List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
There’d have to be a million ways they can reach salary floor without doing anything too drastic with trade assets.

Waterman’s deal hasn’t been finalised yet - frontload the **** out of it to reflect an AA season and tack some years on.

Same concept with Allen, get to early work on a new deal that brings some $$$ forward.

Go big on Graham’s salary to get Richmond a better compo pick and grease the wheels for Baker.

There’s options that go beyond ‘we won’t meet the floor so trade overs to get him in’, surely.
I assumed this was all accepted

One thing I’ve noticed with Will, and this is an observation rather than a criticism, is that he’s not really a draft watcher and doesn’t have a good handle on trade values. I get the feeling it’s not really something he’s all that interested in

Pick 3 for Baker and 10 is a horrid trade

Yeah the other day he said what are they gonna get for Barrass a 2nd round pick and a sweetener? He’s a proper nuff with draft talk.

Yeah the other day he said what are they gonna get for Barrass a 2nd round pick and a sweetener? He’s a proper nuff with draft talk.
I think will is trying to stay relevant in the media cornes style. Hard takes, bs
If this is the route he's trying to take to promote his media career I hope he fails miserably

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing I’ve noticed with Will, and this is an observation rather than a criticism, is that he’s not really a draft watcher and doesn’t have a good handle on trade values. I get the feeling it’s not really something he’s all that interested in

Pick 3 for Baker and 10 is a horrid trade
They were both all in on splitting pick 1 last year too. I wouldn’t take much from anything they say on draft and trade either.

It's just indicative of the society we live in now.
I can't tell off the tradesmen I have under me anymore because one of them went literally crying to the boss and I got told off for it.

I have to be nice to him despite multiple **** ups.

Participation trophies, attendance certificates at school....shit Iike this has ****ed up kids so when they are adults all they think is necessary is to show up to get a reward.
Its the same issue in white collar jobs.

Dont know if its just this generation. But they want to do bare minimum and expect more money for it.

It's just indicative of the society we live in now.
I can't tell off the tradesmen I have under me anymore because one of them went literally crying to the boss and I got told off for it.

I have to be nice to him despite multiple **** ups.

Participation trophies, attendance certificates at school....shit Iike this has ****ed up kids so when they are adults all they think is necessary is to show up to get a reward.
100% agree, I’m am tradesmen that changed careers at 30, 52yrs old now.
Standards have dropped across the board and there are multiple reasons for it.
I run a tight ship coaching junior footy, only lost one game in 7 years, but they introduced so much participation bullshit it makes it very difficult almost unenjoyable, kids that don’t come to training don’t message and roll up to play on game day expecting a good outcome…………hahaha not on my watch!
The parents hate you for not playing their little precious.
We need a good war🤣

It's amazing kids these days aren't fully committed to their employers when their employers are no longer committed to them. I'd be surprised if you can find many under the age of ~40 who haven't been through at least one redundancy, no matter how well they have been performing.

The days of the old man who worked for their employer for 40 years and got a silver watch upon retirement are long gone.

Last edited:
It's amazing kids these days aren't fully committed to their employers when their employers are no longer committed to them. I'd be surprised if you can find many under the age of ~40 who haven't been through at least on redundancy, no matter how well they have been performing.

The days of the old man who worked for their employer for 40 years and got a silver watch upon retirement are long gone.
I was a manager in hospitality for 10 years before moving into IT and I worked in some high end properties with very accomplished chefs.

I was able to get the best out of my teams without screaming and yelling at them but rather I put the time in to understand how to get the best out of them, even if I myself respond better to direct criticism.

Younger generations simply don't give a shit when someone loses their lolly anymore, especially in hospitality, because it's so easy for them to get another job, whilst it's difficult to find good staff.

It's really not that difficult to manage them without losing your cool.

I was a manager in hospitality for 10 years before moving into IT and I worked in some high end properties with very accomplished chefs.

I was able to get the best out of my teams without screaming and yelling at them but rather I put the time in to understand how to get the best out of them, even if I myself respond better to direct criticism.

Younger generations simply don't give a shit when someone loses their lolly anymore, especially in hospitality, because it's so easy for them to get another job, whilst it's difficult to find good staff.

It's really not that difficult to manage them without losing your cool.
Special comments from the day trader😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My junior football club was fun and didn’t make all of the kids despise showing up, but what I wouldn’t have given for someone five times my age to scream at me. It would have made the XL Killer Python taste all the better, knowing I’d actually earned it.

There’d have to be a million ways they can reach salary floor without doing anything too drastic with trade assets.

