List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s two priority picks at the end of the first round this year.

Not suggesting WC will go backwards next season, but you’re currently 16th, so there is chance to drop one or two spots.
I have no idea about next years draft pool.
There’s also a chance that a St Kilda or Adelaide implode or the arse finally falls out of Geelong and we rise. Who knows how many 1R FA compo picks there will be next year. Bird in the hand worth two in the bush.

The one comment you could make is that the WA pool next year projects stronger than this year. That’s still unlikely to move the dial in the R2 vs F2 discussion.

How much can we actually pay without screwing over our own cap long term? There is talk Freo can offer 1.5mil+ for 5+ years or something, considering he has links with a few Freo players as well hes definitely more likely to go there.
Freo is a young team coming into their premiership window too, no doubt itd be attractive for him
Considering we probably have the most cap space in the competition over the next few years and that we don't tie automatic increases in our contracts to the salary cap increases then we should have no problem whatsoever fitting him into our cap, we could also heavily front end it as well which neither Sydney nor freo could get close to.

Players have links with players at all sorts of clubs, rarely would that play anything more than a minor part in what is a business decision, not sure playing beside Jeremy Sharp is enough to pass over a million dollars.

Freo are just as flakey as ever and with a tough run home might miss finals for the 2nd year in a row to make it 8 of the last 9 seasons with no finals. They may be ahead of us in their rebuild, and they should be given how little finals they have played in the last decade, but until they can prove they can consistently challenge then you're just hoping for the best and praying that they can turn around 30 years of failure.

As far as I'm concerned, if Warner does decide to come home and we let him slip through our fingers then it will be a giant **** up by the club when you consider fremantle aren't a top 4 team. If we can't make a successful sales pitch to an elite mid like him given we have a lot more money on and off the field to spend, we are the biggest club in the country and will be playing in front of close to 60k fans every week in a couple of years, he will be leading an elite young midfield group for years alongside Harley, then we have dropped the ball big time.

Find out whatever freo is offering and chuck an extra year or 2 on top with an extra couple hundred grand, and front end the first year to put it out of their reach. If we want to get back in contention and if we want Harley to stick around then we need to start putting the pieces in place to make that happen and given we have more money and draft capital to spend than we ever have then we need to start swinging our dicks around and acting like it.

My take on it all.

Yeo - re-signed
Barrass - Eagle for life

Retire : Gaff - Cripps
Delist : Luke Edwards - Rotham - Trew -Baker

Witherden, Brockman and Sheed to survive but should only be offered 1 year contracts.

Maric and Culley to be upgraded to the main list.

Academy pick - Malakai Champion.

Don't see why everyone thinks we should trade players to the club just because they're from WA, We aren't Freo. If a player wants to come home and nominates us we do our best to get them.

Freo will get Warner if he wants to return home, They have the draft currency and cap space required.
Hope we don't try to get Baker. Richmond would be asking for a high draft pick, we wouldn't want to give one up. Cost would be higher than 900k. Not an unrestricted free Agent.

Would prefer UFA Perryman from GWS if Flynn can get in his ear but once again doubt we will get him. Would also throw an offer for Gold Coasts Pick 8 and Ainsworth for next years 2nd Rounder but Gold Coast are supposedly interested in Daniel Rioli so can see that being used on him. Think Will Brodie from Freo is a better option than Trew if we have injuries and think we could get him as a DFA.

