List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we traded 7 and 8 for pick 2 I'd cartwheel all the way to Subi.
There's a visual...
Happy Beach GIF by Cake FX

The win/loss is irrelevant because that was the gauge once upon a time which benefited us well in 2001 and is now redundant.

North exhausted every option under the sun to make their club better and still got nowhere I assume that's why the afl were accomodating. You're asking a panel to give us a free hit at the draft because we messed up key areas of our department when we can't even get a honest home and away fixture, I just can't see it happening

We cant get an honest home and away fixture?

What has that got to do with a priority pick?

North gutted their list and employed green coaches. They also drafted midfielder after midfielder. And didnt split picks.

The priority pick should be based on our 2nd round picks and others being diluted giving top 4 sides priority access to father sons and academy access.

You seem to totally ignore this fact. The AFL system provides priority access AND a discount for players drafted to finalists and grand finalists. And teams like us on the bottom get nothing except our draft hand diluted. How is this not relevant to the discussion? Its the #1 point we should be arguing.

We dont want picks we havent earned. We want the value of the picks reinstated that we have been forced to give up and diluted when the AFL gives finalists a leg up to increase TV ratings. THAT is the argument and only one needed.

Last edited:

We cant get an honest home and away fixture?

What has that got to do with a priority pick?

North gutted their list and employed green coaches. They also drafted midfielder after midfielder. And didnt split picks.

The priority pick should be based on our 2nd round picks and others being diluted giving top 4 sides priority access to father sons and academy access.

You seem to totally ignore this fact. The AFL system provides priority access AND a discount for players drafted to finalists and grand finalists. And teams like us on the bottom get nothing except our draft hand diluted. How is this not relevant to the discussion? Its the #1 point we should be arguing. We dont want picks we havent earned. We want the value of the picks reinstated that we have been forced to give up and diluted when the AFL gives finalists a leg up to increase TV ratings. THAT is the argument and only one needed.
Agree with a how many fronts Norf screwed themselves but simply looking at 2 drafts of 2020 and 2021, that was significant.

2020 - taking at 3 Will Phillips instead of a KPF in Logan was really a bad choice when they were so in need for a KPF

2021 - For pick 1, Crows offered them pick 4 plus Crows F1 and Demons F1 for Pick 1 and F2
- at 4 they could have got one of Rachele (who went at 4), Ward or Amiss
- in 2022 at 4 they could have got Bailey Humphries (Crows sold that pick to the Suns)
- in 2022 at 15 Melbourne took Jefferson (jury still out) or Weddle (a better defensive option which was a position of need)

- the Norf F2 ended up being pick 22 which they wasted on the Coleman-Jones trade and Gruzewski was taken at 22 by GWS

Norf's rhetoric at the time was they they had never had pick 1 and wanted to celebrate it. Dumb and dumber. Horne Francis was good but in my mind, not a generational talent.

So to recap
What Norf got - Phillips, Horne Francis, Coleman-Jones
What Norf could have got - McDonald, Rachelle, Humphries and Weddle

The old quote from Draft Day comes to mind. "Each year someone walks away from th edraft looking like a donkey. Don't make it you." I add on - don't make it you 3 years in a row.

He's the year after so 2025 draft, but looking like a top 5.

He plays quite similar to Banfield who is a Father son for us in the same draft.
Agree on the comparison. Hopefully Charlie Banfield will not cost us a first rounder. He is all class and will make a winger which hopefully we have abandoned the gimp wing role and use it as an attacking option (Charlie plays more in the Robbie Flower playing style - not saying he will be that good).

There will be loads of hype about Duursma No. 4 and like Will last year, I suspect he will go top 5 (that said a lot of water to go under the bridge).

The win/loss is irrelevant because that was the gauge once upon a time which benefited us well in 2001 and is now redundant.

North exhausted every option under the sun to make their club better and still got nowhere I assume that's why the afl were accomodating. You're asking a panel to give us a free hit at the draft because we messed up key areas of our department when we can't even get a honest home and away fixture, I just can't see it happening
Did they? Getting rid of all their experience, loading up on kids, but forgetting talls is kinda on them.

I think most people thought the first assistants was the more accurate one. Get ready to go player/s in a trade, while still keeping their early picks to help with the now and future. The 2nd one everyone thought was way too much and when they just went to the draft with those picks, even more so because those players won’t have influence for them until they are already going well.

Time will tell I guess.

I do think it’s this year or never, if the 2 NGAs abs Charlie Banfield turn into first and 2nd round picks they will say that’s enough assistances I still think it’s very unlikely to get any help
The first one I think wasn't quite enough. Something in the middle is best imo.

