List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

Talk indicates that Barrass will go to Hawks for P12.

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12

Fair to say most aren't a fan of your proposal Andyy.

(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
I'm glad you prefaced your post by saying you come in peace, otherwise one might think after reading the rest of your post that you came here in search of war.

(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
Are you related to John Ralph by any chance?

You lost most of us when you started Tigers could get 9 and 10 for Bolton

Last edited:

The overrating of Baker by Tigers supporters is comical.

Most WC supporters wouldn't support P23 in a straight swap for him. To then take a 6 pick down grade on our 1st is laughable.

We need the highest ranked youngsters we can get and heaps of them. We dont need a role playing utilitiy who's prime is now in the rearview mirror at the expense of high draft picks.

I think you have us confused with Gold Coast.
It’s frequently reported in media articles that Baker wants fair compensation for Richmond which is then stated as a first round pick.

If Baker actually does think he’s worth a first round pick then I think he’s got an inflated sense of his own worth.

Maybe a bit behind the conversation but it seems like Witherden is trying on that old “the old boss promised me that this would happen” speech you often see in corporate after a boss is moved on.

Really good life advice in general: if you have asked for something but haven’t gotten it in writing from your boss, it can and will be thrown out if your boss is ever questioned about it.

Always get it in writing.

Glad that most of you are able to keep it civil.

Was just a suggestion/conversation.

P23 won't be enough for Baker on it's own. Maybe we overrate him, maybe you underrate him (but want to trade him in)?

As for 9+10 for Bolton, same with Barrass - Bolton is contracted and given our list changes recently (Dusty/Grimes/Pickett retirements, upcoming trades) we can afford to pay salaries in a dump similar to how GCS dumped Bowes.

I expect Bolton + Rioli will get high draft pick returns while we pay significant portions of their wages since we will surely have trouble getting to the minimum EBA threshold with our likely list for 2025.

(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
I too come in peace.

How do Richmond fans feel about Baker + 1 for 3 + 23?

Talk indicates that Graham will go to Eagles via free agency, sending Richmond a band 2/3 compo pick (19).

So would be:
Out - Baker, Graham, 1
In: 3, 19, 23

It’s frequently reported in media articles that Baker wants fair compensation for Richmond which is then stated as a first round pick.

If Baker actually does think he’s worth a first round pick then I think he’s got an inflated sense of his own worth.

I want to leave but I also want my club compensated - it's a nice sentiment Liam, but it's not really your decision to make.

P23 won't be enough for Baker on it's own. Maybe we overrate him, maybe you underrate him (but want to trade him in)?

As for 9+10 for Bolton, same with Barrass - Bolton is contracted and given our list changes recently (Dusty/Grimes/Pickett retirements, upcoming trades) we can afford to pay salaries in a dump similar to how GCS dumped Bowes.

I expect Bolton + Rioli will get high draft pick returns while we pay significant portions of their wages since we will surely have trouble getting to the minimum EBA threshold with our likely list for 2025.
Baker is not worth more than #23 to us in our current rebuild mode.
Reluctant even to offer #23.

Actually you'll find the vast majority in here prefer he goes elsewhere and we keep even pick 23.

(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12

We appreciate the peace however you then dropped a nuclear bomb.

Baker is worth a second rounder, the talk of him being worth a first is very largely Vic media pushed, out of contract and wants to return home, all the telltale signs of unders, not overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swap your Liams for a moment, compare Baker to Duggan, who have similar stats, both have leadership credentials, both premiership players, then ask if you'd give up the same for Liam Duggan.

Both decent players, neither worth first rounders, imo.

2 years for witherden is crazy . He was one of Simpson's boys .

Recon he should be delisted personally too slow to defend and not a good enough kick too carry
I don't think his kicking is that bad, actually pretty good.
His decision making and kicking options he chooses on the other hand.........

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12

Your on the right track.

Say Tigers end up with picks 1, 6,9, 10 and 17.

Want pick 3 for Jagga or FOS.

Pick 3 and F2nd

For pick 6, 9 and Baker. Add a shuffle of other picks or a player like a Culley. Or we throw in a player like Rotham so the Graham FA compo isn't reduced.

That works.

I too come in peace.

How do Richmond fans feel about Baker + 1 for 3 + 23?

Talk indicates that Graham will go to Eagles via free agency, sending Richmond a band 2/3 compo pick (19).

So would be:
Out - Baker, Graham, 1
In: 3, 19, 23

Not good, as that would effectively place Baker's worth at about P69 via pure point values.

And if we get P19 for Graham I would teleport myself to the bank so fast.

It was also frequently stated in articles that we weren't picking Harley and he didnt want to leave Victoria. Point being, dont put any weight on what those self serving clowns at SEN, FOX and the HS have to say.
I just hope we dont get him and stick to the rebuild through high draft picks and bargain trades this year with a view to getting a high quality, young recruit next year eg Warner.

Baker is not worth more than #23 to us in our current rebuild mode.
Reluctant even to offer #23.

Maybe this is where the supporter sentiment is useful.

You see I would much rather keep Baker than Bolton. Baker is a good footballer and a great leader. Bolton is a great footballer and not a leader's a-hole.

The Vic media are stating a 1st rounder. Not Baker.

Baker said a late 2nd wouldn't cut it. A late 2nd is a pick 30 plus that ends up 40 plus.

Your on the right track.

Say Tigers end up with picks 1, 6,9, 10 and 17.

Want pick 3 for Jagga or FOS.

Pick 3 and F2nd

For pick 6, 9 and Baker. Add a shuffle of other picks or a player like a Culley. Or we throw in a player like Rotham so the Graham FA compo isn't reduced.

That works.

How do we get 17 from Freo? I doubt they'd send all of 9 + 10 + 17 for Bolton. I think they'll offer 9 + 17 and then Richmond will (or should) offer to pay a large amount of his salary to secure 9 + 10.

I don't think I'd do your suggested trade underlined. Our list is in worse shape than your's!

Also, as WCE do you even want Graham? As a RFC fan I would be fine if we delisted him. Never want to see him play for us again TBH.

Maybe a bit behind the conversation but it seems like Witherden is trying on that old “the old boss promised me that this would happen” speech you often see in corporate after a boss is moved on.

Really good life advice in general: if you have asked for something but haven’t gotten it in writing from your boss, it can and will be thrown out if your boss is ever questioned about it.

Always get it in writing.
Thanks Tom.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back