We have picks 3, 23, and 59

Considering we probably have the most cap space in the competition over the next few years and that we don't tie automatic increases in our contracts to the salary cap increases then we should have no problem whatsoever fitting him into our cap, we could also heavily front end it as well which neither Sydney nor freo could get close to.
How much can we offer without being stupid about it? I dont want us to go offer 2mil a season to Warner, 1.5mil is close to right, but if Freo offer similar to us then we are not more attractive in that context
Players have links with players at all sorts of clubs, rarely would that play anything more than a minor part in what is a business decision, not sure playing beside Jeremy Sharp is enough to pass over a million dollars.
Its not just Sharp
Freo are just as flakey as ever and with a tough run home might miss finals for the 2nd year in a row to make it 8 of the last 9 seasons with no finals. They may be ahead of us in their rebuild, and they should be given how little finals they have played in the last decade, but until they can prove they can consistently challenge then you're just hoping for the best and praying that they can turn around 30 years of failure.
They clearly have a good young list, anybody disputing that is blind. They have been playing like a top 6 side this year, while their best players are nearly all still under 25, with none over 30. One of the youngest clubs around.
If a player was looking to come to WA then Freo would have to be the more attractive club if they want success in the near future.
Past history doesnt mean anything, they have a completely different list now, different coach, etc
As far as I'm concerned, if Warner does decide to come home and we let him slip through our fingers then it will be a giant **** up by the club when you consider fremantle aren't a top 4 team. If we can't make a successful sales pitch to an elite mid like him given we have a lot more money on and off the field to spend, we are the biggest club in the country and will be playing in front of close to 60k fans every week in a couple of years, he will be leading an elite young midfield group for years alongside Harley, then we have dropped the ball big time.
Disagree, if he slips past us then it is what it is. It would be a huge win if we got him though. Freo are getting pretty good crowds these days to the point where Optus isnt that far off being filled. Give them a couple more years in the 8 with some success and theyll be averaging 50k+, only a few thousand below us if we turn things around.
Does a couple thousand people in the crowd make a difference? I dont think it does
Find out whatever freo is offering and chuck an extra year or 2 on top with an extra couple hundred grand, and front end the first year to put it out of their reach. If we want to get back in contention and if we want Harley to stick around then we need to start putting the pieces in place to make that happen and given we have more money and draft capital to spend than we ever have then we need to start swinging our dicks around and acting like it.
a couple hundred k on a 10mil+ contract is pretty irrelevant, he will look where he can enjoy his footy and have success. Warner is the same age as most of Freos young guns, we are still building and are unlikely to be any chance of playing finals for at least a couple of years still.

Idk why im defending Freo, but they would be way ahead as an attractive club for a young star coming home. Thats just where we are at right now

I personally feel that in terms of the possible targets for us this year/next year, the priority is as follows:

1. Chad Warner
23-years-old turning 24, if we snare him he becomes the senior guiding midfielder for Reid, Ginbey, Hewitt which is hugely important as Yeo and Kelly come to the end of their careers. If we're lucky enough to secure him, that's the midfield sorted going into the next decade when you throw in another top 3 pick this year. From a list point of view that allows us to focus on replenishing the backline stocks (forward-line is suddenly looking more than adequate compared to other currently powerful clubs - See Collingwood FC) Yes, while Freo presents a more attractive short-term, albeit not by as huge amount as some believe as I feel their forward-line remains a colossal issue, I can't see them being able to outbid us in a straight up auction if it comes down to cash. They have 3-million dollars tied up in Darcy and Jackson, throw in Serong, Brayshaw, Pearce, and Fyfe and they can't be absolutely swimming in free money. The danger is them offering 2-3x first round picks at the end of this year, if he waits until end of next year, we're in the box seat. If it costs us the same salary as Freo is offering and a future 1st rounder etc. it would likely be worth it if need be. If we let Freo have him, it might be at the cost of them getting their first premiership but at the end of the day it would be about time if they ever managed it and we have ourselves to focus on.

2. Jedd Busslinger
Although he's untried in the AFL, the potential for him to come into his own in the next few years and replace one of our two absolute stalwarts is clearly there. With some luck, he won't cost an arm and a leg either which is sadly what will likely happen when Curtin hopefully comes home.

3. Dan Curtin
See above but probably not for a year or two and with greater cost

4. Tim English
The very definition of would be nice for the right price.

5. Liam Baker
Yeah sure if they'll take a bag of chips

I'm no doubt forgetting someone. While Mick Malthouse once said in 1992: "The Ox is slow but the Earth is patient", the change can come very very quickly if things align. Our list at the moment is looking much friendlier than I recall in 2010 at least from a midfield and forward-line point of view. The rest will be up to injuries/fitness and the coaching staff getting the game plan attuned with the players. The rest will be history.

