List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Peoples trade expectations even for a contracted Barrass are way OTT IMO.

He is 29 with questions over his back and longevity. Will be similar to Yeo in that he would be worth more to us than what other clubs would be willing to pay.

Other fans do refer to TB as a Brien Lake type pick up. A KP. player that could turn a contender in a premier and could have 4 years left if his body holds up.

RE Bobby Hill. Good player but just too punchable IMO. Would be the perfect Sonny Walters replacement for Freo. Both annoying punchable characters who you are glad dont play for the team you support. Same as Pickett at the Dees.

Lake was a year off becoming a free agent which affected what the Bulldogs accepted for him.

He is 29 with questions over his back and longevity. Will be similar to Yeo in that he would be worth more to us than what other clubs would be willing to pay.

Other fans do refer to TB as a Brien Lake type pick up. A KP. player that could turn a contender in a premier and could have 4 years left if his body holds up.
Any club coming for him is aware he's contracted for another 3 seasons, so trade expectations are rightly in our favour or we simply keep him.

Surely Warner is Freo bound if anything, sounds like theyve got the salary cap space so itll be really hard to beat them.
Im more than happy to miss him and go through the draft if thats the case
What are you basing that on? We easily have the ability to out bid them salary wise and if he decided to leave this year or next we more than likely have the better trade currency as well.

RE Bobby Hill. Good player but just too punchable IMO. Would be the perfect Sonny Walters replacement for Freo. Both annoying punchable characters who you are glad dont play for the team you support. Same as Pickett at the Dees.
Agree with Bobby Hill, disagree with Barrass. Premierships winning KPD with plenty of good footy left in him and as I’ve consistently stated some posters are over calling the impact his back injury has and will have on his footy. He’s played bloody well this year after finding his feet again.

Barrass with his 3 year contract and us contributing to his salary is worth a pick 6-10 and pick in the low 20s or two picks in the 10-15 range. Could easily be the difference between a flag and no flag for some teams for his ability to nullify an elite KPF and intercept.

There was a lot to get excited about with this performance by the 197cm key forward Charlie Nicholls. He moved super well, presenting all over the ground and drawing the footy. He competed well in the air, always at least halving the contest and providing his smaller forwards with ground level opportunities. He dropped some marks that he would expect to clunk, but his hands became increasingly sticky as the game progressed and he gained in confidence. The one area for concern would have to be his set shot kicking which has been wayward through the Champs series so far.

Any club coming for him is aware he's contracted for another 3 seasons, so trade expectations are rightly in our favour or we simply keep him.

Sure we hold the whip hand and can just retain him.

But that was my point.He is likely worth more to us than what a team would likely offer.

A single top 10 pick say the Hawks is around the mark. Maybe a fringe player or pick upgrade added. But not a top 10 pick, PLUS a player PLUS F2nd.

Good young mids go for top 10 picks plus a 2nd.

F#(k Richmond.

They extorted both us and freo to get those extra pick by say unless you swap picks with us at the cost of your future 3rd rounder we will take the player you want knowing the whole time their player should slide .

Shit campaigners
I think Richmond played it smart. I hope that Matt Clarke played a role in their strategy, and that he brings that sort of thinking to our club.

If the resources aren't put in to developing a talent pool, that will affect every team, because if one talent pool diminishes, all clubs will look to get their talent from other pools. So there's less talent over all, spread much more thinly.

I've no issue having to pay full market value. There's never been an argument from me about keeping the 20% discount.

I can think of 5 players over a 10 year period. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden and Campbell. And just remembered there was a who moment last draft, Caiden Cleary.

That's pretty much the system I have described in posts last night.
The AFL doesnt actually care about skill level. Just the $$$ coming in.

Thin talent = more value on top picks and also emphasises development at a club rather than just jagging a few stars that carry a team.

A real tough question: Is the average AFL talent base higher now than say in 1999, 2000, 2010, 2020?

Sure we hold the whip hand and can just retain him.

But that was my point.He is likely worth more to us than what a team would likely offer.

A single top 10 pick say the Hawks is around the mark. Maybe a fringe player or pick upgrade added. But not a top 10 pick, PLUS a player PLUS F2nd.

Good young mids go for top 10 picks plus a 2nd.

Agree with you, although we are right at peak valuation of KPD across the league (rucks were a few years back, small fwds are around peak also). Not 1st, 2nd and a player - but 1st and a role player or a late 2nd is plausible in current market conditions.

