List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
But how much is recruitment vs lack of development?

Impossible to ever answer but it's probably somewhere in between
Impossible to ever answer, AYE🫡

And our recruiting mistakes are many, however the amount of "maybes" that should be able to come in and play a role at least has been terrible.

Also we cant judge guys too harshly-Petruccelle as an example: in a good team would cause massive headaches for the opposition, and while he's a handy player we lack the means to get the ball in his hands to cause that kind of damage.

Plus retaining guys who will never make it kind of splits the middle
We aren't giving more options a go (recruiting).
Can we not tell that these guys simply aren't good enough, or developing quickly enough to be of use? (development)

Going by what WCEPhil mentioned about a higher profile player and still hoping for two top 20 picks i'm putting my Obeanie mega trade hat on and dive in.

WCE Trade: Tom Barrass
Hawks Trade: 2024 1st (15) and 2025 1st.

WCE Trade: Picks 3,15 (Barrass) & 23
Tigers Trade: Liam Baker, Pick 6 (Rioli) Pick 9 (Bolton) and pick 41. (Plus we pay Graham overs to net them a juicy pick)

WCE Trade: Pick 6, 9 and future 1st (Hawks)
Swans Trade: Chad Warner, Picks 19 & 20.

End results.

Tigers upgrade picks 6 into 3 and 41 into 23 for the downgrade of 15 into 9 and Liam Baker.

Swans get two top 10 picks for Warner but lose two end of first round picks for Hawks future 1st.

Eagles lose Tom Barrass and picks 3 and 23 for Chad Warner, Liam Baker, 19, 20 and 41.

Wouldn't that be lovely.

Wouldn't that be lovely.

What About Bob Time GIF

Last edited:
Hahahaha Baker for pick 3 Richmond are dreaming maybe a 3rd rounder, Maybe there 1st round pick & baker gets them our 3rd. If they want our 3rd pick its Baker & Shai Bolton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They moved back one spot in the first round of last years draft that helped them a 26yo untried player from the VFL. So probably yes
We need another white knight to swoop in and save us from our selves, ala Curtin last year

Let's prey Freo bundle up their picks and want Bolton & Baker

Any one keen on Alex Dodson with pick 23? Since we can't attract a decent ruck, shouldn't we get the best available?

That’s what we thought we we’re getting in 2022 when we drafted Barnett

Don’t think drafting another young ruck is the answer

007 pops up and gives the same throwaway lines he always has and people eat it up 🍸

"Let's just say, the club is looking into it.."
"Oh really, well what makes you say that we aren't doing exactly that..?"
"Not everything plays out in the media, just because you haven't read about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.."
"There's a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment in that space.."

At least Phil, when he's not talking about the large amount of high quality TRIM he gets on his party island 🏝️ 🍾, divulges what appears to be some actual relevant information. Whether made up or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back