List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker would make us a better side next year but he’s not an A grader. He’s a solid utility that can play a few different roles as a small. Hasn’t won an all-Australian jumper or a club F&B.

A first rounder would be overs, an early to mid second probably about right and late second early third not enough.

In no way should we be giving up a late first for Baker with where our list is at and how our draft hand looks. If we receive some assistance then maybe that changes things slightly.

Ralphy again saying Baker wants us, but it’ll come down to whether we split our first.

We better not split a top 3 pick on the premise of getting Liam Baker.
u know we will. we aims 2 please these days.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would rather Garcia over Baker.

Younger , not a runt and fair value .

You just know the Vic media will over value Baker

Best thing for us would be Baker sign 1 more year then leave as a free agent
Yeah, agree completely. I only want Baker if we get him for something of very little value, which we won't.

Baker would make us a better side next year but he’s not an A grader. He’s a solid utility that can play a few different roles as a small. Hasn’t won an all-Australian jumper or a club F&B.

A first rounder would be overs, an early to mid second probably about right and late second early third not enough.

In no way should we be giving up a late first for Baker with where our list is at and how our draft hand looks. If we receive some assistance then maybe that changes things slightly.

To be fair, if you could get baker type players early to mid 2nd round, you would take it each time. Petrucelle was mid 2nd round.

He is about same value as Duggan. So if you feel happy Duggan going for early to mid second, then that’s the value.

He is a solid b grader and we have a lot of c and d graders.

I'm melting. Just cull one of Tim Kelly and Yeo and be done with the facade.

It seems like we are not getting them two on board and healthy at the same time. So just be done with it. Next year is even worse since they are a year later.

It's Shuey 2023 all over again

Poo-wee, that take stinks.

Of our 17 games this season, they have played 12 together, thats 71% of the games this season.

Yeo missed RD9 & RD10, so he has played 88% of the season.
TK missed RD12, RD13 & RD15, so he has played 82% of the season.

Bigger fish to fry than that, mate.

Yep I reckon he's more the Redden/Chick/Stenglein type; an above average player who's a very handy addition if you're contending, but they won't do much to fix a shithouse team. It makes more sense for Freo to pick him up.

To be fair, if you could get baker type players early to mid 2nd round, you would take it each time. Petrucelle was mid 2nd round.

He is about same value as Duggan. So if you feel happy Duggan going for early to mid second, then that’s the value.

Duggan would not get us anything higher than a second round pick if he wanted to leave and a trade was required. As it is he’s into free agency anyway and looks like resigning by most reports.

Duggan is Baker from Wish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been a fan of a U21 (or something) comp. Drafted at 18 like now, play U21 for a couple of years, get a degree or a TAFE diploma or whatever as insurance if they don't make it, then onto the AFL.

Counterargument has always been players like Reid ready to impact at 18 etc. But I'm still a fan of the idea.
AFL is elite footy. No need to cater for adults who aren't up to scratch. Those 3 years really make your core development which would effectively lower the strength of the comp.

You can go to uni/tafe/apprentiship/traineeship at any age these days. Plenty of people take gap years as well or change careers entirely.

Duggan is Baker from Wish.

I think you might have it backwards

And thus proving that 1 x Baker ~= 1 x Duggan

Both top blokes who bring a heap of leadership along with some solid but unspectacular ability.

Earlier in the year there were reports of clubs being into Duggan in a big way before he indicated he wasn't all that interested in leaving, but no-one here would have expected a first rounder for him. In the same way, Richmond fans need to accept that we can be well into Baker but also not interested in parting ways with a first rounder.

Ralphy is as thick as two short planks so I expect he's probably not capable of grasping a concept as complex as this one.

And thus proving that 1 x Baker ~= 1 x Duggan

Both top blokes who bring a heap of leadership along with some solid but unspectacular ability.

Earlier in the year there were reports of clubs being into Duggan in a big way before he indicated he wasn't all that interested in leaving, but no-one here would have expected a first rounder for him. In the same way, Richmond fans need to accept that we can be well into Baker but also not interested in parting ways with a first rounder.

Ralphy is as thick as two short planks so I expect he's probably not capable of grasping a concept as complex as this one.
Duggan > Baker.
What delusion are you all partaking in?

If Baker was on our list now he would be in the JJ basket of an honest toiler who f**** up more often than not.
Paying anything to bring in the deadset definition of an average footballer goes against the whole point of improving the list for the long term.

If we are to get assistance, I think it will be along of the lines of what North got first in 2022.

2 extra list spots and a future (2025) 2nd round and 3rd pick that has to be traded for a player/s.

Hand that straight over for Baker if he wants in. Freo got this for Griffen Logue and Darcy Tucker, The 2nd along with their own 2nd round helped Freo get a possible top 10 pick via Port trade.

If we are to get assistance, I think it will be along of the lines of what North got first in 2022.

2 extra list spots and a future (2025) 2nd round and 3rd pick that has to be traded for a player/s.

Hand that straight over for Baker if he wants in. Freo got this for Griffen Logue and Darcy Tucker, The 2nd along with their own 2nd round helped Freo get a possible top 10 pick via Port trade.
Too late for that. It would have to be the same North got last year.
PP two years in a row shows they got it wrong 2022

Precedent is set and Tassie too close.

Too late for that. It would have to be the same North got last year.
PP two years in a row shows they got it wrong 2022

Precedent is set and Tassie too close.
Too late? We haven’t attempted to get anything before? Precedent would be to get the same as North got first?

I think this will be the best we get this year. (I personally don’t think we will get anything any way but have a better argument the North to get anything with Venables+Collard+Sheppard+18into30 ect)

Too late? We haven’t attempted to get anything before? Precedent would be to get the same as North got first?

I think this will be the best we get this year. (I personally don’t think we will get anything any way but have a better argument the North to get anything with Venables+Collard+Sheppard+18into30 ect)
The AFL doesnt want to be giving a club assistance 2 years in a row, they had a lot of complaints after how they handled North. It wont be the same as what North got, if there is any priority picks theyll want it to be a one and done situation

I'm melting. Just cull one of Tim Kelly and Yeo and be done with the facade.

It seems like we are not getting them two on board and healthy at the same time. So just be done with it. Next year is even worse since they are a year later.

It's Shuey 2023 all over again

Ahem.

The expression (and noted WCE big footy boardism) is "it's Charlotte Dawson all over again".

A few people (Twomey included) suggesting this is a very deep draft. Is it really though? By most accounts the WA and SA teams were poor and don’t have much draftable talent. WA and SA represent a pretty big part of the AFL talent pool. And yet they (WA in particular) were very competitive against the supposedly uber deep VC and VM teams.

All of which is to say I hope we don’t get so intoxicated with this line of thought that we start trading out of next year’s draft.

A few people (Twomey included) suggesting this is a very deep draft. Is it really though? By most accounts the WA and SA teams were poor and don’t have much draftable talent. WA and SA represent a pretty big part of the AFL talent pool. And yet they (WA in particular) were very competitive against the supposedly uber deep VC and VM teams.

All of which is to say I hope we don’t get so intoxicated with this line of thought that we start trading out of next year’s draft.
It’s incredibly deep. There are players I have ranked in the 60s that I’d prefer to give a chance to rather than keep than almost a dozen players on our list. If the club decides to go all in on this draft I’d fully support that. There’s every chance Banfield, Walley and Evans end up making next year largely a points draft for us, except for our F1 if we keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back