List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, 3 years for Jack Darling?

IF that is true, Brady Rawlings is completely mental

North should have pushed for it last year, Larkey desperately needs someone to play off, Darling can play the second tall role. 2 years makes sense, the third is a sweetener.

Glad that most of you are able to keep it civil.

Was just a suggestion/conversation.

P23 won't be enough for Baker on it's own. Maybe we overrate him, maybe you underrate him (but want to trade him in)?

As for 9+10 for Bolton, same with Barrass - Bolton is contracted and given our list changes recently (Dusty/Grimes/Pickett retirements, upcoming trades) we can afford to pay salaries in a dump similar to how GCS dumped Bowes.

I expect Bolton + Rioli will get high draft pick returns while we pay significant portions of their wages since we will surely have trouble getting to the minimum EBA threshold with our likely list for 2025.
If 23 is too much just keep him .

Most on our board don't want him .

Seems this whole thing is your old list bosses idea .

Keep Graham while your at it please

Last edited:
I guess this is determined by how much a player wants to move.

But we don't really know how big of a deal this is to Baker - would he stay otherwise?

Clubs usually work together quite well on these ones, despite all the BS about walking through PSD etc etc.

Look at CCJ, who we traded to North after a few promising games. He wanted value for RFC and now it's looking like we fleeced them in hindsight.
In hindsight?

It looked like you fleeced them at the time 🤣

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

Scroll up he says,
3 pages of "I come in peace" Bakers worth this, no he's not he's worth this, no he's not etc
Finally found something and yes seems like a good get.
Yep that’s a fair call. I’ve had Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy on ignore for a while because his trade suggestions are ridiculous and clogs the board so I didn’t realise. About 2PM yesterday when the Claremont game was there are some good insights into Davis.

Talk of Stringer to Swans. Any implications through a WCE lense? Would the Swans be more open to letting Chad go a year early? At the very least would push Sheldrick even further down the list for mid rotations. Swans already have picks 18 & 19 so wouldn’t need to trade for picks but the addition of Stringer would impact their list demographic and salary cap which could open up some possibilities for us.
The Colas D/H policy enduring on

Listening to SEN this morning and tom morris reckoned simmo told witherden (before he was sacked) that a 2 year extension was coming his way.

Bucks straight away called that completely false as a head coach does not announce this to the players.

Thank God there's someone in that studio who was once in the trenches who can call this crap out as well as it's said. Just like I never bought Don Pyke sending Schofield coaches notes through texts during the game..that's absolutely absurd.

I'm sure that was coming from Witherden's manager trying to press the Eagles into hurrying up with their decision on him..which I don't think will happen until we get the actual coach in there.

Thank God there's someone in that studio who was once in the trenches who can call this crap out as well as it's said. Just like I never bought Don Pyke sending Schofield coaches notes through texts during the game..that's absolutely absurd.

I'm sure that was coming from Witherden's manager trying to press the Eagles into hurrying up with their decision on him..which I don't think will happen until we get the actual coach in there.

I'd be genuinely baffled if that decision wasn't already made long ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass deal players I'd be looking closely at:

Josh Ward, Max Ramsden + 1st rounder combo would be wet dream stuff.

To a lesser extent Harry Morrison.

DGB, not thanks.

Didn't say I was 'happy' about it, but TBH I think I'm usually quite a reasonable supporter and this is why I prefer to have discussion on other boards - the one-eyed fans of your own club are sometimes the worst perspectives.

We've had that discussion ourselves (Baker's strengths) and I would say his overhead marking, for a midget, is actually exceptional. Contested ball winner and has great ability to play wherever required - he's played back, forward, midfield etc for us at various stages. And as alluded to earlier he's a great leader.

Would you be guaranteed that at P23 (slide to 26-28 at least)? Likely not.
A few things to point out.

1. Overhead marking - he has 14 contested marks for his career, so sure he might take a mark or two over his head in open play, but that's a baseline skill for an afl player.

2. Contested ball winner - he goes at about 7 contested touches, 12 uncontested per game. Meh. He has skills but he's too small to be a big contested ball winner.

3. You forgot he's a turnover merchant that will put a poor team (which we are) under pressure regularly.

That's why this board is on the take it or leave it bandwagon. Won't lose any sleep if he doesn't come to us.

Was interested in the stats of our potential traded in players compared to some of our current midfielders. When I was doing the stats I found out that Peatling was a sub for 6 of his games, so removed those games to work out his averages.

As you can see, Peatling's stats are remarkably similar to Reid's.

1725255068348.png

Was interested in the stats of our potential traded in players compared to some of our current midfielders. When I was doing the stats I found out that Peatling was a sub for 6 of his games, so removed those games to work out his averages.

As you can see, Peatling's stats are remarkably similar to Reid's.

View attachment 2098932

Archer or Phil?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back