I think Freos side is overrated.
Serong is tough and hard but a shit kick and struggles with set shots over 35m.
Brayshaw is a goer but disposal is iffy.
Young is a beautiful kick but soft.
I would have all of them but they are No2 or No3 mids.Jackson is their NN.Papers over the cracks.
Good backline but Ryan is being sorted out.
Yo and Reid are way ahead and Hewett will probably be better as well.
They are ahead of us because the difference between their best players and worst is not as wide as ours.

I personally feel that in terms of the possible targets for us this year/next year, the priority is as follows:

1. Chad Warner
23-years-old turning 24, if we snare him he becomes the senior guiding midfielder for Reid, Ginbey, Hewitt which is hugely important as Yeo and Kelly come to the end of their careers. If we're lucky enough to secure him, that's the midfield sorted going into the next decade when you throw in another top 3 pick this year. From a list point of view that allows us to focus on replenishing the backline stocks (forward-line is suddenly looking more than adequate compared to other currently powerful clubs - See Collingwood FC) Yes, while Freo presents a more attractive short-term, albeit not by as huge amount as some believe as I feel their forward-line remains a colossal issue, I can't see them being able to outbid us in a straight up auction if it comes down to cash. They have 3-million dollars tied up in Darcy and Jackson, throw in Serong, Brayshaw, Pearce, and Fyfe and they can't be absolutely swimming in free money. The danger is them offering 2-3x first round picks at the end of this year, if he waits until end of next year, we're in the box seat. If it costs us the same salary as Freo is offering and a future 1st rounder etc. it would likely be worth it if need be. If we let Freo have him, it might be at the cost of them getting their first premiership but at the end of the day it would be about time if they ever managed it and we have ourselves to focus on.

2. Jedd Busslinger
Although he's untried in the AFL, the potential for him to come into his own in the next few years and replace one of our two absolute stalwarts is clearly there. With some luck, he won't cost an arm and a leg either which is sadly what will likely happen when Curtin hopefully comes home.

3. Dan Curtin
See above but probably not for a year or two and with greater cost

4. Tim English
The very definition of would be nice for the right price.

5. Liam Baker
Yeah sure if they'll take a bag of chips

I'm no doubt forgetting someone. While Mick Malthouse once said in 1992: "The Ox is slow but the Earth is patient", the change can come very very quickly if things align. Our list at the moment is looking much friendlier than I recall in 2010 at least from a midfield and forward-line point of view. The rest will be up to injuries/fitness and the coaching staff getting the game plan attuned with the players. The rest will be history.
1- Warner (What a combo for 10+ years, Warner and Harley. Have a feeling he likes the attention so Freo woudl suit as no one out shines Harley for that)

2- Bolton- see above just Warner a better fulltime mid. Trade Price would be huge.

3-Sheldrick (In need a of a linking mid and would be plug and play, should come cheaper as Swans try ti create space)

4- Baker (would add so much but have a feeling he’s going ti Freo if they swing and miss this years home runs Bolton/Warner/McDonald)

5- Buss (ready to go but I don’t mind some of our younger key backs)

Curtin (would cost too much for an unknown still)

Even though English is a free agent but the concussion payout worry and I think Flynn can be a solid tap and around the ground ruckman and half the price.

I think Freos side is overrated.
Serong is tough and hard but a shit kick and struggles with set shots over 35m.
Brayshaw is a goer but disposal is iffy.
Young is a beautiful kick but soft.
I would have all of them but they are No2 or No3 mids.Jackson is their NN.Papers over the cracks.
Good backline but Ryan is being sorted out.
Yo and Reid are way ahead and Hewett will probably be better as well.
They are ahead of us because the difference between their best players and worst is not as wide as ours.
Like the list they have built. If they can get one of Bolton or Warner it would be huge.

I think their draft hand is over hyped this year. Pick 3 over three picks after 15 for mine.

