List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker is worth a mid 20's pick. Anything more, and you are being screwed.

Your pick 23 will be pushed out to pick 26 or 27, so that's about right.

Daresay that's the magic number which would annoy both parties and make them feel like they've been hard done by, so it's exactly where we'll end up.

Same with Dev for our 7th rounder. You'll push for our 6th and pay half his salary, but we'll hold firm.

I don’t want us to be giving up picks in this draft, they need to be used on young talent

Use or F2 plus some steak knives if necessary but that needs to be what we give up, even if Baker is arguably worth more

I’m also not convinced Fremantle will make a better offer
That would be a preferable trade, but that would be screwing Richmond over.

Like it or not, it looks like your club has courted Baker, and you need to get the trade done.

Both sets of fans probably won't like your second round pick for Baker, so that probably makes it fair.

You need to get some genuine AFL talent on to your list, and as much as I don't rate Baker, he's the type you need for the next 5 years.

Daresay that's the magic number which would annoy both parties and make them feel like they've been hard done by, so it's exactly where we'll end up.
Just said the same.
Same with Dev for our 7th rounder. You'll push for our 6th and pay half his salary, but we'll hold firm.
Nahhhh, I'd take that in a heart beat for Dev. He has no future on our list, and no trade value. But we won't pay any of his contract, you'll extend him for three more, beyond next year.

It's just indicative of the society we live in now.
I can't tell off the tradesmen I have under me anymore because one of them went literally crying to the boss and I got told off for it.

I have to be nice to him despite multiple **** ups.

Participation trophies, attendance certificates at school....shit Iike this has ****ed up kids so when they are adults all they think is necessary is to show up to get a reward.
Give them a bit of encouragement. A pat on the bum should do it!

Last edited:
I’m loving the idea of starting the discussions with Tigers and pick 3 for Baker

Here are the assumptions
Rioli to Suns for pick 6
Bolton to Freo for 10 and Port R1 pick say 15 and some later picks going back
Barrass with fully paid 2 years salary for R1 (12) and F1
Trade to Suns Hawks F1 for Doggies pick 16

Pick 3 and 23 to Tigers for 6 15 and Baker

Take to the draft 6 12 15 16 and anything we get for Ryan and or Darling

Lesson being. Stop pissing your pants about pick 3 and Baker. Look at the whole deal and truth is we collectively know SFA. Oh, and Jon Ralph is flog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port is essentially more successful Freo and their fans are the most feral in the league. Also whats funny is that port like to bring their history with the SANFL and etc but the Power and Magpies aren’t the same entity the two sides are in two different leagues (at least the prictorians have a ground the stand with their flag/history as the VFL turned into the AFL). I’ve lived in Adelaide and as much as I dislike crows, they’re billion times more likeable that Port.

Apparently the West Coast is desperate for L.Baker as it will struggle to meet minimum spend next year if Barrass leaves and other possible recruits don't eventuate.

Getting the feeling that the club will pay above value here to ensure that doesn't occur.
That is bonkers, surely there’s other ways to manipulate things to reach minimum spend.

Any other details on this or anything else that could be of interest to us that you’ve heard?

Apparently the West Coast is desperate for L.Baker as it will struggle to meet minimum spend next year if Barrass leaves and other possible recruits don't eventuate.

Getting the feeling that the club will pay above value here to ensure that doesn't occur.
There’d have to be a million ways they can reach salary floor without doing anything too drastic with trade assets.

Waterman’s deal hasn’t been finalised yet - frontload the **** out of it to reflect an AA season and tack some years on.

Same concept with Allen, get to early work on a new deal that brings some $$$ forward.

Go big on Graham’s salary to get Richmond a better compo pick and grease the wheels for Baker.

There’s options that go beyond ‘we won’t meet the floor so trade overs to get him in’, surely.

I don’t want us to be giving up picks in this draft, they need to be used on young talent

Use our F2 plus some steak knives if necessary but that needs to be what we give up, even if Baker is arguably worth more

I’m also not convinced Fremantle will make a better offer
They won’t.

