List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
We aren’t getting Graham to move states with a 2 year deal

Hunt and Flynn were given 3 year deals to come across as free agents which on face value would’ve been appropriate for Graham as well.

The difference between them and Graham is that their respective clubs (Melbourne and GWS) weren’t actively trying to retain them in the same way Richmond wanted to keep Graham. They also had a 4 year deal in front of Graham

Assuming the 4th year (2028) is on lower money than the first three then I’m fine with it since he only turns 30 that year

Every year without fail.

Day 1 of Free Agency/Trade Period - i should shut my bigfooty account down until this period is over, it will just be endless speculation and worry over something i have no control of. Will best for my mental health, relationships. work etc.,

Final Day of Free Agency/Trade Period - shit, i've posted 1,000 times in the last two weeks, most of it pointless and wrong. My mental health is shot, my wife is giving me death stares, my kids don't recognise me, and i'm in line at centerlink.

Good times.
Nothing wrong with being passionate about something, take it easy though, remember to breathe while Mastenasting.

We aren’t getting Graham to move states with a 2 year deal

Hunt and Flynn were given 3 year deals to come across as free agents which on face value would’ve been appropriate for Graham as well.

The difference between them and Graham is that their respective clubs (Melbourne and GWS) weren’t actively trying to retain them in the same way Richmond wanted to keep Graham. They also had a 4 year deal in front of Graham

Assuming the 4th year (2028) is on lower money than the first three then I’m fine with it since he only turns 30 that year
To be fair he was told to explore his options mid season and Richmond only wanted to retain Graham after Baker, Rioli and Bolton said they were keen to jump ship. I agree 2 years wouldn’t have been enough but 3 years perhaps with a games trigger for a fourth would have been a smarter deal for a very one dimensional player. You would hope Hall is plying his role within 2 years.

We need mid to late 20's senior footballers capable of helping the young players and having enough experience to lead young players and assist us in getting more than 5 wins a season.

Big footy posters here melting over us giving 4 years to a 26 year old Graham who has won 2 flags and played in one of the greatest football sides of the last 10 years with enough experience and leadership qualities to assist us and our rebuild and replace Jack darling up forward with defensive skills.

And we got him for free...not a brass razoo

Honestly some of you need to give yourselves and uppercut.

We need mid to late 20's senior footballers capable of helping the young players and having enough experience to lead young players and assist us in getting more than 5 wins a season.

Big footy posters here melting over us giving 4 years to a 26 year old Graham who has won 2 flags and played in one of the greatest football sides of the last 10 years with enough experience and leadership qualities to assist us and our rebuild and replace Jack darling up forward with defensive skills.

Could not agree more. Melting over nothing.

The great unwashed genuinely think that filling the list with a stack of 18-22 year olds will = premierships

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The great unwashed genuinely think that filling the list with a stack of 18-22 year olds will = premierships
Hard to argue when you look at Gold Coast’s track record.

Oh but it worked for Melbourne after the worst decade of footy in modern history, when they eventually won one flag.

But when we ‘only’ won one flag it was a disappointment.

IMG_2919.jpeg

Yeah I don't understand the melts here

The club have identified the 24-28 bracket as lacking on our list and have been pretty clear about that, and the moves we've made are addressing that.

In my view our list is objectively already looking better than it was last year

If we are giving Richmond pick 21 or 25 for Graham through free agency how does that benefit us if we still are expected to give 14 for Baker? those picks now push our second rounder back another pic. Surely we have worked a deal with Richmond for Baker now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back