List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll counter that with some of the best I ever saw - hockey, not footy. Just to try and restore your faith.

Under 11s hockey game and we had just scored a goal on the opposition. As me and other players were jogging back to our spots, post-goal, the goalie came up behind the bloke who scored the goal and whacked him in the back of the head.

The coach (and a parent of another kid) made him stand behind the goals for the remainder of the game, and didn't replace the goalie. Being merciless 10 year olds, we ended up piling on about 15 goals that day. Even as a kid I thought that was a remarkable way to show this kid the consequences of his actions on people he cared about (his teammates, not him personally).
There's teaching someone the consequences of their actions, then there's public humiliation and collective punishment that will lead to further victimisation from his friends.

He was 10 for christs sake.

Would not recommend this approach.

Last edited:
Can't wait for Keys to chip in about the time his parents confiscated his hoop and stick game for not finishing his bowl of liver with onions and he's never been the same since.

Kids these days. They don't know how unlucky they are not to have some alcoholic father yell at them for being shit, as he takes it out on them that he works in a dead end job and didn't make it to the AFL, despite being 5"8, having no discernible athletic traits and being overweight since he was in primary school.
I coach junior and women's soccer.

Believe me, there's still a lot of angry, frustrated men working out their issues on the sideline every weekend.

I was a manager in hospitality for 10 years before moving into IT and I worked in some high end properties with very accomplished chefs.

I was able to get the best out of my teams without screaming and yelling at them but rather I put the time in to understand how to get the best out of them, even if I myself respond better to direct criticism.

Younger generations simply don't give a shit when someone loses their lolly anymore, especially in hospitality, because it's so easy for them to get another job, whilst it's difficult to find good staff.

It's really not that difficult to manage them without losing your cool.
You obviously think telling someone off means losing your cool.

I'm not advocating being a campaigner or screaming at people although it may have helped our footy team at times.

Just talking about addressing the errors and highlighting the **** ups and asking them to comply with regulations and do a better job.

Some don't like that at all and go to water because they have been raised with padding their entire lives and rewarded for showing up thinking that's all you have to do.

People who pay you a wage expect results

You obviously think telling someone off means losing your cool.

I'm not advocating being a campaigner or screaming at people although it may have helped our footy team at times.

Just talking about addressing the errors and highlighting the **** ups and asking them to comply with regulations and do a better job.

Some don't like that at all and go to water because they have been raised with padding their entire lives and rewarded for showing up thinking that's all you have to do.

People who pay you a wage expect results
Oh I'd tell people off all the time but it's how you do it that's important.

People are generally far more receptive if you explain to them their mistake, why it was bad and how they can avoid it next time.

Obviously if they're consistently ****ing up the same thing then that's an issue and they need to understand that's unacceptable and there will be consequences but it's not necessary to be a dick about it, unlike some people I've seen in my time.

Can't wait for Keys to chip in about the time his parents confiscated his hoop and stick game for not finishing his bowl of liver with onions and he's never been the same since.

Was the hoop invented? Barely had the wheel I heard.

There's teaching someone the consequences of their actions, then there's public humiliation and collective punishment that will lead to further victimisation from his friends.

Yeah take him home and get out that old leather belt

Excuse the intrusion but i posted similar thoughts on our board

e.g Eagles have made Graham a 4 year deal on say $500k a year
Richmond has matched and lets say increased the offer to $650k x 4 years
Eagles feel that he is a great leader and the perfect fit culturally to lead younger player based on your list managers advise
Decide to up Graham contract to $950k x 4 years ensuring Band 1 for Richmond

Richmond & Eagles cannot agree on a suitable trade for Baker eagles offer F2 and Richmond rightfully reject and demand #12 you get from the Hawks. this goes on until the last day and AFL get called into mediate
No success and Richmond walk out of the negotiations and trade period ends
Baker enters the PSD withonly wanting to go to the eagles

Win / Win just costs West Coast $400k a year more for Graham contract

If Frawley & McKay & Battle get Band 1 no reason to think Graham cant

* Probably let Blight just leave as a delisted free agent as well
Graham getting band one free agent compensation and pick12 for Baker are equally absurd propositions.

