Hrovat, Webb, and even Stevens. Needs to be more accurate by foot - even if that means playing it a little safer.
  • Redpath - he was poor, but if he'd clunked even two or three of those marks his game would jump to being 'good.' He's normally a pretty strong mark and we've seen him take marks like that all pre-season. Deserves another few games to get back into the rhythm of it. Still far from sold on his ability at AFL level, but dropping him after one poor game that saw him regularly get into the right places but just fail to capitalise is harsh.
  • Wood - we know he can play better football and he needs to. Positioning was off, didn't defend well and didn't get involved in the play when there were opportunities to. Ran away from the man with the ball looking for an option numerous times.
Other random notes: I think Grant deserves a chance without the vest, and thank god Beveridge had more faith in Johannisen than I did (but I'll repeat myself again - more time in front of the ball please!!!!).

No changes for mine.

On notice:
  • Goodes - needs to do a bit more if he's going to keep his spot ahead of our talented youngsters. To have value he needs to crash and bash, and provide support in the form of shepherds etc more often. Also cost Honeychurch a goal through sheer selfish play and that's unacceptable.
  • Honeychurch - very harsh given his game, but unfortunately there are just better and classier players pushing for selection. His tenacity is unmatched, but his skill and creativity is well and truly surpassed by the likes of Hrovat, Webb, and even Stevens. Needs to be more accurate by foot - even if that means playing it a little safer.
  • Redpath - he was poor, but if he'd clunked even two or three of those marks his game would jump to being 'good.' He's normally a pretty strong mark and we've seen him take marks like that all pre-season. Deserves another few games to get back into the rhythm of it. Still far from sold on his ability at AFL level, but dropping him after one poor game that saw him regularly get into the right places but just fail to capitalise is harsh.
  • Wood - we know he can play better football and he needs to. Positioning was off, didn't defend well and didn't get involved in the play when there were opportunities to. Ran away from the man with the ball looking for an option numerous times.
Other random notes: I think Grant deserves a chance without the vest, and thank god Beveridge had more faith in Johannisen than I did (but I'll repeat myself again - more time in front of the ball please!!!!).
Please explain the bolded.

Please explain the bolded.
Goodes was running inside 50, two opposition players came at him. Honeychurch was running alongside him in the pocket with no pressure and pretty much a clear run to goal, screaming at him for a very easy handpass and near-certain goal...he instead opted to run straight at the two guys and try some crazy evasive manoeuvre to get past them to kick the goal himself. Tackled and goal opportunity lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes was running inside 50, two opposition players came at him. Honeychurch was running alongside him in the pocket with no pressure and pretty much a clear run to goal, screaming at him for a very easy handpass and near-certain goal...he instead opted to run straight at the two guys and try some crazy evasive manoeuvre to get past them to kick the goal himself. Tackled and goal opportunity lost.
That's because he tried to get back onto his left. Honeychurch is on his outside.

Richmond supporters are so arrogant. Reading their preview thread even the person who tries to be reasonable comes with the conclusion of "5 goal win". They bang on about how Mitch Brown went down after Mackenzie injury, and that somehow meant that we won, but even if they took a 30 second look at the stats, Redpath and Boyd took a grand total of 3 marks between the two of them - that isn't the reason we won. The reason we won is because we smashed them around the contests, pretty much doubling the amount of clearances they had after quarter time. And that's even putting aside the I50 and scoring shots difference, which would ordinarily mean a 20+ point win with those stats.

You'd think that they'd learn their lesson after last year but no.

That's because he tried to get back onto his left. Honeychurch is on his outside.

Thanks. I was on the opposite side to the camera and I must admit, it looked worse from my angle than it did there. Still poor awareness and a pretty average decision, though. Honey should never have been missed. Worked his arse off to provide support.

At worst I'd think we should win by as much as we did round 1 2006. And before everyone has a go at me for being unrealistic, I said at worst. I fully expect a 30 goal win.

Let's not miss the Forrest for the trees here lads. Goodes was ok, but Hrovat is a key key cog to our next tilt. I think he's a better player than goodes today, and most certainly will be tomorrow (figuratively of course). He adds class which is what we still need a LOT more of. Has to play for mine. The win was great, but there's a much bigger picture here that we can't lose sight of.

Honey has to use the ball better and get more of it or he's an easy out for hunter unfortunately.

Let's not miss the Forrest for the trees here lads. Goodes was ok, but Hrovat is a key key cog to our next tilt. .

Then we ain't winning a flag in the Next ten years

Regardless what I think are you serious?? Let's be fair minded here.

The kid has played 20 odd games(can't be bothered looking it up) and is injury prone and is yet to prove anything... Talk about over hyped and putting pressure on a kid

Forest thru the trees Fronk

not sure if its been mentioned, but Deledio has been given a 2 week ban, but can accept 1 week if he takes the early guilty plea

Not only will Hrovat be a key cog in our flag tilt, he'll have a HFF named after him at Whitten Oval shortly after he cures cancer, beats Vladimir Putin in a fight to the death and brings peace to the Middle East.

I hear he's also pretty good at FIFA.

Then we ain't winning a flag in the Next ten years

Regardless what I think are you serious?? Let's be fair minded here.

The kid has played 20 odd games(can't be bothered looking it up) and is injury prone and is yet to prove anything... Talk about over hyped and putting pressure on a kid

Forest thru the trees Fronk
Your opinion on the kid is clear MD, as is mine. Agree to disagree and play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back