Just finished watching WA u18 v SA.

Really like the look of Urquhart as a midfielder. Able to win clearances, has pace, competes well in the air, tough and has a big kick. One report on the game mentioned a comparison with Warner. Think he definitely outshone Bo Allen in this game although Allen was also good.

This year might be one for splitting the top pick. Uquhart may be a first rounder but not top five. Split for him and Travaglia?

A number of other WA players also showed a fair bit - Hayes, Curtin, Gerreyn, Rohr, Banfield, Davis, Kelly. Champion was pretty quiet although he had a few classy touches. There will definitely be more than two drafted from WA.

Really like the look of Urquhart as a midfielder. Able to win clearances, has pace, competes well in the air, tough and has a big kick. One report on the game mentioned a comparison with Warner. Think he definitely outshone Bo Allen in this game although Allen was also good.

This year might be one for splitting the top pick. Uquhart may be a first rounder but not top five. Split for him and Travaglia?
Surely both would have to jump up the rankings for this to be a play, either that or we look for more than just those two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A number of other WA players also showed a fair bit - Hayes, Curtin, Gerreyn, Rohr, Banfield, Davis, Kelly. Champion was pretty quiet although he had a few classy touches. There will definitely be more than two drafted from WA.

Surely both would have to jump up the rankings for this to be a play, either that or we look for more than just those two
I’ve got Allan pick 25-30 and Urquhart slightly after. There’s a few very appealing players in that range for us. If we split I think TT and one of Lalor/Gross/Reid/Hotton is the realistic outcome.

You’re also assessing that draft 12 months ahead of when you’re making your decision which makes your assessment far less accurate. I refer you both to the curious case of Ashton Moir. Pick 2 to pick 29 in 12 months.
*Ashton Moir was never in the running for pick 2. Mid teens perhaps at 17s.

You have a very good idea based on all the elite junior pathways.
The gap is so large now to having a kick vs playing in the CTL that the genuine draft bolter cant "come from nowhere" or be hidden away.

The top group of 30 players at 17s is pretty reliable in that it contains your top 15 at 18s. Theres always exceptions but its a reliable indicator of the next year.

And the top handful are easier to identify again(especially mids).

If Warner was coming as a FA and no draft picks had to be traded for him then it would be worth overpaying him in terms of contract and money. But he isn't. Trading out of the first two rounds of consecutive drafts and giving him a 5 plus year on contract at $1.5m a year plus is just too much. And if Freo are offering that then we will have to offer more than Freo to get him to choose us. If Freo are willing to give all that up for him then let them have it.

If we miss out then lets not cry about it. We are in the midst of a long term rebuild. There will be other players and potential trades in the future. Maybe representing better value for us than the Warner deal. Lets be patient and keep our powder try for a better deal.

If Warner was coming as a FA and no draft picks had to be traded for him then it would be worth overpaying him in terms of contract and money. But he isn't. Trading out of the first two rounds of consecutive drafts and giving him a 5 plus year on contract at $1.5m a year plus is just too much. And if Freo are offering that then we will have to offer more than Freo to get him to choose us. If Freo are willing to give all that up for him then let them have it.

If we miss out then lets not cry about it. We are in the midst of a long term rebuild. There will be other players and potential trades in the future. Maybe representing better value for us than the Warner deal. Lets be patient and keep our powder try for a better deal.
Yes thats my thoughts, feels like a lot of the Warner hype is a bit of FOMO and wanting that sugar hit.
Definitely not worth us trading out of the first round of 2 drafts, id be a bit hesitant to trade out of a top 3 pick for him next year when hes out of contract too if thats what it ended up being either.

*Ashton Moir was never in the running for pick 2. Mid teens perhaps at 17s.

You have a very good idea based on all the elite junior pathways.
The gap is so large now to having a kick vs playing in the CTL that the genuine draft bolter cant "come from nowhere" or be hidden away.

The top group of 30 players at 17s is pretty reliable in that it contains your top 15 at 18s. Theres always exceptions but its a reliable indicator of the next year.

