List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ... I thought he was a restricted free agent next year... Either way we should not really try for a ruck this off season as there is nothing available. Hopefully Barnett comes along next season and we can get some games into him along with Flynn.
Hopefully barnett plays as a backman

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missing out on Graham probably a blessing in disguise. Let's hope he signs with the tigers so we can focus on a younger defensive mid. Dev Robertson probably perfect for that role.
I'm not saying you're wrong, because meh to both, but Graham has way more exposed form at AFL level than Dev, and it's not like Dev hasn't had chances.

I hope we don't get Dev, had his opportunity. I know some will say can't knock him for staying and wanting to try crack into the side, but some times you need to read the writing on the wall.

Parfitt would be a great get.

I just hope we get someone to help in the midfield, lot’s of names being thrown around, one or 2 of them would be great.
I just want the team to be consistently competitive again.

No one even knows who that sure fire A grader available at 3 is though - it’s a blanket finish at the top end this year. Player at 3,4,5,6 most likely a raffle and dependent on specific club need. I say we take one there and another closeish to top 10 prospect
What you are doing if you do that, is saying i'll take whatever is left over, basically hoping other clubs stuff up and don't take the best options, rather than taking the one you want earlier.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

I just hope we get someone to help in the midfield, lot’s of names being thrown around, one or 2 of them would be great.
I just want the team to be consistently competitive again.

Baker, Parfitt and Graham are all 26 this year. Peatling is 24, Robertson and Garcia both 23, Carroll is 22 and Sheldrick is 21

I see Baker replacing Cripps in the side as a HHF although they likely play together next year as Cripps is phased out before retiring at the end of the year

Then it’s either Graham or Parfitt but not both unless we miss out on all the younger options we’re chasing

Could afford to go two of Peatling, Garcia or Sheldrick, but Robertson or Carroll only if we miss out on two of those three. I’m not convinced Dev or Carroll are automatic best 22 whereas the others would be

So taking into account reality-

Baker
Graham or Parfitt
One of Peatling, Garcia or Sheldrick
Robertson or Carroll

Gives us a starting HHF, a FA experienced starting mid for 3-4 years, a long term starting mid and cheap midfielder that’s fringe best 22

All those players come from good football programs so should bring good training habits with them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see Peatling choosing us, it's like Harley Reid going to a Perth nightclub he's not going to pick the ugly fat girl in the corner.
I know we're shit at the moment but we're still the one of the biggest sporting clubs in Australia. Calling us the ugly fat girl in the corner is akin to a sledge at a cheerleading convention

Baker, Parfitt and Graham are all 26 this year. Peatling is 24, Robertson and Garcia both 23, Carroll is 22 and Sheldrick is 21

I see Baker replacing Cripps in the side as a HHF although they likely play together next year as Cripps is phased out before retiring at the end of the year

Then it’s either Graham or Parfitt but not both unless we miss out on all the younger options we’re chasing

Could afford to go two of Peatling, Garcia or Sheldrick, but Robertson or Carroll only if we miss out on two of those three. I’m not convinced Dev or Carroll are automatic best 22 whereas the others would be

So taking into account reality-

Baker
Graham or Parfitt
One of Peatling, Garcia or Sheldrick
Robertson or Carroll

Gives us a starting HHF, a FA experienced starting mid for 3-4 years, a long term starting mid and cheap midfielder that’s fringe best 22

All those players come from good football programs so should bring good training habits with them
I’m definitely excited by the prospect of additional midfield support. I’m also nervously optimistic about Hewett, he’s got a huge amount of talent, I hope he can overcome his injury, if he can the WC midfield will be looking markedly different very quickly.

I know this boards pretty much already written him off because he didnt tackle one time and had one come off the boot badly, but I think Hall will be good player
Really hope he does, but he’ll be bucking a horrific midfield development trend at West Coast if he does.

We haven’t had a midfielder drafted outside the 1st round at West Coast come good since Matt Priddis… a very long time ago.

Can't see Peatling choosing us, it's like Harley Reid going to a Perth nightclub he's not going to pick the ugly fat girl in the corner.
You realise that is a trick statement. Harley knows all the ugly fat girls in Perth are Freo fans.

Last edited:
If TT is gone before the Hawks, there will be others. Lindsay and Berry have been on my list and I am warming to Tauru. He is flourished as a 3rd tall intercepting defender but of late has proven he can go forward and a couple of midfield stints.

Provided we have a genuine midfielder with our first pick, I would look at him as a risk reward pick. At 193, can he be the Yeo replacement?

What you are doing if you do that, is saying i'll take whatever is left over, basically hoping other clubs stuff up and don't take the best options, rather than taking the one you want earlier.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Nope - I’m saying at pick 3-6 it will be negligible the difference between who you are calling ‘best’ and ‘left over’.

I think in this draft if you got every team to hypothetically select their pick 3 they’d come up with 4 or 5 different guys - thus making picks 3-6 incredibly even.

So we get someone’s legitimate version of pick 3 at 6 anyway and throw in a near top 10 pick as well. It’s the year to do it unless absolutely in love with who they think will be at 3 and not at 6 AND if the club believes there will actually be any ceiling gap within those few selections

So what you are saying is there is a chance, we just need to get enough drinks into him to cloud his judgement.

I thought we should trade down to 6? That way we potentially miss out on Jagga, Draper, FOS, Langford and Smillie. I'm sure the sixth best midfielder will be great. Just awesome stuff.
Murphy Reid and Sam Lalor could easily be better than all of those guys, very even top 8 or so. Just yesterday the Giants' Adrian Caruso had Lalor in top 3.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back