List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen is a WA boy and club captain- the likelihood of him leaving is low to the point of being non-existent. We also have plenty of salary cap room

Brayshaw doesn’t quite have those same local ties and Fremantle probably have less cap space, especially if they get Bolton. That said, I expect Brayshaw to stay with Freo
The whole family is in WA, based off Hamish:s comments the other week.

Considering they grew up early years in SA and Andy was a Port supporter, not really sure where he'd be going 'back' to to begin with.

I think Richmond would be pretty keen to team Jagga and FOS together. I’d be pushing 3 and 23 for 6 and 9 if they get those picks in.

If saint get 2 x top 10 picks they would be another.
Richmond will turn 6 + 10 into 2 + ?

6 + 10 would give norf trainor + a KPF .

Allen is a WA boy and club captain- the likelihood of him leaving is low to the point of being non-existent. We also have plenty of salary cap room

Brayshaw doesn’t quite have those same local ties and Fremantle probably have less cap space, especially if they get Bolton. That said, I expect Brayshaw to stay with Freo
Brayshaw won't go back to Vic . WA is his home his family live here now .

What will happen though is clubs will throw some ridiculous coin at him and drive up his price

1 year deals:
Rawlinson
Livingstone
Trew
Culley

Retire/delist:
JJ
Rotham
Witherden
Burgiel
Edwards
Gaff

Trade Ins:
Peatling- 23 + GWS give back 49
Kozzie- 12 + Hawks f1

Trade Outs:
Barass- 12 and Hawks f1
Darling- Pies 48

Draft:
3 - O'Sullivan
48 - Dennis
49 + 59 (445pts) = pick 39 Champion bid
Kozzie
Peatling
Graham (FA)

Best 23
Hough Edwards Cole
Duggan Gov Ginbey
Kelly Peatling Maric
Pickett Snake Long
Ryan Allen Jwilliams

Flynn Yeo Reid

O'Sullivan Graham Hutchinson Dewar
(Sub)Hewett
Sorry but no.... We should not be giving up any draft capital in the top 30 at all

What if he gets shopped (Allen)?... Like barrass

We do but with English off the board there really isn't much available this year. We should be banking some future picks for next year and have a red hot go at Tom DeKoning.
TDK is a free agent next year so he’d come free of draft capital. Carlton couldn’t possibly match a financial offer from us too. I’m very keen but very unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first three quarters of this game Gerreyn seemed to be waging a one man war against the entire Subiaco team. He dominated the ruck with deft tap work, he followed up at ground level with clean and skillful work by hand and foot, he kicked goals, and most impressively took a variety of strong marks around the ground. Just prior to the 3/4 time siren he copped a heavy knock, lay prone for a while and then had to come off bleeding and visibly groggy. It was extremely surprising to see him back out there in the final term, and he looked a shadow of his former self.

Lost the hit outs to a 17-year-old who is both shorter than him and is about 20kg lighter.

TDK is a free agent next year so he’d come free of draft capital. Carlton couldn’t possibly match a financial offer from us too. I’m very keen but very unlikely.
Ok ... I thought he was a restricted free agent next year... Either way we should not really try for a ruck this off season as there is nothing available. Hopefully Barnett comes along next season and we can get some games into him along with Flynn.

There’s a finite list of reasons why players leave their club. In no particular order -

1) Better money/longer term contract
2) Go home factor
3) More games/game time
4) Team success

Peatling is a NSW product playing for a team smack bang in the premiership window so cross out 2 and 4 as reasons for him to leave GWS

Leaves money or opportunity as the triggers

We’d be able to offer as much, if not more, than other clubs

As for opportunity, he’d be a walk up starter in our midfield

Just why he’d go to the Bulldogs who’d be just as difficult a midfield to crack into as GWS would be a mystery. Might as well stay at GWS

Hopefully, Flynn can earn some of his pay this year by having a not so quiet word in Peatling’s ear

He’d be a very good pick up for us but one I’m not confident we can get at this stage of our rebuild

So, we've extended Archer Reid by two years.
Personally happy with that.

But it raises a bit of a 'where do we fit him in?' type dilemma.
203cm tall forward.
1 - We've got O Allen. 196cm. Genuine KPF and good age.
2 - We've got Jake Waterman. Good age (at 26 a bit older than most of the others but in sweet age spot for what is lacking on our list), 2024 AA. At 191cm more of a 3rd tall but was very good overhead in 2024 and played well above his reported height.
3 - We've got J Williams. 198cm. Good age. Showed a fair bit in 2024 including a couple of 3 goal games.
4 - B Williams. 200cm. Ruck/forward. Like him or not he has to be in this discussion. Good age.
5 - Darling. At the end of his career but still has a forward presence. Obviously won't be part of our next finals era and probably sidelined a fair bit in 2025.

With Jamo and Flynn and Barnett as potential ruck options who can rest forward what do we do with all these tall forward/ruck play forward types?

Do we turn one of these guys into a KPD?
We're a bit lacking of lockdown talls down back if I'm honest. Barrass (Yes, I know) and Gov are two of the best intercept markers in the AFL, but neither are accountable, lock down types. They do a great job when allowed to peel off and use their own judgement, but when forced into a lock down role they are exposed.
Bomb it in long over 50-60m, laughing. Short pass 30m leaving Gov/Barrass another 30m away in no man's land and we as a team get caught out.

Is A Reid a potential KPD? Is Jamo? Or J Williams? Or Barnett?

Jamo hasn't come on as a ruck, but does he have what it takes to defend one on one?

How do we get games into Archer Reid? Looks like a better prospect than most.
If the (nearly) worst team in the comp can't get games into one of the better KPF prospects anywhere, what are we doing?

And thats why Darling will move on IMO.

Oh you forgot Maric 196cm. Who I can see as a 3rd intercept and rebounding defender, has a great long flat kick.

Eagles tall forward options are certainly flexible.

Last edited:
Just why he’d go to the Bulldogs who’d be just as difficult a midfield to crack into as GWS would be a mystery. Might as well stay at GWS

This was my immediate thought.

The Bulldogs have been pushing mids out due to lack of spots.

Im not going to be a draft expert just hate the idea in principle. If it’s even as you say you’re not getting the picks yo make it worthwhile anyway. Just take the most surefire a grade midfielder at 3. We can’t mess this up.

No one even knows who that sure fire A grader available at 3 is though - it’s a blanket finish at the top end this year. Player at 3,4,5,6 most likely a raffle and dependent on specific club need. I say we take one there and another closeish to top 10 prospect

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back