List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, it's not Bakers decision.

Do you have a source for that?

I guess this is determined by how much a player wants to move.

But we don't really know how big of a deal this is to Baker - would he stay otherwise?

Clubs usually work together quite well on these ones, despite all the BS about walking through PSD etc etc.

Look at CCJ, who we traded to North after a few promising games. He wanted value for RFC and now it's looking like we fleeced them in hindsight.

How do we get 17 from Freo? I doubt they'd send all of 9 + 10 + 17 for Bolton. I think they'll offer 9 + 17 and then Richmond will (or should) offer to pay a large amount of his salary to secure 9 + 10.

I don't think I'd do your suggested trade underlined. Our list is in worse shape than your's!

Also, as WCE do you even want Graham? As a RFC fan I would be fine if we delisted him. Never want to see him play for us again TBH.

Seems like the club sees value in Graham as a leader to help the kids develop. Zero draft cost so not an issue in the scheme of things.

Tigers chasing FOS and Jagga in the same draft is the only reason they trade down to pick 3. Definately perceived value in the top 4.

Am I the only one that finds it weird that an employee would me more concerned that their previous employer is looked after more than their new one they're going to wok for, especially in AFL?

I'd much rather my new employer kept their higher picks to improve the side faster.

Glad that most of you are able to keep it civil.

Was just a suggestion/conversation.

P23 won't be enough for Baker on it's own. Maybe we overrate him, maybe you underrate him (but want to trade him in)?

As for 9+10 for Bolton, same with Barrass - Bolton is contracted and given our list changes recently (Dusty/Grimes/Pickett retirements, upcoming trades) we can afford to pay salaries in a dump similar to how GCS dumped Bowes.

I expect Bolton + Rioli will get high draft pick returns while we pay significant portions of their wages since we will surely have trouble getting to the minimum EBA threshold with our likely list for 2025.
A good trade means both sides are usually unhappy with the result...

You're not happy with pick 23, and most of us are not happy with pick 23, so that would seem about right then 🤣 .

I hope whoever our incoming coach is agrees with you and we haven't promised too much.
Dont rate.

I'll take anything for him, seriously.

I could understand a rebuilding club with very limited midfield options wanting him for a few years on modest coin at best.

Given that we have better mature options in Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Ross, and better youth/potential options in McAuliffe, Sonsie + 2024 selections, I really don't see any reason to retain him here.

Seems like the club sees value in Graham as a leader to help the kids develop. Zero draft cost so not an issue in the scheme of things.

Tigers chasing FOS and Jagga in the same draft is the only reason they trade down to pick 3. Definately perceived value in the top 4.

Yeah he's apparently a great bloke and leader. Decent kick and tackler. That's about it.

Quite slow off the mark, has never been able to consistently get enough ball etc.

A real plodder who probably peaked in his debut season somewhat.

Am I the only one that finds it weird that an employee would me more concerned that their previous employer is looked after more than their new one they're going to wok for, especially in AFL?

I'd much rather my new employer kept their higher picks to improve the side faster.

I understand where he's coming from, but also he's the one who wants out. I know he's a Baker but he should know he can't have his cake and eat it too.

Assuage guilt about leaving?

I understand where he's coming from, but also he's the one who wants out. I know he's a Baker but he should know he can't have his cake and eat it too.

Welcome to my ignore list.

(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

Talk indicates that Barrass will go to Hawks for P12.

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
No thanks.

Tigers fans and the media are valuing Baker as if he’s contracted and the Eagles are trying to pry him out of the Tigers.

He’s out of contract and wants to move back to WA.

If I was in charge of the Eagles I’d be saying to the Tigers we will offer our F2nd and make sure the Graham compo is band 3 and not band 4.

So pick 22 currently for (Graham) and our F2nd. Alternatively go and find a better deal from Freo or resign a player that doesn’t want to be there anymore.

In no way should the Eagles split pick 3 for Baker or offer the Barrass 1st round pick.
It’s simply not in our best interests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andyy

In relation to Baker, I think you’ll find most posters here see Baker as a nice to have but not a necessity. At 26 he fills a void in our list and will bring some good leadership/training standards with him

But at this stage of our list build where we need to be prioritising the draft and bringing in as much young talent as possible, Baker provides a bit of a conundrum. He’s a good player but it remains to be seen if we are able to get in contention before he retires

The other problem is his true value falls in between the picks we hold (3 and 23) so there’s not an obvious trade.

Personally I hope we keep those picks for this draft and get Baker for our F2. That’s below his value and wouldn’t be well accepted by Richmond supporters but that’s how I hope it plays out albeit we may have to offer up some steak knives for that to happen

As for Graham, there’s little excitement for him here but because he comes for free as a FA there’s an acceptance that he brings a mature body in the right age bracket who will stiffen up the bottom six of our best 22.

