List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Was interested in the stats of our potential traded in players compared to some of our current midfielders. When I was doing the stats I found out that Peatling was a sub for 6 of his games, so removed those games to work out his averages.

As you can see, Peatling's stats are remarkably similar to Reid's.

View attachment 2098932
Peatling is clearly the mid we should be targeting. Would be a great acquisition.

Pick 40 you recon is in play Pants??

I would expect any return would be marginal.

If he wants to go I'd say he would go with our blessings and a years worth of salary off the books.

I would expect any return would be marginal.

If he wants to go I'd say he would go with our blessings and a years worth of salary off the books.
Not saying it doesn’t happen but for the life of me I can’t understand this logic from WCE with our cavernous salary cap position. At the very least a great trainer, mentor and depth as well as straightening up the Beagles and sitting on 298 games.

Not saying it doesn’t happen but for the life of me I can’t understand this logic from WCE with our cavernous salary cap position. At the very least a great trainer, mentor and depth as well as straightening up the Beagles and sitting on 298 games.

I don't think the club will stand in the way of him getting another 2 years worth of wages just so he can play another 2 games with us.

Was interested in the stats of our potential traded in players compared to some of our current midfielders. When I was doing the stats I found out that Peatling was a sub for 6 of his games, so removed those games to work out his averages.

As you can see, Peatling's stats are remarkably similar to Reid's.

View attachment 2098932

Of all the players we’ve been linked to and are some chance of getting, Peatling is the one I’d most like to land

Still only 24 and scope for improvement with more game time

Unfortunately, in an interview I read yesterday he expressed a pretty strong desire to stay at GWS which is understandable.

That said, offer good money and use Dev Robertson as Exhibit A of the pitfalls of staying in the hope of getting better opportunities v taking the money and guaranteed game time

That said, offer good money and use Dev Robertson as Exhibit A of the pitfalls of staying in the hope of getting better opportunities v taking the money and guaranteed game time
You're saying we should sign Dev up as a recruiting tool, take him around to meet all our potential targets as a cautionary tale?

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I don't think the club will stand in the way of him getting another 2 years worth of wages just so he can play another 2 games with us.
I get that but I also don’t think asking for a usable 3R pick is an unreasonable request from North who are offering one of our contracted players a two or three year contract when they clearly see value in him.

A few things to point out.

1. Overhead marking - he has 14 contested marks for his career, so sure he might take a mark or two over his head in open play, but that's a baseline skill for an afl player.

2. Contested ball winner - he goes at about 7 contested touches, 12 uncontested per game. Meh. He has skills but he's too small to be a big contested ball winner.

3. You forgot he's a turnover merchant that will put a poor team (which we are) under pressure regularly.

That's why this board is on the take it or leave it bandwagon. Won't lose any sleep if he doesn't come to us.
Stats aside, he's tenacious, a great overhead mark, and perhaps I should have described him more as a 'contested player' than a 'contested ball winner'.

In hindsight?

It looked like you fleeced them at the time 🤣

Our list was so injury-ravaged & ordinary this year he would certainly have got games. Very unfortunate injury for him.

Probably just young kid who looked good in a good side.

I get that but I also don’t think asking for a usable 3R pick is an unreasonable request from North who are offering one of our contracted players a two or three year contract when they clearly see value in him.

Yeah agree, not saying we won't ask for something, I mean a trade has to be done, might be as little as some upgrades now or for next year.

Your on the right track.

Say Tigers end up with picks 1, 6,9, 10 and 17.

Want pick 3 for Jagga or FOS.

Pick 3 and F2nd

For pick 6, 9 and Baker. Add a shuffle of other picks or a player like a Culley. Or we throw in a player like Rotham so the Graham FA compo isn't reduced.

That works.
Slight refinement:-

Baker + 6 + 9 <=> 3 + F2 (low 20's) + Rotham + band 4 compo on Graham late 30's? (if push comes to shove, up it to band 3)

I would do that. Forget what the points system is, the chance for Tigers to pair up their choice of 2 mids at 1 and 3 is very valuable.