And the top handful are easier to identify again(especially mids).
“Among the most highly touted bottom-agers last year was Glenelg’s Ashton Moir, who booted 30 goals in 10 SANFL Under 18 games and broke through in state colours with a four-goal haul against Western Australia. Such performances had him pegged as every bit the top pick contender, playing in the mould of Sydney’s Isaac Heeney.”

He most certainly was being discussed at pick 2. I agree much harder to get bolters with the resources available for talent identification now as opposed to getting James Hird at pick 79 but it does happen.

Travaglia, Hotton and Jack Whitlock weren’t even in the academy squad 2 months ago, now all three are being discussed in the 8-15 range which would be the very definition of a bolter. Some kids develop late, others peak early and gains after that are minimal. Pretty much every year I’ve heard “next year’s draft is much better” but it doesn’t always turn out that way.

“Among the most highly touted bottom-agers last year was Glenelg’s Ashton Moir, who booted 30 goals in 10 SANFL Under 18 games and broke through in state colours with a four-goal haul against Western Australia. Such performances had him pegged as every bit the top pick contender, playing in the mould of Sydney’s Isaac Heeney.”

He most certainly was being discussed at pick 2. I agree much harder to get bolters with the resources available for talent identification now as opposed to getting James Hird at pick 79 but it does happen.

Travaglia, Hotton and Jack Whitlock weren’t even in the academy squad 2 months ago, now all three are being discussed in the 8-15 range which would be the very definition of a bolter. Some kids develop late, others peak early and gains after that are minimal. Pretty much every year I’ve heard “next year’s draft is much better” but it doesn’t always turn out that way.

A bit of sauce on top. There are about 50 top 10 locks every year😂.
Do you remember when Will Brodie was the #1 standout all year until "sliding unexpectedly". Or Tyler Sonsie.

In reality they just don't perform that strongly.

The academy squad is formed from your previous years work(obviously) so there's always a couple who show up and dominate and get added. And conversely some who peter out and go undrafted.

But they for sure aren't unknowns to recruiters. Just haven't been raised to the public through word of mouth and the media etc.

My take on it all.

Yeo - re-signed
Barrass - Eagle for life

Retire : Gaff - Cripps
Delist : Luke Edwards - Rotham - Trew -Baker

Witherden, Brockman and Sheed to survive but should only be offered 1 year contracts.

Maric and Culley to be upgraded to the main list.

Academy pick - Malakai Champion.

Don't see why everyone thinks we should trade players to the club just because they're from WA, We aren't Freo. If a player wants to come home and nominates us we do our best to get them.

Freo will get Warner if he wants to return home, They have the draft currency and cap space required.
Hope we don't try to get Baker. Richmond would be asking for a high draft pick, we wouldn't want to give one up. Cost would be higher than 900k. Not an unrestricted free Agent.

Would prefer UFA Perryman from GWS if Flynn can get in his ear but once again doubt we will get him. Would also throw an offer for Gold Coasts Pick 8 and Ainsworth for next years 2nd Rounder but Gold Coast are supposedly interested in Daniel Rioli so can see that being used on him. Think Will Brodie from Freo is a better option than Trew if we have injuries and think we could get him as a DFA.

We have picks 3, 23, and 59

Freo may have cap space but picks in the teens next year will cut it?

Eagles have more cap space to get his interest.

Eagles will hold a top 10 pick. Likely top 5.

Media seem to forget about that.

Just need to do well this draft and trade period and bring in another 3 or 4 promising kids under 23 and keep building from beneath and have a well structured plan.

Freo may have cap space but picks in the teens next year will cut it?

Eagles have more cap space to get his interest.

Eagles will hold a top 10 pick. Likely top 5.

Media seem to forget about that.

Just need to do well this draft and trade period and bring in another 3 or 4 promising kids under 23 and keep building from beneath and have a well structured plan.
Dockers have 3 top 20 picks we have one, we need at least three in the top 25, I reckon.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back