Waterman’s deal hasn’t been finalised yet - frontload the **** out of it to reflect an AA season and tack some years on.

Same concept with Allen, get to early work on a new deal that brings some $$$ forward.

Go big on Graham’s salary to get Richmond a better compo pick and grease the wheels for Baker.

There’s options that go beyond ‘we won’t meet the floor so trade overs to get him in’, surely.

Completely agree with you here, was just something that came up in an unrelated conversation with someone when trying to dig for information about the coaching job.

Any other details on this or anything else that could be of interest to us that you’ve heard?

Not too much really.

Swans are trying to shop P.Ladhams to us, no idea if there is interest.

They also want nothing less than a 2nd rounder for A.Sheldrick, although it appears he's not interested anyway. Was an insinuation that if D.Cox took the coaching job, Sheldrick would follow.

Club still seems keen on D.Robertson as well for reasons unknown.

Uncertainty over the coaching role is definitely impacting the willingness of players to come across.

My junior football club was fun and didn’t make all of the kids despise showing up, but what I wouldn’t have given for someone five times my age to scream at me. It would have made the XL Killer Python taste all the better, knowing I’d actually earned it.
Wait, wtf? You guys got given XL Killer Pythons after the game?? Talk about a participation trophy.
All we got was a drink of water and a f**k off see you at training, don't be late or you'll be running 100 laps.

Kids these days. They don't know how unlucky they are not to have some alcoholic father yell at them for being shit, as he takes it out on them that he works in a dead end job and didn't make it to the AFL, despite being 5"8, having no discernible athletic traits and being overweight since he was in primary school.

Wait, wtf? You guys got given XL Killer Pythons after the game?? Talk about a participation trophy.
All we got is a drink of water and a f**k off see you at training, don't be late or you'll be running 100 laps.
Oh wow, you guys had an oval to run laps on, must be nice.

Kids these days. They don't know how unlucky they are not to have some alcoholic father yell at them for being shit, as he takes it out on them that he works in a dead end job and didn't make it to the AFL, despite being 5"8, having no discernible athletic traits and being overweight since he was in primary school.
Derailing the thread entirely but it jumped the shark at Graham for Band 1.

I remember once at footy, this dad came out to my opponent as the runner, gave him some message, and as he ran off yelled out “don’t tell him you’ve got a knife in your pocket!”

And I just remember thinking, as a 10 or 12 year old or whatever…what a dickhead. For a start the footy shorts didn’t even have pockets, but also what was that meant to do? Are you sledging a child in a game of Sunday morning footy? Would the knife not just stab your kid before anyone else got injured? Why are you like this?

Some of the most divorced behaviour I’ve ever witnessed on a footy field.

I’m loving the idea of starting the discussions with Tigers and pick 3 for Baker

Here are the assumptions
Rioli to Suns for pick 6
Bolton to Freo for 10 and Port R1 pick say 15 and some later picks going back
Barrass with fully paid 2 years salary for R1 (12) and F1
Trade to Suns Hawks F1 for Doggies pick 16

Pick 3 and 23 to Tigers for 6 15 and Baker

Take to the draft 6 12 15 16 and anything we get for Ryan and or Darling

Lesson being. Stop pissing your pants about pick 3 and Baker. Look at the whole deal and truth is we collectively know SFA. Oh, and Jon Ralph is flog
We aren't getting 2 first rounders for a 30 year old. Just isn't happening

Derailing the thread entirely but it jumped the shark at Graham for Band 1.

I remember once at footy, this dad came out to my opponent as the runner, gave him some message, and as he ran off yelled out “don’t tell him you’ve got a knife in your pocket!”

And I just remember thinking, as a 10 or 12 year old or whatever…what a dickhead. For a start the footy shorts didn’t even have pockets, but also what was that meant to do? Are you sledging a child in a game of Sunday morning footy? Would the knife not just stab your kid before anyone else got injured? Why are you like this?

Some of the most divorced behaviour I’ve ever witnessed on a footy field.
I'll counter that with some of the best I ever saw - hockey, not footy. Just to try and restore your faith.

Under 11s hockey game and we had just scored a goal on the opposition. As me and other players were jogging back to our spots, post-goal, the goalie came up behind the bloke who scored the goal and whacked him in the back of the head.

The coach (and a parent of another kid) made him stand behind the goals for the remainder of the game, and didn't replace the goalie. Being merciless 10 year olds, we ended up piling on about 15 goals that day. Even as a kid I thought that was a remarkable way to show this kid the consequences of his actions on people he cared about (his teammates, not him personally).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back