List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham is free in draft picks, but we've offered him a four year deal. He's injury prone, we are clearly using salary cap space which you can bank over time with smart contract management and may eventually be able to use to buy picks or incentivise a chad type.

Harley, daicos, sheezel, JHF, weddle, mckercher, gulden, holmes.

It's a bit of a fallacy players can't impact in their first 1-3 years. If you have good picks, and draft well you can get players that impact almost immediately. I don't consider our second rounder "cheap" in this draft for peatling. He's 24 and still hasn't properly established himself in an admittedly very strong midfield. I would rather build a core around Harley.

Parfitt the best fit for us imo. Does the hard stuff to an afl level. Is a legit on-baller where we want an extra option (i.e better fit than graham) and is less likely imo to have his body fall apart next year than Graham.

Peatling's fine but not for a top 30 pick (which is what he will cost).
Parfitt is a so much better option than Graham.
Parfitt and Kelly were at Geelong together hopefully we can get Kelly to bring him over .
Geelong have so many of his type but we lack genuine mid/HFF options past select few guys

Parfitt is a so much better option than Graham.
Parfitt and Kelly were at Geelong together hopefully we can get Kelly to bring him over .
Geelong have so many of his type but we lack genuine mid/HFF options past select few guys
Sounds like it won’t take much to get him over. Cats ain’t offering him a new deal and doesn’t have many buyers

I saw the Port Adelaide recruiting/list management team in a Geelong Cafe a couple of weeks back. My guess was they were for Parfitt, or a meeting Lachie Jaques or Xavier Ivisic

Do you have any insights to Lalors application or are you too removed from that side of the draft this year?

He's coming from a long way back fitness wise due to injury but is not injury prone imo.

For him to be a true star he has to become a full time midfielder and he's 3-4 years away from that (a bit like Young at the dockers). He is a burst power athlete similar to Harley. He is a bit more bull and a bit less finesse.

Part of the issue with Lalor and as much as he has amazing highlights is his fitness and getting it to AFL standard for a midfielder. He's also not a true ball pig. His kicking is a bit hit/miss but should improve a touch with decision making but again he's a 3-4 year prospect before you see the full picture.

The real issue and the really big risk is are you picking a stringer/de goey type who bar 1 season etc never makes it as a full time mid.

His application and want to improve is very strong, but if he was to lose confidence then it would be a worry, he is very much a confidence player.

He is not as talented as Reid and im some ways has a bit of Bailey Humphrey about him.

If the club had a second pick in the top 10 i'd be really keen but with just 1 as it stands I would be looking elsewhere. With Sam you are drafting upside.

Kangaroos have tabled Darling an offer

Their pick 40 sounds good.

Part of me says yeah go if you wanna go, but the other part of me stings if he does go after he's played 298 games with us and his 300th is in a f*cking North jumper. I'd keep him on the list just to get him to 300 tbh, we need all the vet leadership we can get when Barrass goes. Do with him what we did with JK at the end, play him for the home games, leave him home for the away games.

Kangaroos have tabled Darling an offer

Their pick 40 sounds good.

Good bit of business for both teams(and Jack) if he's willing to move.

Slowed down in recent years but his best is still elite, as we saw when he returned from the WAFL.

Darling has released a statement via X:

"The reason for my trade request today was due to doctor's orders. The club had been provided with a medical certificate. I have been diagnosed as suffering from a work related injury and as a result I am on sick leave till further notice. I will not go into any details as to my medical condition as I wish to keep that strictly private. I am doing my best to work with the club and my doctors so I can recover from my injury. I intend to return back to training as soon as I am fit and able."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford isn't quick of body, he's quick of mind it's why his first few steps look fast while guys like Ginbey or Chesser have a slow first few steps imo.

His 20m time earlier in the year was 3.2 however whilst not there I was told he stumbled the first step. Has a low max speed but a solid cruising speed.

His agility is actually quite good.

People should not be surprised if he all things stay as they are now that he's a top 3 pick.

Lalor is nowhere near even top tier Coates league fitness atm let alone AFL fitness so that will have a bearing and if drafted he will need a couple of years. He has a huge ceiling but is also a chance of being a bust as a mid.
Who would you compare Langford to? Is he a Tom Green type? Bont?

Makes zero sense for North but I'm OK with it

They are actually targeting a mature age forward to assist. Mark this down as possible.

Makes zero sense for North but I'm OK with it
Makes sense for them. They don't have a bloke who can draw defenders away from Larkey. JD can easily do that.

He's also an elite trainer and a competitor. He'd only be there as a short-term foil for Larkey, as well as to set an example of how to prepare at the elite level.

They are actually targeting a mature age forward to assist. Mark this down as possible.
Makes sense for them. They don't have a bloke who can draw defenders away from Larkey. JD can easily do that.

He's also an elite trainer and a competitor. He'd only be there as a short-term foil for Larkey, as well as to set an example of how to prepare at the elite level.
I would have thought North might look for someone a couple of years younger but the Larkey angle makes a lot of sense

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back