Was interesting to hear the footy podcast with Schofield and Skeeter Readings this arvo and they brought up the hypothetical trade of Baker and 10 for pick 3 and they both said they'd take it in an instant 🤷‍♂️

One thing I’ve noticed with Will, and this is an observation rather than a criticism, is that he’s not really a draft watcher and doesn’t have a good handle on trade values. I get the feeling it’s not really something he’s all that interested in

Pick 3 for Baker and 10 is a horrid trade

Was interesting to hear the footy podcast with Schofield and Skeeter Readings this arvo and they brought up the hypothetical trade of Baker and 10 for pick 3 and they both said they'd take it in an instant 🤷‍♂️
Bizarre.

Schofield is very critical about the lack of talent on WC’s list.
A moments thought enables the realisation that you are far more likely to get a good player with #3 than #10.

I will be ropable if we cash in #3 for #10 and Baker. Getting to the point where I don’t want Baker at all.
Please Fremantle take him and save us from ourselves.

There’d have to be a million ways they can reach salary floor without doing anything too drastic with trade assets.

Waterman’s deal hasn’t been finalised yet - frontload the **** out of it to reflect an AA season and tack some years on.

Same concept with Allen, get to early work on a new deal that brings some $$$ forward.

Go big on Graham’s salary to get Richmond a better compo pick and grease the wheels for Baker.

There’s options that go beyond ‘we won’t meet the floor so trade overs to get him in’, surely.
Excuse the intrusion but i posted similar thoughts on our board

e.g Eagles have made Graham a 4 year deal on say $500k a year
Richmond has matched and lets say increased the offer to $650k x 4 years
Eagles feel that he is a great leader and the perfect fit culturally to lead younger player based on your list managers advise
Decide to up Graham contract to $950k x 4 years ensuring Band 1 for Richmond

Richmond & Eagles cannot agree on a suitable trade for Baker eagles offer F2 and Richmond rightfully reject and demand #12 you get from the Hawks. this goes on until the last day and AFL get called into mediate
No success and Richmond walk out of the negotiations and trade period ends
Baker enters the PSD withonly wanting to go to the eagles

Win / Win just costs West Coast $400k a year more for Graham contract

If Frawley & McKay & Battle get Band 1 no reason to think Graham cant

* Probably let Blight just leave as a delisted free agent as well

I have a sneaky feeling this is the preferred for Blair & Clarke

Excuse the intrusion but i posted similar thoughts on our board

e.g Eagles have made Graham a 4 year deal on say $500k a year
Richmond has matched and lets say increased the offer to $650k x 4 years
Eagles feel that he is a great leader and the perfect fit culturally to lead younger player based on your list managers advise
Decide to up Graham contract to $950k x 4 years ensuring Band 1 for Richmond

Richmond & Eagles cannot agree on a suitable trade for Baker eagles offer F2 and Richmond rightfully reject and demand #12 you get from the Hawks. this goes on until the last day and AFL get called into mediate
No success and Richmond walk out of the negotiations and trade period ends
Baker enters the PSD withonly wanting to go to the eagles

Win / Win just costs West Coast $400k a year more for Graham contract

If Frawley & McKay & Battle get Band 1 no reason to think Graham cant

* Probably let Blight just leave as a delisted free agent as well
You have made some fundamental errors with your post

1. You did not come in peace, you asked to be excused

2. Your maths is wrong. $950k is $450k above the supposed offer not $400k. In other words it is pretty close to double what we supposedly offer because he is a nice guy. The Nice Guy excuse only works for Brisbane and Cameron.

3. To pay a spud that much and give you pick 2, thereby moving us back to pick 4 plus a further drop back of 12 to 13, the 2 clubs would need to be in cahoots. Yet your scenario suggest we are arguing on the Baker trade.

4. If we generate pick 2 for Graham, I would expect your club would give us a share of the bounty. Using your logic, the suitable counter would be that you say thank you for 2 and 24 (23 now 24) and hand over Bolton and Baker as well. Tigers should be happy with 2 and 24 for those 2 players and Eagles happy we get Bolton and Baker for the cost of a 1 place push back on our picks and the loss of pick 23.

5. Nothing stopping Norf from picking Baker in the PSD. Baker is already in Melbourne and Norf could benefit from him. Why not test his resolve and call his bluff. If he refuses to adhere to the draft rules, he will be banned by the AFL and miss out on a multi million dollar deal.

6. In what world is Baker worth pick 12?

I checked the date and comfortable it is not April Fools Day

Therefore my only explanation for your post is thinking you must be Jon Ralph’s nephew.

Next time you think you have another deal like this one, save the embarrassment and keep on your own board

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back