Doubt there’ll be much consternation if that deal falls through. Same probably goes for Baker for that matter - there’s a general want for us to maximise our hand at the draft over trading players in

I'm sure Baker feels the same way.

That's why he never mentioned a 1st round pick being needed.

People are reacting to Vic media statements as if they are quoting Baker. They aren't quoting Baker. They are reacting to Vic media click bait articles.

Big difference.

Anyone seen much of Hamish Davis from Claremont?
Seemed to go alright on the weekend and talked up a bit, they were basically saying he won't be playing for Claremont next year.

No thanks.

Tigers fans and the media are valuing Baker as if he’s contracted and the Eagles are trying to pry him out of the Tigers.

He’s out of contract and wants to move back to WA.

If I was in charge of the Eagles I’d be saying to the Tigers we will offer our F2nd and make sure the Graham compo is band 3 and not band 4.

So pick 22 currently for (Graham) and our F2nd. Alternatively go and find a better deal from Freo or resign a player that doesn’t want to be there anymore.

In no way should the Eagles split pick 3 for Baker or offer the Barrass 1st round pick.
It’s simply not in our best interests.

Very good and creative idea re: Graham and ensuring band 3, which given our wooden spoon is essentially band 2. For a bloke that I wouldn't be offering a contract to personally I actually think that's a good outcome for us.

Probably assuming a bottom 4 finish for WCE next year as well, so that's a pick in the low 20's.

RFC could very reasonably package those picks up for something else (Carlton for example may need points for the Camporeale twins).

Good thinking!

Andyy

In relation to Baker, I think you’ll find most posters here see Baker as a nice to have but not a necessity. At 26 he fills a void in our list and will bring some good leadership/training standards with him

But at this stage of our list build where we need to be prioritising the draft and bringing in as much young talent as possible, Baker provides a bit of a conundrum. He’s a good player but it remains to be seen if we are able to get in contention before he retires

The other problem is his true value falls in between the picks we hold (3 and 23) so there’s not an obvious trade.

Personally I hope we keep those picks for this draft and get Baker for our F2. That’s below his value and wouldn’t be well accepted by Richmond supporters but that’s how I hope it plays out albeit we may have to offer up some steak knives for that to happen

As for Graham, there’s little excitement for him here but because he comes for free as a FA there’s an acceptance that he brings a mature body in the right age bracket who will stiffen up the bottom six of our best 22.

Doubt there’ll be much consternation if that deal falls through. Same probably goes for Baker for that matter - there’s a general want for us to maximise our hand at the draft over trading players in

You are correct about his worth. He's not worth a top 15 pick IMO but somewhere in the late teens/early 20's.

I like CountryLad's suggestion of F2 + ensuring Graham FA Compo is R2.

2025 will be the last uncompromised draft before Tas comes in so it's worth having options for next year also, plus we can always package it off to someone else for a higher pick.

Also agree on WCE needing to keep their picks. Obviously P3 would be highly sought after - just wondering if there's any appetite to part with it but I'm not surprised there isn't.

To be honest I don't think players ultimately view their club as 'just an employer'.

They spend a lot of time there and with those people. Club probably feels like extended family.

They're not packing shelves at Woolies!

You are correct about his worth. He's not worth a top 15 pick IMO but somewhere in the late teens/early 20's.

I like CountryLad's suggestion of F2 + ensuring Graham FA Compo is R2.

2025 will be the last uncompromised draft before Tas comes in so it's worth having options for next year also, plus we can always package it off to someone else for a higher pick.

Also agree on WCE needing to keep their picks. Obviously P3 would be highly sought after - just wondering if there's any appetite to part with it but I'm not surprised there isn't.

That’s nice Andy but when Richmond fans are happy with the trade, it tells me he isn’t worth what is suggested when out of contract.

Problem is he isn’t a bull, a goal kicker, big tackler. He is a midget. Bit of everything who suited Richmond game plan.

He has some value for sure but early to mid second at best.

ARCHER!!!

The forgotten Reid and Rawlinson have extended their contracts, post season list is slowly becoming clearer. Not thrilled about Rawlinson but very happy Archer has extended, he was one I was a bit worried about.

Last edited:
On Baker, I know he wants to look after Richmond, but he also wants to come West. He should want whoever he comes to to be the best they can be.

Would be more than happy for us to pass on trading for him and to commit to picking him up in the PSD. If he said he wants to go to WA only Tigers and North would pass on him. If he doesn't want to go that route, and we can't get him for a cheap trade then move on, pass.

Sadly no one seems to want to do that and force the issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back