The issue we have is who becomes our intercept marker? We currently have 2x, gov will retire soonish (2, max 3 years you would think) and none of our understudies seem natural interceptors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry if this is already discussed, but what are you folks generally expecting to pay for Busslinger in a trade (if it happens)?

He was pick 13 after a shoulder injury, which we have rehabbed and put 2 years development into, and is showing great signs in the VFL now.

FWIW I hope we keep him, fills a need and is looking great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if this is already discussed, but what are you folks generally expecting to pay for Busslinger in a trade (if it happens)?

He was pick 13 after a shoulder injury, which we have rehabbed and put 2 years development into, and is showing great signs in the VFL now.

A F2 is what I would think we would offer.

Which is maybe mid 20s after FS and Northern Academy picks. Really hope we'd hold him for that. He's exactly the player we need on our list.
You should try to hold on to him.
But it's hard to expect that an opposition club would pay anything more for him in the circumstances (certainly not a late first round pick IMO).
To be clear, if it is our future 2nd rounder that is likely to be in the top couple of picks of the 2nd round.

I expect us to offer a F2 but wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up our 2R which I think would annoy both clubs suggesting that it’s fair. It certainly won’t be a 1R as some seem to think unless his output changes dramatically.

I think North’s plan will be Smillie at 1, then whatever it takes to trade in and get Trainor at 5-8 on current projections. Will probably cost their 2R and F1.
Sounds like a perfect alignment of what the Suns will be chasing. I would have thought a straight swap of Norf F1 for the lowest of the Suns or Dogs (no change back as Norf could well start to rise off the bottom). That pick from the Sun's will be around the 7 to 10 mark which may not be enough if Trainor finishes well in the champs. Hence if Norf throw in their R2, they may well get to improve a couple of picks (Saints may well accept a push back of 2 spots to get pick 20). The draft looks pretty damn even from 3 to 10 so it will be interesting how it lands.

Given there's a few west Aussies looking the goods for next year is it wise to be trading away next years picks?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

2nd round onwards for young players (I wanted to write proven players, but not yet in this case) - yeah it is good business.

We can always trade back in to the 20-30 range, picks become available

And we need talent. Getting it earlier (especially with a couple of years of development) is significant for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are you basing that on? We easily have the ability to out bid them salary wise and if he decided to leave this year or next we more than likely have the better trade currency as well.
How much can we actually pay without screwing over our own cap long term? There is talk Freo can offer 1.5mil+ for 5+ years or something, considering he has links with a few Freo players as well hes definitely more likely to go there.
Freo is a young team coming into their premiership window too, no doubt itd be attractive for him

Given there's a few west Aussies looking the goods for next year is it wise to be trading away next years picks?

Well we don't have a third round pick this year, so if you give up our second rounder this year, then we only have a live first and a fourth round pick this draft, thats inadequate IMO given that we are in a rebuild.

Realistically short of a player swap, IMO, you aren't going to get Busslinger for less than a second round pick, be that this years or next years second.

Ask yourself: Is a KPD high on our list of draft requirements, if so, then who and when do you have in mind that we should address this list need, if we don't try and get Busslinger this trade period.

Just my opinion, BUT I think he would be a great pick up from both an age and position of need standpoint.

I am comfortable offering a F2 for him, if we are after several players from WA next year we can always trade our future picks the following year for draft capital to use that draft.

Would I prefer we offload a Rotham type to help get The Gunslinger, hell yeah, but thats unlikely to be accepted by the Doggies.

I think if you want to keep him you’re going to need to start giving him games.

If he’s still behind Jones, Keath, Khamis and O’Donnell at the end of the year he’s unlikely to want to stick around.

Well we don't have a third round pick this year, so if you give up our second rounder this year, then we only have a live first and a fourth round pick this draft, thats inadequate IMO given that we are in a rebuild.

Realistically short of a player swap, IMO, you aren't going to get Busslinger for less than a second round pick, be that this years or next years second.

Ask yourself: Is a KPD high on our list of draft requirements, if so, then who and when do you have in mind that we should address this list need, if we don't try and get Busslinger this trade period.

Just my opinion, BUT I think he would be a great pick up from both an age and position of need standpoint.

I am comfortable offering a F2 for him, if we are after several players from WA next year we can always trade our future picks the following year for draft capital to use that draft.

Would I prefer we offload a Rotham type to help get The Gunslinger, hell yeah, but thats unlikely to be accepted by the Doggies.
Yeah can't see rotham being too high on anyone's shopping list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back