List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
900 is probably overs but shouldn’t be an issue for us, front-end it and it could even help us. We are practically trying to give away money to meet the cap at this point aren’t we? Freo on the other hand, 2mil tied up in ruckman alone before you even look at Brayshaw, Serong, Young etc
Yeah the $900k would be 0 issue for us. It would be the picks in the trade and what other mids we could get in via trade ect. That where I think we really struggle.

Get 12* and 30* for TB
Give 12* and 23* for Pickett.

Leave us with 3 and 30 to get mids and also a running hbf who can kick.

Big weekend for FOS, wildcard round to see who can make finals. Could be his last game.

If he puts together another game like last weekend, he's right back in top 3 contention for me.

Game is in Ballarat which is a wind tunnel of a ground, and to cap things off there's been really high winds of late. So don't expect pinpoint kicking.
If the wind is like the last week or so, good luck playing in it haha. I was nearly obliterated by a falling branch in Halls Gap the other day. Hope FOS has a big game though

Big weekend for FOS, wildcard round to see who can make finals. Could be his last game.

If he puts together another game like last weekend, he's right back in top 3 contention for me.

Game is in Ballarat which is a wind tunnel of a ground, and to cap things off there's been really high winds of late. So don't expect pinpoint kicking.
Hope it’s quiet and injury free.

Surely we could do that for pick 12 on its own then?
Highly doubt it. Difference is Dees don’t want to sell or have to.

Now with Houston saying he is staying. That rules out the Power imo.

I think the Crows are too far down the Lukosius/ANB and needing a mid path.

If Freo think Chad is coming next year they will stay on that path and don’t want to be on the hook for both $900k for Pickett and did I read $1.2m for Bolton a year.

I think unless Trac changes his mind and stays. Pickett might pick the Eagles if he really wants out of the city. Ryan could help make it happen. We would love him and have a sort of need for his position but Mids and HBF are more pressing imo this off season. Interesting

Could go anywhere from 7-15, I’m confident he’ll be there at our pick although I have heard from others that Carlton are interested in him. He’s also a very St.Kilda pick.
If StK get band 1 I’m expecting them to take best mid available and TT. Desperate for Hawks to lose and Blues to win solely so we’re above their pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, damaging high volume kicker who’s a good runner and versatile

I like Bo Allan too, but just not for us specifically.
Pray for the Dogs win this week or getting into areas where TT and Lindsay both won’t be there.

Not a huge Allen fan. Really hope we don’t go down that path even if he is WA lad

Pray for the Dogs win this week or getting into areas where TT and Lindsay both won’t be there.

Not a huge Allen fan. Really hope we don’t go down that path even if he is WA lad

A Dogs and Carlton win would be a god send

Hoping the Dogs key forwards absolutely rip Hawthorn’s defence to shreds, might help a little in TB negotiations.

If StK get band 1 I’m expecting them to take best mid available and TT. Desperate for Hawks to lose and Blues to win solely so we’re above their pick.

From what I understand Saints upped the offer to a price that if Hawks match it would get band 1. Hawks didn't, he still chose them.

Will be interesting to see.

FOS/Draper or someone just as awesome
Pickett
Baker
Champion
Lachlan Blakiston
Graham
+ 2 more draft picks
and pray to God that Hewett comes good =
Premiership confirmed😀
I have a feeling this is what it might look like. Like all the pick ups individually but still see us getting slaughtered in the midfield. Peatling or Gracia would be nice but doesn’t seem like we are cutting deep enough for that.

this is what a lot of people thought about dewar. Thye showed flashes and potential. Keep them.
I am ok with Livingston getting another year. He is a big player and showed enough to persevere with a little longer.

Don’t see it with Rawlinson. I think WAFL is his level. Doesn’t kick many goals. Happy to delist. I will be surprised if he makes it, so a bit of a list clogger.

I’m with you on the very low likelihood. More of an exercise in exploring what avenues we could look into with the currency that we should have available to us, and which players actually suit us best.

I was pretty certain that our best look at Chad would be end of 2025 when he is out of contract. However, on the Tradies podcast Mitch Cleary did mention that he thinks there is still a bit to play out with Warner- of course McClure then went off on some tangent before Mitch could elaborate on his Warner intel.

If Sydney wins the flag maybe Warner gets their blessing to come home? Tricky thing with the Swans is that they are right in the flag window so will draft picks satisfy them? Ideally TB could’ve been part of the deal to help them immediately as opposed to some draftees that will be good in 5 years time.
I wrote about this on the coach thread but I think it pretty relevant for this thread too.

Listened to the Nest Pod (for those who dont POD, 2 Eagles nuffies who are in the media and have connections) and they were saying there is not intel or leaks coming out of the Eagles at all atm in regards to the Coaching gig.

They even mentioned it to the Club and they said good and about time ect. You can tell it’s driving Vic media crazy.

I think lips are very tight in regards to our recruits too and only info the media are getting are from Player Managers in regards to us.

I have a feeling this is what it might look like. Like all the pick ups individually but still see us getting slaughtered in the midfield. Peatling or Gracia would be nice but doesn’t seem like we are cutting deep enough for that.
Yep that’s where it all starts in the guts, another top 3 midfielder will help, and it does look like we’ll pick one up. WC don’t normally give too much away, so I definitely haven’t given up hope on Garcia or Peatling etc.
As much as we need A grade mids, we also need a quality defensive midfielder, a competitor who can stop the oppositions best mids.
If Hewett does come good, that will be a huge bonus too🤞
If there’s ever a time for hope, it’s trade and draft time, I’m sure those working behind the scenes know what type of players are needed.
We really need a high footy IQ, competitive Ruckman too.

Don’t see it with Rawlinson. I think WAFL is his level. Doesn’t kick many goals. Happy to delist. I will be surprised if he makes it, so a bit of a list clogger.

And there is the problem with the WAFL Eagles. It's hard for a pressure forward to show what they're capable of, and develop if they're getting belted week in week out.

It's time to disperse the boys amongst the remaining sides.

An alignment isn't going to fly with any club other than Peel because of the hubris of the other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back