Meanwhile we have
Baker + Graham + 6 + 9 +14 (Hawks) + 23

(The loss of F2 and the Barrass sweetener pretty close to evens if the media are to be believed)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No thanks.

Tigers fans and the media are valuing Baker as if he’s contracted and the Eagles are trying to pry him out of the Tigers.

He’s out of contract and wants to move back to WA.

If I was in charge of the Eagles I’d be saying to the Tigers we will offer our F2nd and make sure the Graham compo is band 3 and not band 4.

So pick 22 currently for (Graham) and our F2nd. Alternatively go and find a better deal from Freo or resign a player that doesn’t want to be there anymore.

In no way should the Eagles split pick 3 for Baker or offer the Barrass 1st round pick.
It’s simply not in our best interests.

And yet if we were interested in splitting pick 3 in a totally seperate deal guess which club would likely be involved and interested?

Richmond.

So we may not split pick 3 for Baker.

But we may split pick 3 with Richmond.

And the Baker deal gets caught up in the swings and roundabouts and later minor pick swaps.

Any pick is usable in this draft as long as we've got spots

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is but pick 40 is a lot more appealing than pick 64 when some clubs have already started to pass and we can just select the player anyway.
There have been a few things change over the last 7 years but the main ones impacting the number of players drafted are the reduction of 2 list spots, the mid season draft and a tight salary cap (especially post the Covid cuts) meaning a lower cost of a rookie.

Here are the total number of drafted players in the last 7 years
2023 - 64
2022 - 59 (Noah was 58)
2021- 65
2020 - 59
2019 - 65
2018 - 78
2017 - 78

I think the depth of this year is more akin to 2017 and 2018 and I am expecting the total number of draftees to be between 70 and 75. For a side like us, I would like to see us cutting harder (eg Witherdon and Trew go) and taking picks at the tail of the draft to find another Noah Long. Once we get past 50, I expect some clubs will start passing but those will be the clubs at the pointy end of the ladder.

Last edited:
Excuse the intrusion
I think that if Mini is appointed both Graham & Baker will 100% become eagles players
they were very vocal last year after Dimma stepped away in endorsing Mini as the coach

Good luck with the rebuild we both need it :thumbsu:

Excuse the intrusion
I think that if Mini is appointed both Graham & Baker will 100% become eagles players
they were very vocal last year after Dimma stepped away in endorsing Mini as the coach

Good luck with the rebuild we both need it :thumbsu:
What's the general opinion of Andrew from Richmond fans and players? I don't really know the guy

This was a fascinating watch as Jagga had to fight through a hard tag all game. Bottom ager Felix Kneipp got the job which he stuck to with discipline, working extra hard at stoppage to scrag and block Jagga's run and sticking with him as best he could on the spread. Jagga got frustrated at times, giving away a few retaliatory free kicks, but he mostly stuck at it and worked extra hard to break free which he managed at key moments, especially in the second half where he kicked a goal and played a role in a couple of other scoring chains.

What's the general opinion of Andrew from Richmond fans and players? I don't really know the guy
Personally, i didnt want him and wanted a complete change not because he is a bad coach but not a great fit for Richmond
He had been at the club a while and was chummy with all the players and almost a Dimma light.

Just felt the club needed a new voice and a complete change but if Dimma had left 18 months earlier he would have been the clear choice to take over and we would all have been happy with that,

But i think he would be a good choice for the eagles for the next 3-4 years as the rebuilding coach is rarely the coach thats there in 5 years time.

benefit would be he would be cheap experienced assistant to rebuild and the cost would enable the club to have higher quality development and assistants

We recently pissed off Teague and brought back Caracalla because we can now afford to pay him more but couldnt due to Dimma's contract

Esentially he will be a good bridging coach for the eagles and if by some chance he becomes the next Hardwick - Bonus
But the players will love him and thats why Graham & baker will select the eagles

Ohh whilst im here why wouldnt you guys take Kamdyn McIntosh as well bloody good clubman on nin salary and free agent as well as a WA man

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back