Maybe a late first and a late 2nd that have to be traded.
Probably more likely to be what North got if anything though, with the NGA stuff changing

Did they? Getting rid of all their experience, loading up on kids, but forgetting talls is kinda on them.
You can add senior coaches to that list.Point being made is they tried a multitude of things and got nowhere. We have only really replaced ceo and coach in the last week. From a neutral person's pov that's gonna come across as arrogant as opposed to desperate which is what a priority pick in this case is for. We don't even really know if our squad is as bad as our current ladder position is because we've only had selection integrity for 1 week

Isnt our seconder (pick 23 or so) just about perfect for Baker? What am I missing? He is a good little player but he is a short midfielder with average disposal that wants to come home. Just say its pick 23 or PSD. If that means Tigers turn to Freo then I dont really care in the slightest about missing out on him, nor should the club.

You can add senior coaches to that list.Point being made is they tried a multitude of things and got nowhere. We have only really replaced ceo and coach in the last week. From a neutral person's pov that's gonna come across as arrogant as opposed to desperate which is what a priority pick in this case is for. We don't even really know if our squad is as bad as our current ladder position is because we've only had selection integrity for 1 week
North did dumb things, made their situation worse, then asked for multiple bailouts. We did less dumb things (trying to extend our premiership window), got smashed by injury and COVID to exacerbate the situation, and ended up in a similar position. I think that makes the case more for us getting help than them, because it's not rewarding stupidity. Hell, they took their support and did more dumb things (kept targeting midfielders instead of rounding out their list, made poor trading decisions, all while affecting the other clubs at draft time, leading to us getting pick 1 and 30 after finishing last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt our seconder (pick 23 or so) just about perfect for Baker? What am I missing? He is a good little player but he is a short midfielder with average disposal that wants to come home. Just say its pick 23 or PSD. If that means Tigers turn to Freo then I dont really care in the slightest about missing out on him, nor should the club.
We don't want to waste a decent pick on an old average player though. It would mean the only decent pick we have is pick 2 or 3 or whatever it ends up being.

Agree on the comparison. Hopefully Charlie Banfield will not cost us a first rounder. He is all class and will make a winger which hopefully we have abandoned the gimp wing role and use it as an attacking option (Charlie plays more in the Robbie Flower playing style - not saying he will be that good).

There will be loads of hype about Duursma No. 4 and like Will last year, I suspect he will go top 5 (that said a lot of water to go under the bridge).
Hopefully we consider him a draft target to be with his brother in law!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m keen to start getting players into positions that they’ll play in our next premiership team.

I’d like to progress towards something like the following

Hough Hedwards McVee
Maric Bazzo Travaglia
Long Ginbey/Hall
Lalor AReid Hutchinson
Jwill Allen Berry
Knobel Hreid Hewett

This would be done by using ATGs 3-way trade with Richmond and freo to land picks 7 (travaglia) and 8 (labor) and I’d ask the question of including a F2 for Knobel which would help their pursuit of Warner.

Shoe horning all our KPFs in the side is difficult and snake is at peak value with JWill and ARcher looking promising. I’d ask the question of Melbourne snake plus our F3 for McVee and their first, say 11, if it’s going to be the piece of the puzzle that puts them back into GF contention. The first round pick could also alternatively be sourced from a Barrass trade but that would mean Duggan in the back pocket.

With this pick i think my first preference is probably Lindsay to take the other wing however I’d be more than happy taking Berry here as while we have small forwards I don’t feel we’ve got that next mercurial goal pig. chesser, Burgiel or Johnston can fight it out for the remaining wing spot be it gimp or not.

Assuming we take Berry with that pick we could then look to take Hamish Davis for that other wing with our 2R or bank some KPD depth in the form of o’farrel or mraz.

We’ll likely have a high pick in 2025 and can split again if the draft is deep or round out our midfield with another elite top 3-5 midfielder we’re probably still short that elite outside ball pig player similar to a mckercher.

I’m not 100% sure where longs best position will end up being but I’m really bullish about Hutchinson being able to replace Cripps as a pressure forward that can be a bit more impactful up the ground as well and I’d love to see Maric using his laser kicking from defence.

I’m keen to start getting players into positions that they’ll play in our next premiership team.

I’d like to progress towards something like the following

Hough Hedwards McVee
Maric Bazzo Travaglia
Long Ginbey/Hall
Lalor AReid Hutchinson
Jwill Allen Berry
Knobel Hreid Hewett

This would be done by using ATGs 3-way trade with Richmond and freo to land picks 7 (travaglia) and 8 (labor) and I’d ask the question of including a F2 for Knobel which would help their pursuit of Warner.

