List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Why stop there.
The Simpsons GIF

I coach junior and women's soccer.

Believe me, there's still a lot of angry, frustrated men working out their issues on the sideline every weekend.
Mate, he king hit a bloke. Sure he was just a kid, but that was wild. I did omit that the coach also stayed with him and talked with him (note, didn't yell at him) throughout. He wasn't eviscerated by any means (and, if memory serves, he came out for the hand shakes and apologised). I'm not sure what else you do in that moment? Keep him on the field?

Anyway, wildly off topic I know, so to conclude: parents and kids sports be wild.

I coach junior and women's soccer.

Believe me, there's still a lot of angry, frustrated men working out their issues on the sideline every weekend.
Absolutely. Back when our son was playing junior school footy I was astonished by the amount of feral parents and their abusive behaviour towards coaches and oppo teams. Even some coaches swearing and abusing the oppo/parents, such was their competitive drive - at junior school footy!? Mum's are just as bad too.

Absolutely. Back when our son was playing junior school footy I was astonished by the amount of feral parents and their abusive behaviour towards coaches and oppo teams. Even some coaches swearing and abusing the oppo/parents, such was their competitive drive - at junior school footy!? Mum's are just as bad too.
I was a hockey umpire for a bit many years ago as a teenager. The antics from parents were insane

Probably the same way it looks when you let Barrass go for not giving him a 100k increase
if its about getting assets then this is exactly the same.

In a perfect world we would have both but when you are where our teams are you need to grab any opportunity you can
Would be better for everyone if you kept him for another year then we give him a front loaded band1 offer. Better pick for you next year than you would get off us this year.

The AFL set a rod for it's own back with McKay. They wanted North to have that band 1 compo in lieu of giving them priority picks, so they set the benchmark to ensure it happened. So we now have players who have never been AA, and wouldn't be considered top 10 for their position are getting Band 1. Just diabolical.

Yeah but they went out of their way to explain that the ‘formula’ was based on 2023 and historic wages, even though the first wage McKay was to be paid by the bombers was under the 2024 and onwards cap (after a significant increase).

It was blatant manipulation, but not the first and will not be the last time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see how we get a single 1st round pick for Barrass because he turns 40 in ten years
Only a third rounder because he'll be dead in 75 years.

Only a third rounder because he'll be dead in 75 years.

Pretty sure they had this one on McClure's graphic about how old West Coast players will be in 75 years.

Yeah but they went out of their way to explain that the ‘formula’ was based on 2023 and historic wages, even though the first wage McKay was to be paid by the bombers was under the 2024 and onwards cap (after a significant increase).

It was blatant manipulation, but not the first and will not be the last time.

Thats why the eagles and tigers should manipulate the system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My junior football club was fun and didn’t make all of the kids despise showing up, but what I wouldn’t have given for someone five times my age to scream at me. It would have made the XL Killer Python taste all the better, knowing I’d actually earned it.
Aw dude change back your profile GIF, I love see Harley putting those blokes one their arse. Never gets old

Completely agree with you here, was just something that came up in an unrelated conversation with someone when trying to dig for information about the coaching job.

Not too much really.

Swans are trying to shop P.Ladhams to us, no idea if there is interest.

They also want nothing less than a 2nd rounder for A.Sheldrick, although it appears he's not interested anyway. Was an insinuation that if D.Cox took the coaching job, Sheldrick would follow.

Club still seems keen on D.Robertson as well for reasons unknown.
Leadership, character. A Ben Keays type.

Someone who will win one game a season for you, purely through running harder and longer than everyone else.
Uncertainty over the coaching role is definitely impacting the willingness of players to come across.

lets pretend eagles do your idea and give graham 950k a season.

no doubt tigers would be happy, you get a pick 2 and no further consequences.

Now aside from the acquisition of graham and baker, imagine any other player on our list in the future using graham as a benchmark for their worth. It would have long lasting impact and do immense damage to our ability to keep players and keep the harmony on the list.

A truly awful idea.

It is already happening. Graham isn’t worth band 2 or 3 (same pick anyway in reality) - but if he decides to head west that will be the compo.

I know you may want band 1, but that just isn’t happening (would destroy what is left of the Eagles culture). But I think there will be a private recognition that the Eagles have stepped in to bump the compo pick up a band… and probably a public whinge about Baker going for ‘significant unders’ so there is no accusation of tampering.

22 + 24, or say 15-17 range + 39. In an even draft option 1 seems better.

That’s even if the Eagles are willing to offer a 2024 pick. We are in the same position as the Tigers, needing to maximise our draft hand prior to Tassie joining. We may say F2 or bust.

The worst part is it gets normalised in the kids.

One coached yelled at one of his 17 year old strikers, who missed a shot on goal: "I can't believe you ****ing missed that!"

Our girls were talking amongst themselves on the field, saying "you can't say that" and one of theirs piped up "don't shit talk our coach."

Leadership, character. A Ben Keays type.

Someone who will win one game a season for you, purely through running harder and longer than everyone else.
I mean this sincerely, what's stopping him getting a game with you guys if he has these qualities?

Excuse the intrusion but i posted similar thoughts on our board

e.g Eagles have made Graham a 4 year deal on say $500k a year
Richmond has matched and lets say increased the offer to $650k x 4 years
Eagles feel that he is a great leader and the perfect fit culturally to lead younger player based on your list managers advise
Decide to up Graham contract to $950k x 4 years ensuring Band 1 for Richmond

Richmond & Eagles cannot agree on a suitable trade for Baker eagles offer F2 and Richmond rightfully reject and demand #12 you get from the Hawks. this goes on until the last day and AFL get called into mediate
No success and Richmond walk out of the negotiations and trade period ends
Baker enters the PSD withonly wanting to go to the eagles

Win / Win just costs West Coast $400k a year more for Graham contract

If Frawley & McKay & Battle get Band 1 no reason to think Graham cant

* Probably let Blight just leave as a delisted free agent as well
Jon Ralph is that you?

Complete insanity

Kids these days. They don't know how unlucky they are not to have some alcoholic father yell at them for being shit, as he takes it out on them that he works in a dead end job and didn't make it to the AFL, despite being 5"8, having no discernible athletic traits and being overweight since he was in primary school.
After going to a couple of my nephew's footy games recently I 100% reckon parents are a lot more feral now at kids sport than back when I was playing junior sport in the late 80s/early 90s.
Some of the shit they were yelling a few weeks ago at the umpire in a game for 11 year olds was ****ing terrible

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back