If Graham is allowed band 1 compensation then that will be the end of that system, possibly for the better.
Average players like Ben McKay and Battle and Graham being taken as elite.

Very few people here would be happy handing over a first round pick for Baker, we would rather he just remain in Melbourne.

Looks like a pretty bitter trade period coming up.

Last edited:
Graham getting band one free agent compensation and pick12 for Baker are both equally absurd ideas.

If Graham is allowed band 1 compensation then that will be the end of that system, possibly for the better.
Average players like Ben McKay and Battle and Graham being taken as being elite.

Very few people here would be happy handing over a first round pick, we would rather he just remain in Melbourne.

The AFL set a rod for it's own back with McKay. They wanted North to have that band 1 compo in lieu of giving them priority picks, so they set the benchmark to ensure it happened. So we now have players who have never been AA, and wouldn't be considered top 10 for their position are getting Band 1. Just diabolical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adult leaders praise in public and correct in private. It's an immutable rule.

Excuse the intrusion but i posted similar thoughts on our board

e.g Eagles have made Graham a 4 year deal on say $500k a year
Richmond has matched and lets say increased the offer to $650k x 4 years
Eagles feel that he is a great leader and the perfect fit culturally to lead younger player based on your list managers advise
Decide to up Graham contract to $950k x 4 years ensuring Band 1 for Richmond

Richmond & Eagles cannot agree on a suitable trade for Baker eagles offer F2 and Richmond rightfully reject and demand #12 you get from the Hawks. this goes on until the last day and AFL get called into mediate
No success and Richmond walk out of the negotiations and trade period ends
Baker enters the PSD withonly wanting to go to the eagles

Win / Win just costs West Coast $400k a year more for Graham contract

If Frawley & McKay & Battle get Band 1 no reason to think Graham cant

* Probably let Blight just leave as a delisted free agent as well
How does it look for culture when you ship out an underpaid Barrass who broke his back for the side. To bring in a couple of go home mummies boys from a failing club and pay 4x more than Harley is getting.

How does it look for culture when you ship out an underpaid Barrass who broke his back for the side. To bring in a couple of go home mummies boys from a failing club and pay 4x more than Harley is getting.
Probably the same way it looks when you let Barrass go for not giving him a 100k increase
if its about getting assets then this is exactly the same.

In a perfect world we would have both but when you are where our teams are you need to grab any opportunity you can

So, does Hawks post season success have any impact on their first round pick and where that falls?

I always thought it was purely based on regular season ladder standing at the end of the season

So, does Hawks post season success have any impact on their first round pick and where that falls?

I always thought it was purely based on regular season ladder standing at the end of the season

Draft pick positions are based on post-finals results, so it definitely does impact.

Depending on results, it could theoretically fall anywhere between 11 and 18.

Graham getting band one free agent compensation and pick12 for Baker are both equally absurd propositions.

Average players like Ben McKay and Battle and Graham being taken as elite.

Very few people here would be happy handing over a first round pick for Baker, we would rather he just remain in Melbourne.

Naive much?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrass was pushed out for the pick, that is understandable in our situation (I dont know what he was promised). However it is much harder to logically process if they bring in Baker or Graham. Richmond and WCE should not be dealing because they are both in the same situation and so they cant get a mutually beneficial outcome.

There’d have to be a million ways they can reach salary floor without doing anything too drastic with trade assets.

Waterman’s deal hasn’t been finalised yet - frontload the **** out of it to reflect an AA season and tack some years on.

Same concept with Allen, get to early work on a new deal that brings some $$$ forward.

Go big on Graham’s salary to get Richmond a better compo pick and grease the wheels for Baker.

There’s options that go beyond ‘we won’t meet the floor so trade overs to get him in’, surely.
The Graham one being the most obvious. Huge front ended deal for a short/mid term play, that gets Richmond a good compo pick, which should also reduce the price of Baker.

Really can’t be that hard to work that out with Richmond. Abuse the system to get a win for everybody

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back