Shoe horning all our KPFs in the side is difficult and snake is at peak value with JWill and ARcher looking promising. I’d ask the question of Melbourne snake plus our F3 for McVee and their first, say 11, if it’s going to be the piece of the puzzle that puts them back into GF contention. The first round pick could also alternatively be sourced from a Barrass trade but that would mean Duggan in the back pocket.

With this pick i think my first preference is probably Lindsay to take the other wing however I’d be more than happy taking Berry here as while we have small forwards I don’t feel we’ve got that next mercurial goal pig. chesser, Burgiel or Johnston can fight it out for the remaining wing spot be it gimp or not.

Assuming we take Berry with that pick we could then look to take Hamish Davis for that other wing with our 2R or bank some KPD depth in the form of o’farrel or mraz.

We’ll likely have a high pick in 2025 and can split again if the draft is deep or round out our midfield with another elite top 3-5 midfielder we’re probably still short that elite outside ball pig player similar to a mckercher.

I’m not 100% sure where longs best position will end up being but I’m really bullish about Hutchinson being able to replace Cripps as a pressure forward that can be a bit more impactful up the ground as well and I’d love to see Maric using his laser kicking from defence.
Like this thinking and line up. I’d 100% take Lindsay over Berry and it’s not even close in terms of our list need. Also remember we almost certainly have Malakai coming this year. Bazzo is likely to end up a 3rd tall rather than a true KPD IMO so Clancy Dennis U18 AA CHB with a late pick would also be a great get if we couldn’t get Mraz or O’Farrell with our 2R. Good post. 👍

Like this thinking and line up. I’d 100% take Lindsay over Berry and it’s not even close in terms of our list need. Also remember we almost certainly have Malakai coming this year. Bazzo is likely to end up a 3rd tall rather than a true KPD IMO so Clancy Dennis U18 AA CHB with a late pick would also be a great get if we couldn’t get Mraz or O’Farrell with our 2R. Good post. 👍
I agree on everything you’ve said here, with regards to Lindsay over berry I meant to write it but only reason I fell back to berry is that I think Lindsay will go before that pick definitely would prefer.

So much talk of who we can bring in and never chat about who we can send OUT.

We're a basket case and have been for some time. Wouldn't mind seeing us actually trade somebody and try to strengthen our draft hand.

Duggan (still no contract as yet), B.Williams, Petrucelle are pretty expendable for mine and could be used to aid our rebuild.

Hell even Darling or Sheed, if the opportunity came up, which i find unlikely. Barass maybe, depending on price.

So much talk of who we can bring in and never chat about who we can send OUT.

We're a basket case and have been for some time. Wouldn't mind seeing us actually trade somebody and try to strengthen our draft hand.

Duggan (still no contract as yet), B.Williams, Petrucelle are pretty expendable for mine and could be used to aid our rebuild.

Hell even Darling or Sheed, if the opportunity came up, which i find unlikely. Barass maybe, depending on price.
Waterman for me. Some players have a PEAK year and then fall down the other side of the bell curve. I believe that's waterman. Selling him at his highest value point could net us a high first rounder or a low first and second rounder.

Our problem is controlling field position, and this is dependant on an elite midfield and a forward line that can hold the territory inside 50. When we do this well, we score. IMO, losing waterman won't change our capacity to to score.

Allen, JW, A reid must be played as a 3 prong unit next year. Darling can play in the Magoos as back up. We still have height in Maric, BW, Hutch, Culley. Smalls we are covered with Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, long, dewar, and Champion.

We needs mids and defenders (rotham, witherden, JJ, cole are done)

We have 3 23 and the 4/5/6th rounders. We need another couple of picks in the teens.

Waterman for me. Some players have a PEAK year and then fall down the other side of the bell curve. I believe that's waterman. Selling him at his highest value point could net us a high first rounder or a low first and second rounder.

Our problem is controlling field position, and this is dependant on an elite midfield and a forward line that can hold the territory inside 50. When we do this well, we score. IMO, losing waterman won't change our capacity to to score.

Allen, JW, A reid must be played as a 3 prong unit next year. Darling can play in the Magoos as back up. We still have height in Maric, BW, Hutch, Culley. Smalls we are covered with Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, long, dewar, and Champion.

We needs mids and defenders (rotham, witherden, JJ, cole are done)

We have 3 23 and the 4/5/6th rounders. We need another couple of picks in the teens.

Make sure his pay is in top 25% so he’s a RFA (which he is according to footy wire) next year, back him in to maintain the output then take the band 1 compo for 2025 draft. By then Archer should be ready to run out a full game.

Gee, Ralph trying hard to push the Baker to WCE for pick 3 split angle because Bo Allen...
Just saw that, he's going hard on it.

Made me think Baker is gone, plus Freo ramped up on him lately with Serong and Brayshaw meeting.

Just have to hope we don't split and use the other pick on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back