List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
On Baker, I know he wants to look after Richmond, but he also wants to come West. He should want whoever he comes to to be the best they can be.

Would be more than happy for us to pass on trading for him and to commit to picking him up in the PSD. If he said he wants to go to WA only Tigers and North would pass on him. If he doesn't want to go that route, and we can't get him for a cheap trade then move on, pass.

Sadly no one seems to want to do that and force the issue.

Tigers want him to stay and he seems open to it, if he went to the PSD Tigers would definitely pick him up, in fact I reckon North would as well.
Neither of those teams are turning down a best 22 player who isn't 100% committed to leaving Victoria.

That’s nice Andy but when Richmond fans are happy with the trade, it tells me he isn’t worth what is suggested when out of contract.

Problem is he isn’t a bull, a goal kicker, big tackler. He is a midget. Bit of everything who suited Richmond game plan.

He has some value for sure but early to mid second at best.

Didn't say I was 'happy' about it, but TBH I think I'm usually quite a reasonable supporter and this is why I prefer to have discussion on other boards - the one-eyed fans of your own club are sometimes the worst perspectives.

We've had that discussion ourselves (Baker's strengths) and I would say his overhead marking, for a midget, is actually exceptional. Contested ball winner and has great ability to play wherever required - he's played back, forward, midfield etc for us at various stages. And as alluded to earlier he's a great leader.

Would you be guaranteed that at P23 (slide to 26-28 at least)? Likely not.

ARCHER!!!

The forgotten Reid and Rawlinson have extended their contracts, post season list is slowly becoming clearer. Not thrilled about Rawlinson but very happy Archer has extended, he was one I was a bit worried about.
2 more years (End of 2027 season) for Archer is excellent for WC. He's going to be a force when he's grown into his body and has a few preseasons under his belt.

Last edited:
Tigers want him to stay and he seems open to it, if he went to the PSD Tigers would definitely pick him up, in fact I reckon North would as well.
Neither of those teams are turning down a best 22 player who isn't 100% committed to leaving Victoria.
That's the rub. He'd need to come out and say he's moving back to WA and doesn't want to stay in Vic.

No one has ever gone against the express wishes of an out of contract senior player who states they only want to go to one state.

Schoey saying he has heard JD is seriously considering the offer to play elsewhere

Just listened to it. If a club's crazy enough to offer him two or perhaps even three years for an aging player who literally played like four decent games this year then you'd be crazy not to take them up on it.

ARCHER!!!

The forgotten Reid and Rawlinson have extended their contracts, post season list is slowly becoming clearer. Not thrilled about Rawlinson but very happy Archer has extended, he was one I was a bit worried about.
Forgotten Reid. You wash your mouth out!

(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

Talk indicates that Barrass will go to Hawks for P12.

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
That puts Bakers value at pick 8, which is way too high.

If what's being reported is true, that North have offered him a 3year deal, he'd be crazy not to.

Shades of when Lynch went to Collingwood to finish his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't say I was 'happy' about it, but TBH I think I'm usually quite a reasonable supporter and this is why I prefer to have discussion on other boards - the one-eyed fans of your own club are sometimes the worst perspectives.

We've had that discussion ourselves (Baker's strengths) and I would say his overhead marking, for a midget, is actually exceptional. Contested ball winner and has great ability to play wherever required - he's played back, forward, midfield etc for us at various stages. And as alluded to earlier he's a great leader.

Would you be guaranteed that at P23 (slide to 26-28 at least)? Likely not.

For us, I think he is less likely a mid (although we do lack quality on the wings) and more likely a small forward or back (back depending on who we retain or delist).

Agree the likelihood is that a player taken at 26-28 (live draft) is not going to get to Bakers level, but also would say it is unlikely teams pick a small defender or forward (unless an absolutely elite small fwd) in the top 20.

But yeah, massaging 38 up to 22 for Graham and trading our F2 seems a decent deal. Better than 23 + 38 imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ARCHER!!!

Plenty of other players to delist before Rawlinson.

Wait, 3 years for Jack Darling?

IF that is true, Brady Rawlings is completely mental

JD for 40
TB for 12 30
3 23 for 6 9 29

Draft night.
6 9 12 29 40 59

In
Graham
Baker F2
Peatling for 30

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks great, but I don’t see us getting quite that good a deal on the Richmond pick swap.

That’s the draft hand we should be taking though, would go a huge way to the rebuild.

If we didn’t get peatling (feels unlikely) maybe the pick 30 could go to Richmond with another swap. They could get package a bunch of their points to Brisbane for their first.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Talk of Stringer to Swans. Any implications through a WCE lense? Would the Swans be more open to letting Chad go a year early? At the very least would push Sheldrick even further down the list for mid rotations. Swans already have picks 18 & 19 so wouldn’t need to trade for picks but the addition of Stringer would impact their list demographic and salary cap which could open up some possibilities for us.

Your reply above, to my rebuttal of your original post

:arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup:

Your original post ........ that I replied to.

Bolded reads and sounds like a statement to me. :shrug:

Tip maybe don't make statements on players ability, on the basis of ONLY watching one highlights package.

Do some research.

" His kicking looked very suspect" , was your statement.

His last two games.

Round 21 16 possessions 3 goals 1
Final week 1. 21 possessions 4 goals straight.

As a high half forward, the stats looks pretty elite to me.

Hopefully thats enough useful comments for you to realise that it's you that has been the dick.
OR , you could read the entire post in whole, which provides the context.
I.e. IF his kicking is suspect I wouldn’t want to spend top 30 on him (unless he’s an inside mid which he doesn’t sound like it). But then the last sentence is an invitation to be corrected on his kicking ability if it is actually not so bad.

Not everyone has the time to dedicate hours upon hours to watching footage. If I was actually a recruiter obviously I wouldn’t make a decision based on one highlights package. Surely your expectation isn’t that everyone on big footy has done this sort of research.

Looking at stats alone doesn’t provide a compelling case for where someone should be drafted. There’s been lots of guys who can rack it up but don’t get drafted at all or go late, for qualitative reasons rather than quantitative, no doubt you’re aware of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back